FW Dark Angels upgrade kit

"White Scars, Blood Angels and Dark Angels are all in the next book. They will have legion rules but no characters or legion specific units.

Book 6 will cover shattered legions and will focus on players creating own narratives for small scale engagements.

Future book will be Thramas and Signis Prime (mirroring the old Blood Angels/Dark Angels codex)

Prospero may not even be book 7. They need to ensure that they can produce the entire range quickly and efficiently and not keep people waiting. To create all the models needed for Prospero would take about a year."

"White Scars, Blood Angels and Dark Angels are all in the next book. They will have legion rules but no characters or legion specific units.

Book 6 will cover shattered legions and will focus on players creating own narratives for small scale engagements.

Future book will be Thramas and Signis Prime (mirroring the old Blood Angels/Dark Angels codex)

Prospero may not even be book 7. They need to ensure that they can produce the entire range quickly and efficiently and not keep people waiting. To create all the models needed for Prospero would take about a year."

I don't think prospero will be 7 maybe 8. They need to do more to flesh out the space wolves before prospero can burn. And they haven't even touched that yet.

That info i get from battlebunnies.

Rumours is 1k sons upgrade set will be out hopefully this September ans 30k Space Wolves would be played differently than 40k.

Prospero would be a year.

I am sadly underwelmed with the dark Angels. There is nothing about the the helmet or torso that makes me think Dark Angel. If you had shown me these guys with out the shoulder symbol (which looks like it's been stuck on badly as an after thought) I doubt I could have picked out which chapter they represent. The blood Angels on the other hand you could pick out straight away. I hate to be negative as I have been waiting for them for so long. Here's hoping they grow on me.

I am sadly underwelmed with the dark Angels. There is nothing about the the helmet or torso that makes me think Dark Angel. If you had shown me these guys with out the shoulder symbol (which looks like it's been stuck on badly as an after thought) I doubt I could have picked out which chapter they represent. The blood Angels on the other hand you could pick out straight away. I hate to be negative as I have been waiting for them for so long. Here's hoping they grow on me.

Gotta say this pretty much sums up my thoughts.

I liked the chainswords, but that was about it.

Helms were a change of pace but nothing about them say DA, knighltly order or Monks.

Gotta say this pretty much sums up my thoughts.

I liked the chainswords, but that was about it.

Helms were a change of pace but nothing about them say DA, knighltly order or Monks.

Have to agree and I'm new =]

Winged helms? Robes?

I won't freak out yet though, maybe they will do a "veterans" upgrade like they did with the World Eaters.

These look good, just not what I expected (wanted).

It's not that they're bad it's just to my mind they don't say Dark Angel and yet the kit just above screams blood angels at the top of its voice as does the recent ultramarine release

Meh...FW's Deathwing shoulder pads are excellent, and so are GW's...but these are garbage...I wish they'd re-issue the old "grand master of the ravenwing" shoulder pad...it was the downward pointed winged sword (they made an almost identical one with a broken sword for 1st company vets in power armor-heresy!) where the wings were realistic, and filled the space, unlike the stylized ones you can get in plastic now. You can kind of see the pad on the two beaked marines in this old pic of mine...you can see the wings, not so much the sword:

gallery_13203_846_263671.jpg

Exactly without the shoulder pad i wouldnt be able to tell that they are Dark Angels, look like generic marine armour.

Where are the robes and hoods?Where are the slain Calibanite Lion grieves/pelts that they wore? Winged Helmets? 

There are some better Horus Heresy DA conversions on this and warseer forums compared to what FW put out.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Marine1.jpg

And this is what their own art shows DA looked like in HH, their models dont really look anything like that, also DA had more power swords than chain swords it seems?

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Reference.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/e/ed/Fallen-Angels-neil-roberts.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PtA_6dCly2c/VDMqhgAO1MI/AAAAAAAAKPA/84r7hddrBwo/s1600/DescentofAngels.jpg

And this is what their own art shows DA looked like in HH, their models dont really look anything like that, also DA had more power swords than chain swords it seems?

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa27/desmondhng/PreHeresyDarkAngelBlog/Reference.jpg

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/e/ed/Fallen-Angels-neil-roberts.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PtA_6dCly2c/VDMqhgAO1MI/AAAAAAAAKPA/84r7hddrBwo/s1600/DescentofAngels.jpg

This is it. Make this please

(they made an almost identical one with a broken sword for 1st company vets in power armor-heresy!)

Back in the day they could have power armoured 1st company, check out the 40k compilation. 

I will hold judgement until we see the rest of the FW HH DA kits to come.  If what I read is correct, there should be several other elite units to come.  Thinking these are the base legionnaires and the winged helms and robes will follow on the elites.

Never Forget! Never Forgive!

+1  I love those helmets!

(they made an almost identical one with a broken sword for 1st company vets in power armor-heresy!)

Back in the day they could have power armoured 1st company, check out the 40k compilation. 

I know this...doesn't make it right...back in the  day, they worshiped Anubis, too...would the God-Emperor stand for that now?  

+1  I love those helmets!

I know this...doesn't make it right...back in the  day, they worshiped Anubis, too...would the God-Emperor stand for that now?  

God-Emperor... He is no god!!!!!!! *Fumes*

The robes and hoods will be on the special units. The upgrade kits are meant to be mixed in with plain marks of armor. It's up to the players themselves to do more/less with the aesthetics of their legion.

This. Tsk tsk, how quickly you hot-blooded pups forget your own Legion's traditions. msn-wink.giftongue.png

The winged helms, robes & hoods are the hallmarks of veteran marines, of course the line legionnaires wouldn't have them.

The winged helms, robes & hoods are the hallmarks of veteran marines, of course the line legionnaires wouldn't have them.

Source? This has been the assumed style based on 40k norms and has nothing to do with the background in the HH, that simply hasn't been fleshed out yet. Not in Black Library books nor from FW HH books. What's more likely is that these represent proto DA rather than Calibanite DA, and we'll see robes and wings on unique units later on.

Like most people I'm a bit 'meh' on these. They're good, not great, and they don't scream DA to me. I'll happily take them and they're not as bad as the DV marines (which I would have expected anyway) so I'm happy to not be devastated. As a DA player that's about as good as things get though.

Goods news is we'll be seeing HH DA rules sooner rather than later. How typical that it means no characters or unique units though. I wonder if we'll ever get a release that isn't a compromise or a disappointment in some way.

In most of the HH artworks the DA wear very few robes...

The look is more towards the one BT have now...

More tabards and cloaks (sometimes with hoods) than full robes...

I think that for the rank and file marines of the first legion this upgrade kit is perfect and i expect hoods and winged helms for veterans only...

I really like this upgrades and i will buy some for 40k too...

"He was saying that there are really two sides of dark Angels, the calibanites and their later recruits, and the terrans. Much in following with the lore.

Coukd see something along these lines that will follow this, similar to the 1st book with loyalist/traitor. Who is who? You decide."

Obviously it's hard to get something concrete in here, and anything is with a handful of salt at events.

It was a convo about how the legion is seen and how they operate at the time of the heresy.

By then the lion is crusading, whilst the terrans and Luther are caliban bound. It's as if it won't be a 'United legion' like the others seem to be. But two divisions, a bit like the istvaan 3 legions were.

definately expect some kind of knight theme in rules, and said that he loves the ideas of 'pre battle vows' and making that a reality.

God knows what that means, maybe 'kill this character' or 'slay this monster' maybe?

He went a bit in depth about how the terrans aren't happy with calibanites and vice versa. And setting up for calibans civil war.

This could all be future Lore, or reflected in rulesets.

From chatting terrans and calibanites have different styles in fighting and thoughts on sidings.

It is hard to judge, and Alan is a master at spinning things, so can leave you second guessing a lot! So totally honest, these are what I got from the jist of a convo, nothing firm there unfortunately!:-)

Ah one titbit I got from the designer, special units will be a complete seperate unit, and not an upgrade pack, as it wouldn't work out with robes and legs like that."

I'm guessing something like oaths of moment, but actually meaning something and gaining a benefit from it.

Could lay the groundwork for the fall, he wasn't giving much away, but saying stuff like how the terrans fighting style didn't mix with the calibanites, and the bitterness of being left in a place they hate gives it a good feel for a divided legion. And says he'd love to portray that on the board.

Of course it keeps us all guessing and talking about it so who knows!"

From what I gathered so far.

Archived