Command Squad loadouts

bradstorm

Hi there!

The new codex has made me realise how versatile a command squad can be. And seeing as a command squad is a 0-1 option in the lions blade, I was thinking of using it as a cheap special weapons squad with or without attached IC.

My question is, what would you guys recommend as a loadout for the command squad? I'm not really looking to go all pimped out as I'm wary of points cost, and I'm not too fussed about grav-guns either... (it's just too expensive to get them for what they do).

Kitting them all out with plasma guns seems quite potent (and fluffy) but I'm worried a squad of RW black knights could do plasma better for increased survivability. Melta seems great but liable to miss with only one shot as BS4. All flamers sound great for podding in, but is it wasted on veterans? I'm not too concerned about taking any banners or apothecary/ champion, but would you recommend I take them anyway?

(My normal opponents are tau/ guard, if it helps)

Thanks in advance :)

The command squad is an interesting unit in the new codex and it's because of a few things:

1) is the sacred standard, people don't like it very much but for the company command squad is incredibly useful if a little expensive. Here we have a unit that can take heavy weapons but can't shoot them if they move that happens to be good at combat. And they have an upgrade that grants them counter attack as well as relentless. This makes for a very good close range heavy weapons team.

Using a basic example of what you could do here:

Company ceteran squad, sacred standard, multi melta, and then load everyone for bear with a close combat weapon like a power axe or a maul.

The multi melta shoots and bops the tank in the face, and then the unit follows in and crushes the men transported inside. This makes for a pretty cool mid game troop transport can opener unit.

You can also use them to supplement the firepower of other units across your turn. Using a heavy bolter or a plasma cannon and some barebones veterans maybe with a grav pistol in the mix for flavour you can shoot at a target with your big ugly gun and then charge into a scrap in your assault phase. I actually run such a unit in my 1850 list using a heavy bolter and the biggest problem was starting and stopping all the time but with relentless I don't suffer from that. You could even assault them out of a raider and do it that way.

The other command squads don't get much with the sacred standard but it's perfect for the ccs.

The apothecary is nice if you have the points and if your going up against space wolves it's fluffy to buy the the champ if your not taking another one somewhere else. But that doesn't make him any less fun to play with once and a while.

The ccs is a supporting role not a lead one, he backs up other units and props them up against adversity. And that's his role.

Command squad with sacred standard, 4 grav guns and apothecary is the cat's meow. You can unleash 12 grav shots on the go, meaning that Tau suits will melt and IG vehicles will be stripped of HP's.

You can also do it with plasma guns and the sacred standard, though it will net you less shots.

@aura_enchanted

Command Squads can`t take a heavy weapon.

@bradstorm

If you want a cheap command squad then melta guns are your best option. Put them in a pod and they will get the job done. They are the cheapest that way. Flamers are a waste on them since you can take assault squads with flamers for less, as are plasma mostly, because of black kniights. So either melta guns for an almost sure vehicle kill or like Lucifer said sacred standard + grav guns, which isn't cheap, but it is very powerful.

Command Squads come with a lot of options that end up being less effective than other options already in the book.  Yes, you can eat with the fork on your Swiss Army Knife, but if you had an actual fork, why would you.  Black Knights or an RWCS is a better Plasma platform, Deathwing Knights are better at whacking things, Tacs are better at holding objectives, Attack Bikes are better for popping tanks, and Dreads are better at just being a pain in the butt that your opponent has to deal with.  At 175 before weapon options for 4 vets, an Apothecary, and the Sacred Standard in a drop pod, there are usually better options for whatever you are trying to do.  I'm not even sold on the Grav-guns.  That build puts out a lot of dakka, but it's an expensive unit that is most likely going to die where you place it. 

I think there is something to be said for this unit in a Lion's Blade with a Ravenwing Support Squadron close by. Any assault unit would be met with a substantial amount of overwatch.

Although expensive, it is a distraction unit that must be dealt with because of the damage they can output. Even more so with an apothecary, they won't fold to anything short of concentrated fire. Anything close enough to threaten them the turn after they drop should likely be their first target (tyrannofex or similar Infantry deleting units)

I think there is something to be said for this unit in a Lion's Blade with a Ravenwing Support Squadron close by. Any assault unit would be met with a substantial amount of overwatch.

This is only for RW command squads, as ravenshield only works with RW units. I think the OP is asking primarily about greenwing command squads.

Like others have said, the 5man gravgun standard bearing command squad with an apothecary is a solid loadout.  I wouldn't let the price deter you though, even though it costs as much as Azrael, the damage it can do is far more substantial.  That squad can waste an entire terminator squad (provided no storm shields), it's even got a chance to take a Bloodthirster down.

I think the main key to the command squad is surrounding it with enough threats that that your opponent is making a trade, do I pour fire into this command squad, how safe am I really? For instance, if this command squad is being flanked by 2 ravenwing bike squads with a combi grav and 2 grav guns each, who should your opponent shoot at?  

One thing I wouldn't do with this squad is drop them down in no-man's land by themselves on some suicide mission.

The only other loadout I can see is a CC oriented one.  One build I'm licking my lips to try is Ezekiel + Command Squad (power weapons/bolt pistols/apothecary), throw them in a transport, and charge into something and unleash 30 something AP3 attacks, maybe you end up getting Repugnance psyker power and give them rage, let them hack away.

Like others have said, the 5man gravgun standard bearing command squad with an apothecary is a solid loadout.  I wouldn't let the price deter you though, even though it costs as much as Azrael, the damage it can do is far more substantial.  That squad can waste an entire terminator squad (provided no storm shields), it's even got a chance to take a Bloodthirster down.

I think the main key to the command squad is surrounding it with enough threats that that your opponent is making a trade, do I pour fire into this command squad, how safe am I really? For instance, if this command squad is being flanked by 2 ravenwing bike squads with a combi grav and 2 grav guns each, who should your opponent shoot at?  

One thing I wouldn't do with this squad is drop them down in no-man's land by themselves on some suicide mission.

The only other loadout I can see is a CC oriented one.  One build I'm licking my lips to try is Ezekiel + Command Squad (power weapons/bolt pistols/apothecary), throw them in a transport, and charge into something and unleash 30 something AP3 attacks, maybe you end up getting Repugnance psyker power and give them rage, let them hack away.

Take the Chapter banner on top of that to get another additional attack each.

Don't forget the Chapter Standard. You should be able to squeeze out 40 attacks on the charge.  This is definitely the way I think would be the most fun.  Probably a waste of points but damn, that's a choppy unit.

Don't forget the Chapter Standard. You should be able to squeeze out 40 attacks on the charge.  This is definitely the way I think would be the most fun.  Probably a waste of points but damn, that's a choppy unit.

Sorry, yes that's what I meant to add as well.  I was just going to give these guys power swords and a rhino, they'd cost about as much as a 6th edition Terminator squad, but have significantly higher attacks and can both sweep and charge into difficult terrain without hitting at I1.  Yeehaw!

Ive been thinking about getting this setup:

Command Squad, apothecary, chapter banner, and three veterans with Storm Shields. Every model with a Power Sword.

You get 3 3+/3++ guys to take point, FnP in the back, and on a charge you get 22 S4 AP3 hits on a charge (27 if you bring Ezekiel in).

Not as many as you'd get for not taking the shields, but survivability would he higher... And it would just look so damn cool to have a unit of "knights", hooded and robed, sword and shield in hand.

Coolness factor of that goes to eleven

This is only for RW command squads, as ravenshield only works with RW units. I think the OP is asking primarily about greenwing command squads.

Ahh that is my bad, still getting used to all the new rules

Ive been thinking about getting this setup:

Command Squad, apothecary, chapter banner, and three veterans with Storm Shields. Every model with a Power Sword.

You get 3 3+/3++ guys to take point, FnP in the back, and on a charge you get 22 S4 AP3 hits on a charge (27 if you bring Ezekiel in).

Not as many as you'd get for not taking the shields, but survivability would he higher... And it would just look so damn cool to have a unit of "knights", hooded and robed, sword and shield in hand.

Coolness factor of that goes to eleven

I like it, but the Apothecary can't take a Power Sword. I might do this though. I have a bunch of Storm Shields that aren't going on a Terminator anytime soon dry.png

I would love reading some reports about how the relentles grav squad plays out. I consider myself building such a squad.

It sounds great on paper but i can't help, i'm still not convinced they get their points in.

Thanks for all the replies; some great ideas out there. As much as I like the idea of a squad full of grav-guns hunting riptides from turn 1, they're just too hard to find the bitz and I'm not sold on third party gravs to load them out with :s. Just a shame the veteran frame hasn't been upgraded to include them :(.

From reading replies, melta does seem to be the way to go as no other unit can do it quite like them. I like this uniqueness factor. I'll probably look into Ezekiel with a few combat vets to accompany him too. Sounds like a nice little project I can work on :)

An apothecary cannot take a powersword?? I was sure he could! T.T

negative, when they become an apothecary they stop being a company veteran therefore they can't buy weapons.

I think however that you should have a choice between giving up the pistol or the chain sword when moving to the narcelthium

negative, when they become an apothecary they stop being a company veteran therefore they can't buy weapons.

I think however that you should have a choice between giving up the pistol or the chain sword when moving to the narcelthium

The apothecary still has both a chainsword and bolt pistol. All models in the command squad are equipped with them, and when you upgrade to apothecary, he just adds a narthecium.

An apothecary cannot take a powersword?? I was sure he could! T.T

It's still one of those weird things because if he takes the power sword first he still has it when he gets his Narthecium.  The old book specifically said you traded in your bolt pistol for the narthecium, this not so sure.  Play it as you see it I guess.

Thats how I saw it. I dont know if this was intentional or an error in the codex, but ruleswise, it just says that one vetaran can take a Narthecium. No trade offs.

So, if you took a powersword in trade of the chainsword, then took a narthecium, what then? On the same note, what happens to the bolt pistol?

The Bolt pistol gets lost under the drivers seat of his brothers land speeder.

I'm pretty sure you'd get a lot of flak from TOs and opponents if you tried to put a powers word on an apothecary. Would likely be something you'd need to discuss

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the general rule I've heard is that you go down the option list one line at a time.  Since taking the Narthecium changes him to a Character with a seperate stat line, he can no longer take any of the "any Veteran" options below.  Since he is no longer a "Veteran."  However, I don't think that this is explicitly stated anywhere that there is a specific order to the options list. 

I brought this up briefly in a post about the Librarius Conclave, but my (super expensive) plan is to team up a conclave (Zeke + 3 Librarians) with a command squad in a drop pod kitted out for close combat. Ezekiel rolls on interromancy, 2 librarians roll on telepathy, and provided I get invisibility and/or shrouded, the third goes for divination for re-rolls. If all goes according to plan, that's a shrouded, invisible unit of choppy death that will either survive to assault next turn or attract every single ounce of firepower the enemy has. That being said, this setup is over 700 points. Not sure if it will EVER win back its points, but if it draws a few turns of firepower while chopping units to pieces and letting my combat squads score objectives, I'm good. I also keep wanting to but a company master with a relic blade and the lions roar in there, but I think that falls even more squarely in the "way too many eggs in one basket" category.

The down side of this is that if you are playing in a "2 detachments/formations only" environment and using a lions blade strike force, you have to choose between the conclave or a CAD/RWSF to get some black knights, who are more versatile and cheaper than this behemoth of a squad.

Archived