Inqusition and DA

Darkn3ssF4lls

So I've been thinking and it's crazy but two things

Can a inquisitor be a astartes ? The codex was pretty vague on recruitment saying, that it was up to each individual to determine if they will and who it will be.

That being said, if it is possible, only way I could think that one at lived 400 years could be. Than could it be possible one chose a DA and this DA uses his powers for his personal shame (Fallen).

Know it's crazy but just brain storming as I saw someone make a chapter and it got me thinking.

There has never been a precedent in the lore for an astartes to become an Inquisitor. I would hesitate to say that such a thing is impossible but without definitive examples to gauge against, I would err on the side of caution and advise that being an astartes and being an Inquisitor are mutually exclusive.

There has never been a precedent in the lore for an astartes to become an Inquisitor. I would hesitate to say that such a thing is impossible but without definitive examples to gauge against, I would err on the side of caution and advise that being an astartes and being an Inquisitor are mutually exclusive.

Ok, stats wise I was going to use stats of a normal either CM or Inquisitor depending on what the narrative was for that mission.

Was debating that maybe he would have been a DW or RW member so knows a bit of the lore but wouldn't have been a inner circle member.

So it could be kewl in that the CM that was assigned to the SM Detachment that went along with him would know more than he did about their Ordos Hereticus prey 

I've dabbled with the idea a few times. I usually cite Garron as a marine turned Inquisitor (though I haven't read anything more about him past Flight of the Eisenstein). Another potential example would be the Graphic Novel Bloodquest, take a marine who is excommunicated but may return having completed a quest. The marine still has his honor and an Inquisitor approaches the marine and through a shared goal work together. As the two work together, the marine's quest is rendered impossible to complete (relic destroyed, corrupted or other such calamity). With no chance to return to his chapter, the Inquisitor inducts him into the Inquisition and becomes an Inquisitor in his own rite.

It seems the most plausible method for me.

Now I did switch it around for my DIY DA Successors the Saints of the Angels. The Chapter works closely with the Inquistion for two reasons, to throw them off the scent of the DA's shame and to possibly turn an Inquisitor into an Astartes with DA geneseed. With enough loyalty to his blood brothers, the Inquisitor could work from within the Inquisition to find out more about the Fallen and to silence any who know too much about them.

I don't think marines become inquisitors. Matines are bred from war, from the owliest scout to Chapter Master. Their calling is to kill, crush and destroy, ot find answers to cosmic mysteries or uncover conspiracy and covens. Inquisitors are molded to be Inquisitors since child, since Schola Progenius time just like a marine is bred for war since he is a child if you answer one call, your mind focus on it and everything else becomes secondary.

Well technically Grey Knights are a bit of "counts-as" Inquisitors given their rarity and authority allows them to frequently pull rank, and they would be involved in positions of investigation and response by force of arms. Although given their shear bulk, they're more likely to serve as Warmaster for such an endeavor and deepstrike by teleport beacon directly into the face of corruption.

I very much doubt a space marine would ever become an Inquisitor (if anything they would abhor the idea), but I could very well see a Grey Knight sergeant leading an inquisitorial team.

There is however plenty of precedent for Marines being attached to Inquisitors (the entire Deathwatch for a start).

Would that not serve your purposes as well from a fluff point of view? An Astartes risen to become the right-hand man of an Inquisitor could surely use his powers and influence in a similar manner. After all, Astartes may be bred for combat but they are not incapable of subtlety and subterfuge.

Thank you all I like this :) excited to write something up. You are all correct you have the Grey Nights I believe for Orodo Malleus [sp] and the Deathwatch for the Ordo Hereticus [sp]. Not sure about the xenos if they have their own chapter to cal upon. Thank you Brother Belial, your book path gives me hope, will start writing stuff up but probably wont be entering anything this year.

Thank you all I like this smile.png excited to write something up. You are all correct you have the Grey Nights I believe for Orodo Malleus [sp] and the Deathwatch for the Ordo Hereticus [sp]. Not sure about the xenos if they have their own chapter to cal upon.

Actually, if we are talking of the old 'militant arm' of each Ordo concept (which may or may not have been superseded by now), it goes thus:

• Ordo Malleus - Grey Knights
  • Ordo Hereticus - Sisters of Battle
  • Ordo Xenos - Deathwatch

<p>

Thank you all I like this smile.png excited to write something up. You are all correct you have the Grey Nights I believe for Orodo Malleus [sp] and the Deathwatch for the Ordo Hereticus [sp]. Not sure about the xenos if they have their own chapter to cal upon.

Actually, if we are talking of the old 'militant arm' of each Ordo concept (which may or may not have been superseded by now), it goes thus:

• Ordo Malleus - Grey Knights
  • Ordo Hereticus - Sisters of Battle
  • Ordo Xenos - Deathwatch

My mistake only read through once thus far

I don't think marines become inquisitors. Matines are bred from war, from the owliest scout to Chapter Master. Their calling is to kill, crush and destroy, ot find answers to cosmic mysteries or uncover conspiracy and covens.

What about Alpha Legion's marine?

Also according to background from dataslate, Cypher played a role as Inqusitor.

Inquisitor do wear power armour so It's easier to Cypher to play the part of one, but that doesn't mean Marines become Inquisitors as calling, because Inqs and Marines are too different organizations that don't see eye to eye most of the times.

Specially DA. Of all Marines  I think DA would be the least inclined to become Inquisitors. Inquisitors keep tabs on each other. A DA Inquisitor would naturally be poking around for Fallen.. that would raise too many suspicions from the other Inqs...

IMHO.

Inquisitor do wear power armour so It's easier to Cypher to play the part of one, but that doesn't mean Marines become Inquisitors as calling, because Inqs and Marines are too different organizations that don't see eye to eye most of the times.

Specially DA. Of all Marines  I think DA would be the least inclined to become Inquisitors. Inquisitors keep tabs on each other. A DA Inquisitor would naturally be poking around for Fallen.. that would raise too many suspicions from the other Inqs...

IMHO.

I would agree that normally the two organizations are mutually exclusive, but there are special circumstances that would allow a marine to possibly become an Inquisitor later on in his life. Being separated from their chapter seems like one such case. I keep thinking a Black Shield from would be another case that might allow a marine to be allowed into the ranks of the Inquisition should he possess the right skills.

Agree.

But Alpha Legion is a good example that marines could be tricky, stealthy and secretive even more than ordinary inquisitor.

Also I even read a story in which Alpha Legion replace one of Inqusitor with marine.

The Alpha Legion uses a massive array of sleeper agents operating off deeply embedded directions by hypnotic suggestion. More likely one of the numerous disposable agents the Alpha Legion manipulates than an Astartes itself.

But if Cypher took the place of an Inquisitor, this might be further evidence that Zahariel is a psyker, given their numbers among the ranks of Inquisitors and guarding his mind from probing thoughts that might discover his ruse.

But if Cypher took the place of an Inquisitor, this might be further evidence that Zahariel is a psyker, given their numbers among the ranks of Inquisitors and guarding his mind from probing thoughts that might discover his ruse.

Nothing so interesting sadly. The inquisitor wore a hooded robe and instructed his goons via video link. Cypher just killed him and did the same.

I find it very unlikely that a space marine would be ever gain the rank of Inquisitor, no matter how long he's been estranged from his chapter. They're a useful tool but the Inquisition gains nothing from promoting space marines into its ranks. However a space marine could act with the Inquisitor's delegated authority just as any other henchman, acolyte or bondsman might do.

Also I even read a story in which Alpha Legion replace one of Inqusitor with marine.

Care to cite which story that was, brother?

"We Are One", J.French, tale from Hammer and Bolter - 10

Thank you. 

Why not?

Inquisitors are naturally secretive. They do things other inquisitors would kill them for and so they try to hide their work. Sounds like the DA to me. I easily could see a marine from a chapter that is all but destroyed seconded to an inquisitor; and when that inquisitor dies have his loyal marine companion carry on his work.

Why not?

Inquisitors are naturally secretive. They do things other inquisitors would kill them for and so they try to hide their work. Sounds like the DA to me. I easily could see a marine from a chapter that is all but destroyed seconded to an inquisitor; and when that inquisitor dies have his loyal marine companion carry on his work.

Okay, I have reviewed the story cited.

Aside from the use of the word 'brother' near the end (which agents working for the Alpha Legion also use, iirc), there is no suggestion (explicit or implicit) that the Inquisitor was replaced by a space marine. By my reading, he was replaced by an agent who wore a copy of his face. 

I would think that an Astartes would be a poor fit for an inquisitor. Inquisitors are (by my understanding, with a few exceptions) supposed to be able to move among a population unnoticed (some rarely do, but it seems to me that most would). They are, after all, the imperium's secret police (Gestapo). As with the Gestapo, you might not ever know you're talking to an inquisitor (Until he has you abducted for questioning/interrogation/torture/experimentation/teh lulz), and they'd form networks of informants and spies, to inform them of goings on. 

A 3-meter tall super soldier can't exactly fit into the average human society. Which would make him very limited in capacity as an inquisitor. Astartes are viewed as tools by the inquisition, daemons need fighting? Call the Grey Knights. Xenos need squashing? Get the Deathwatch. Inquisitor needs body guarding? Get an Astartes. 

You make monsters to fight monsters, and that's what the astartes are. 

I would think that an Astartes would be a poor fit for an inquisitor. Inquisitors are (by my understanding, with a few exceptions) supposed to be able to move among a population unnoticed (some rarely do, but it seems to me that most would). They are, after all, the imperium's secret police (Gestapo). As with the Gestapo, you might not ever know you're talking to an inquisitor (Until he has you abducted for questioning/interrogation/torture/experimentation/teh lulz), and they'd form networks of informants and spies, to inform them of goings on. 

A 3-meter tall super soldier can't exactly fit into the average human society. Which would make him very limited in capacity as an inquisitor. Astartes are viewed as tools by the inquisition, daemons need fighting? Call the Grey Knights. Xenos need squashing? Get the Deathwatch. Inquisitor needs body guarding? Get an Astartes. 

well thats why he would have a network of informants and spies. He doesnt need to walk among the lowly. He is a god.

Okay, I have reviewed the story cited.

Aside from the use of the word 'brother' near the end (which agents working for the Alpha Legion also use, iirc), there is no suggestion (explicit or implicit) that the Inquisitor was replaced by a space marine. By my reading, he was replaced by an agent who wore a copy of his face. 

Yep, this Alpha Legion style. You never could be sure. :) From my point of view it was space marine.

Nope. There are different types of Inqusitor with different approach to perfome duty.

Some of them (mostly Ordo Malleus, Ordo Hereticus and monodominators fraction) prefer brute force.

How do you think does this man could move unnoticed? :)

tumblr_ncxfw58QJa1qbmqmro1_1280.jpg

Archived