Inquisition and The Fallen

Finn

Given the 10.000 years period since the Caliban schism and the number of The Fallen, I find it quite unbelievable that our Secret is still... a secret :)

There must have been instances of Inquisitors getting on trail of our traitors without us knowing. And someone must have succeeded even once. Come on, it must have happened.

nxivb.jpg

Maybe after all these years the Inquisition has no doubt that we are loyal and even thinks that our secret is a guarantee of Dark Angels loyalty due to shame?

Sme might know, some might suspect... and they use it to blackmail...

Is there anything in the fluff that states it bluntly that someone outside of the Chapter has actual knowledge on what happened?

Is there anything in the fluff that states it bluntly that someone outside of the Chapter has actual knowledge on what happened?

Due to the Grey Knights having founding members from the Dark Angels Legion, they've known full well of the fallen the entire time and just don't care. They do however use it as blackmail to get the Unforgiven to do their bidding.

Hmm,  I can't remember. The closest thing I remember was Inquisitor Bastalek Grim having suspicions about the DA...He know there was something wrong and he would investigate.

I believe there was a comic strip back when Warhammer Monthly started that featured an Inquisitor discovering the Dark Angels' secret. I believe he may have been duly disposed of...

I read somewhere that Logan Grimnar is also aware of the Fallen, but as Leman Russ & the Lion made up just before their respective disappearances, has kept the secret for them. Also remember reading that he gives them Intel on whereabouts of suspects.

Please note, this could be something that someone made up that I chose to believe lol

The general line from each edition of the codex is that nobody knows but a few suspect. Some of those individuals will investigate but they tend to meet with an 'accident' that prematurely ends the investigation.

For specific instances (eg Pandorax and the Ragnar Blackmane novels) characters will know as much as the plot requires but this shouldn't, in my opinion, disturb the general status quo described above.

The same approach works for our games. If your army concept or campaign requires that somebody knows something then they know what they know. Just don't expect them to be able to follow that knowledge to a revelatory conclusion.

This question crops up a lot but you have to take the setting into consideration. It's a huge Gallaxy and communication across the imperium is far from dependable. Most of the imperium don't know chaos exists at all. Remember too that 10,000 year is a long time. The bible is only 2000 years old. Enough time that the emperors great message the imperial truth has been lost totally. The Horus herasy began in essence because logar was slapped down for worshiping the emperor now the whole imperium does.

Consider how many people actually know of the fallen even full blood battle brothers of the chapter don't know of the fallen. In fact the number of inner circle member would be relatively small. In this setting I don't find it hard to believe the secret could be kept.

This question crops up a lot but you have to take the setting into consideration. It's a huge Gallaxy and communication across the imperium is far from dependable. Most of the imperium don't know chaos exists at all. Remember too that 10,000 year is a long time. The bible is only 2000 years old. Enough time that the emperors great message the imperial truth has been lost totally. The Horus herasy began in essence because logar was slapped down for worshiping the emperor now the whole imperium does.

Consider how many people actually know of the fallen even full blood battle brothers of the chapter don't know of the fallen. In fact the number of inner circle member would be relatively small. In this setting I don't find it hard to believe the secret could be kept.

But these are inquisitors we're talking about. I wouldn't be surprised quite a few know, quite a few suspect,and quite a few "inquisy" senses go bonkers when watching the behavior of the First. Like stated earlier...i bet blackmail is in order. I also bet that some of those black mailing =][= eventually, and quite mysteriously, disappear. However any inquisitor coming forward to condemn the DA's would need a crap ton of evidence, otherwise they will be laughed at and I"m sure many of the DA's cousins would come to their defense.  Knowing and proving are completely two different sides of the coin.

But these are inquisitors we're talking about. I wouldn't be surprised quite a few know, quite a few suspect,and quite a few "inquisy" senses go bonkers when watching the behavior of the First. Like stated earlier...i bet blackmail is in order. I also bet that some of those black mailing =][= eventually, and quite mysteriously, disappear. However any inquisitor coming forward to condemn the DA's would need a crap ton of evidence, otherwise they will be laughed at and I"m sure many of the DA's cousins would come to their defense.  Knowing and proving are completely two different sides of the coin.

More likely the Inquisitor making the claims of heresy suffers an unfortunate warp mishap on his next jump.

Archived