new player looking for advice on old models

So im new to all things 40k, but have decided to build a space marine army as my new hobby, ( i have recently been forced to give up my loved rugby due to injury and need sumthing else to fill in my time ). I chose space marines as they where my favorite team in the old dawn of war game and have always loved the idea of genetically modified super soilders in space. This will be a long term project and as i live in rural Australia even when i get my army done gamse will be few and far between. About 8 months ago i got the the old codex and a few books (loved them all) and recently got my 1st box of taticals to make a start on my home spun chapter of the emperors finest, complete with my own back story and all.

Anyway back to the point of the post a mate of mine gave me a box of old models he got as a kid but never got into, the box says its from 1993 (i only have the bottom half) and has space marines and orks in it some partly painted most untouched but assembled. I was going to use the 18 marines pluss my box of taticals to make a start on my army, but now I'm starting to think they may be wasted on me, i mean they 20 years old i think they deserve more then a novice whos a hopeless painter. So i gess my question is should i paint them? Should I sell them? If so how much (if anything ) r they worth? Is there such thing as antique miniatures?

Any answers help etc would be awesome. As i said im new to this, and the site

Thanks in advanced Commander Cutlet of the 'Verigate Order'

Hi, and welcome to the hobby/site. :)

Are they metal or plastic? I assume metal. Either way I would suggest you keep them and make a start on your army with them. Metal is very easy to strip compared to plastic, so even if your early paint jobs are a little ropey, you can easily strip them and redo them at a later date. Plastics from that era aren't worth a lot unless someone is desperate for them, so slap some paint on them and don't worry about it.

I am pretty sure the set you are describing is the second edition starter set. The old plastics aren't worth much on Ebay - they have improved their model making substantially since then and the old plastics don't have near the detail the new ones do. But they would be a great thing to practice painting on. 

Thanks heaps for the reply guys, and so quick, think I will just use them as practice till i get my technique down. Must say im super impressed with this site, ive benn checking it out for the ladt few weeks and its really inspired me to get in and get my army started.

Archived