Would this work?

Mattias

Hi Guys,

I love Deathwing Knights but the difficulty I have with them is that they do not really work with the rest of my list which is based on drop pods and scouting ravenwing, as a Land Raider eats up points and does not really fit with the theme (ravenwing guiding in a strike force). If I Deep Strike them in then they are now arriving Turn 2 at the earliest which means a Turn 3 charge at best.

Then I had a thought and please correct me if this is wrong but I already have Sammael as my HQ due to my Ravenwing component and I believe that he now confers Scout to his unit and also gives them an extra 3" to any Run or Charge moves. This would mean that I could start an extra 6" further forward due to Scout and move and run a minimum of 10" (6" move + 3" bonus + D6 run) first turn to set up a Turn 2 charge, which itself would be boosted in range with the extra 3".

Plus Sammael can presumably soak incoming fire by Jinking for a 3+ re-roll or 2+ re-roll save depending on whether a Dark Shroud is close enough.

Do you think this would work? 

Flat out turn 1 plus 12" teleport homer means you can pretty much drop the knights anywhere on the table you feel like it. Best of all, you don't have to decide until the game starts and you survey your enemy's deployment.

I've used Sam with the Knights a number of times it should work even better now he can 2+ re-roll tank with a Dark Shroud near by

The Deathwing Strike Force is only 2 Elites 1 HQ so between 5-600 points depending on loadouts with a Librarian

Fairly sure a Deathwing Knights * 2 + Librarian is going to be a staple in some of my ravenwing lists from now on

Well, your milage may vary. I know people that stand by deep striking their melee units, but I have never had luck with the tactic. I have never (and I'm not using that word figurativly... it has not ever happened) had a deep striking melee unit survive the round it comes in with more than 2 models still on the board.

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure you could also buy them a drop pod and have them assault turn 2. Even kind of fits with your theme sort of.

So would you buy a Pod as a Fast Slot and then just put your Knight or Termie squad in it? If you go this route can you drop turn one with the Drop pod assault rules assuming you are not using a DW formation?

I don't think Jetbikes have the deep strike special rule.  I remember this coming up once before but in the unit types I don't remember it saying that these unit types have the deep strike special rule.

In any sense I feel the pain on the transport conundrum of DWK.  From a practical sense, spending the points on a RWAS or bike squad, fully kitted out with gear is probably going to run you around a similar price to a landraider and be somewhat less durable.  This edition saw the loss of DWK for dedicated transports, so that combined with the 1ppm reduction of Knights I believe is a savings of about 40 points if I'm not mistaken (we also lost our Dozer Blades on LRs :().

I can agree on giving Sammael to a Knight squad, he comes with a teleport homer so theoretically you can use him to do your scouting, have the Knights teleport around him and move him into the squad so that he joins it.  

I used to do the whole deep strike Knights thing but in my opinion it's just too risky.  You ultimately end up getting shot (even though they can withstand a fair volume of fire) or charge and missing out on +1A.  More to it, the lack of grenades REALLY hurts them.  If you're charging into terrain without someone who has grenades, you may as well have spent the points on TH/SS terminators since you'll ultimately be at I1.

I get the fluff idea but RW don't have to be the exclusive way to drop them in, I would assume that at times DW march on their enemies with Landraiders (despite the fact our formations are on the contrary)

Archived