Captain's Coloring Question

BadDice0809

Got the BA upgrade sprue and want to kit bash to make a custom Captain (probably won't see much table time but everyone needs one amirite?) The question is in the title- red or gold for our Captains? Tycho rocked the gold, but both Captin Karlean and Aphreal seem to wear the normal red in SoB. I know the whole "do what you want" bit but i like to stick with the 'traditional' schemes as much as possible. Want to make the 'Lord Adjudicator' Captain if that helps.

The choice is up to you. For many, it's purely an aesthetic thing. Some players have taken a page from the Blood Angels books by Mr. Swallow and used gold armour to represent something special about either the character or the armour (i.e., artificer armour). As you've identified, some captains of the Blood Angels have red armour, including those that wear what players would call artificer armour. Both colors are "traditional."

I use gold. The original BA Captain (i.e. proto-Tycho) was gold and since then Tycho and Dante have been in gold; but this was second edition when I started.

However, these days I also look at it another way. A Captain in power armour is red, but he's gold in artificier armour :)

My captain (AA, JP, fist, shield) is red (darker shade than rest of army) with some metal medium mixed in. 

IIRC I painted him red, because I didn't have any airbrush friendly gold paint at the time.

I use gold. The original BA Captain (i.e. proto-Tycho) was gold and since then Tycho and Dante have been in gold; but this was second edition when I started.

However, these days I also look at it another way. A Captain in power armour is red, but he's gold in artificier armour smile.png

I agree with Jolemai and that is the way I am planning to do it also.

But as always it is your army paint the way you like. :)

I also think it depends on the personality of the captain. Some like more ornate, some prefer more humble.

You could also make it some "honor." 

Maybe he earned the right to wear gold. He did something super heroic, and as a reward, his armor was painted gold.

Archived