What is everyone using for Paint Schemes?

Hey guys,

I am starting my first real Warhammer 40k army and am just starting to get ready to sit down and paint some basic space marine models to try and find a good scheme and to really just get some practice in. I am assuming it's not going to be pretty to get started as I am not what you would call an "artist" but I'm really looking forward to getting into the hobby! So, I'm wondering what painting schemes you guys were using for your Blood Angels. I'm going to try for a darker red look on my tacticals and thinking a Mephiston Red base with a darker shade, but would love to hear everyone's' suggestions.

Also, I'm eventually going to be adding a Sanguinary Guard unit and want to find a good solid gold for them and for my main secondary color on my tacticals that ties in with that.

Hopefully I'll soon start a painting blog or at least get some pictures of my WIPs after I get started put up on a few posts here and there for some feedback, but for now I would really appreciate any suggestions / recommendations!

Hello, brother!

Can I ask how much experience you have of painting at this stage?

My own Blood Angels are painted to a totally standard classic Blood Angels colour scheme:

http://i.imgur.com/dT3ZAa4l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DC1r520l.jpg

If you're looking for guidelines on painting the models and techniques to use, I'd particularly recommend two YouTube channels:

GirlPainting and Awesome Paintjob.

A step further would be Apathetic Fish.

If you're looking for ideas for colour schemes, check out the Space Marine Painter on Bolter & Chainsword.

Hopefully this is helpful!

Thank you for those links!

My painting experience is very little to none, so I'm trying to soak up as much as I can and come up with a battle plan before getting too far ahead of myself.

Your models look really good, man. I'm hoping I can achieve something similar but I'm going for a darker shade of red and instead of the black highlights on the shoulder pads and whatnot I think I'm going to go with a metallic-y gold that I can hopefully tie in as the base color for a Sang. Guard unit and potentially Dante way down the road, but I haven't done anything since GW switched to the Base, Shade, Layer, Dry, paint system and there's sooooo many choices, I'm just looking to see what people have been able to accomplish with different schemes / styles.

Some folks keep a folder of awesome armies and terrain concepts they find on the internet. I think it's a good idea when starting an army to get an idea of where you want to go. There are a lot of videos to help you along the way.

I use mephiston red with evil sunz scarlet and carroburg crimson for shading. I dry brush because I'm impatient and somewhat lazy. Proper highlighting is a cleaner look. 

I liked this video. It's long, but very thorough.

The GW video is also very good for a lot of tips and a paint scheme. (he uses a small amount of white, covered with waywatcher green glaze--I highly recommend this, and I also use this on my grav guns. It gives a glow effect).

Though I'd add in a better quality photo just to give you a clearer idea of what Mephiston Red looks like on the models. The photos I put up earlier were a little brighter than they ought to be. The highlighting here is pretty much non-existent because I've been working to get these guys done quickly. This is essentially Mephiston Red washed with Nuln Oil:

http://i.imgur.com/b8pRVz8l.png

Check out my plog in my signature to see what I'm doing.

In

itially, I went the darker route with a mechrite red base, drybrushed several coats of blood red, then a red ink.

Now, I use the scheme from the Sons of Sanguinius book, as its darker, quick, and looks good.

Black undercoat. Mephiston red in 2 layers until a solid coat. Paint Agrax Earth  into the recesses for shading. highlight evil sunz red. extreme edge highlight fire dragon bright.

If you want a darker colour that would be really quick, base the model with meph red, give a wash entirely in carroburg crimson, then highlight with meph red again.

That's a darker, almost flesh tearer red.

My Redeemers have a dark red with black trims and I go mega heavy on the icons / emblems on the armour.

Flamer Tcs

I use a red primer (Chaotic Red from Army Painter), then a layer of Khorne Red. I wash it in Nuln Oil, then another layer or Khorne Red and a quick highlight in Mephiston red.

Good luck on your painting brother, lets see some pictures. :D

http://i.imgur.com/8g696d5.jpg

I used Army Painters Bright Red as primer and mephiston red as basecoat. Then I shade them with carroburg crimson, it's a purple-ish wash, to get a more darker and more "blood" red imo. Highlights are done with evil sunz and fire dragon bright. The assault squad is actually a bit brighter on the picture than in real life. So here's also my recent painted dreadnought, this one is a bit darker:

http://i.imgur.com/CWfD19Z.jpg

Hope it helps! :tu:

Archived