Help with a 1500 point list...

LutherMax

All the lists I've come up with so far have been pretty rubbish. Mainly because I started collecting models before I started playing and realised afterwards I had a whole bunch of mis-matched stuff. I've got more to choose from now but would like some help forming a list that, while may not be exactly 'competitive', at least has some chance of winning a game for reasons other than sheer luck.

I'm keen to try out Dante, the latest codex pin-up boy. I don't have the model but will throw one together from Sanguinary Guard bits.

Thinking of sticking him with a Sanguinary Guard squad.

Death Company with Chaplain.

Stormraven maybe.

Other things I have that I could currently field:

- tactical squad

- assault squad with jump packs

- assault squad with melta (in pod)

- drop pod

- fragioso

- DC dread

- 2x Baal preds

- HB/AC land speeder

- rhino / razorback

- land raider redeemer

- sanguinary priest

- mephiston

So what would the more tactically-minded amongst us choose from the above to stick into a 1500 point list?!

Hey there,

I'm not a veteran by any stretch of the imagination so maybe others will give a more informed opinion of things but this is a few things I have noticed about my games in general.

Dante is a strong beat stick but if your jumping him up the field it's better to have multiple jump units so he can break off into another unit when the 1 he is in gets whittled down.

Death company with Chaplins do a lot of dammage which usually over kills the unit leaving them vulnerable to getting shot the next turn, or your figniting against another dedicated close combat unit where there not doing enough wounds and astorath would be a better choice.

Sanguinary guard are decent (I think I have used them in every game I have played in 7th) but benefit a great deal f m a buffing unit like a Libby or sanguinary priest.

Dreadnought's are good but god they are slow and need a transport either pod or storm raven

Beep predators still work for me I have heard normal predators do it better but I get on just fine with mine at the moment as the rending does a lot of work especially when accompanied by Razorbacks with assault cannons also.

Here is a sample list of what I would play given your models. (Also I don't have the codex on me so this will all be guessing to the amount of points I think they are

Hq- sanguinary priest with extra weapon, valours edge and jump pack (runs with sanguinary guard)

Elites- 5 Sanguinary guard with 2 infernos pistol, 3 swords, 1 axe, 1 fist. (I like the banner but never rem more to use it even tho it's on my model lol)

Fragioso in a pod as a small alpha and a distraction but don't expect this guy to see turn 2 (or you could put the melta assault squad in here instead)

Death company 7 guys with a sword and a fist

Troops- 5 tactical marines kitted out however you like in razorback w/assault cannon

5 tactical marines kitted out however you like in razor back w/ assault cannon (if you only have 1 razorback proxy the other Baal pred)

Fast attack- 10 man assault squad with 2 meltas (Dante in this group and usually in the middle of the board as a target but also so when they start loosing numbers Dante can leave the unit with a good chance of joining something else.

Heavy support- assault cannon heavy bolter Baal predators

Then maybe a storm raven with the death company dread to fill up the points

Low- Dante

I have run a few lists on variations of this idea (in friendly games only) with some success where the tactical squads and Baal predators go for objectives mainly near my deployment, the jump marines get right up in the enemy's face turn 1 with what ever I put in the drop pod to try give the enemy to many targets. When the storm raven comes on probably turn 2 I'm ultra aggressive again because I want to go for 2 many threats and if the enemy is going for the marines (which I'm trying for turn 2 charges) then it's allowing me to set up a turn 3 assault with the death company dread. This is by no means a competative list but does ok for me in my group of friends as our codecies areal on a similar power levels so I'm not constantly on an up hill struggle.

Hope this helps a little

I think the first step is deciding which detachment you want to run.

My line of thought is base this on the Local meta:

Going to be facing lots of Marines? Take Baal Strike Force BSF for the +1I bonus.

Going to be playing alot of Mealstrom Missions? Take either a Combined Arms Detachment CAD or Flesh Tearers Strikeforce STSF

The best 'Take all comers' detachment is probably the FTSF, as it only has 1 compulsary Troop choice and lots of Fast Slots.

I can give you a breakdown of how I'd run each or you can pick one and I'll throw some ideas at you.

From the unit list you posted, how man multiples do you have of each? (how man drop pods, rhinos, tac squads etc)

D

Hi guys, thanks for your input.

@ Silverson, I hadn't thought of putting Dante with standard assault marines, I just automatically think Sang Guard or Honour Guard.

@ evildrcheese, in my gaming group there are Chaos Daemons, Necrons, Tyranids and Marines. The tricky bit is that we normally play small tournaments together, come up with our lists beforehand and stick to them for all games. Hence needing it to be as 'all comers' as possible! We are playing the FTN mission pack (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/podcasts/FTNmissionpack.pdf) so also quite varied.

I normally go for BSF or CAD, haven't tried FTSF.

I only have one of most things unfortunately but here goes (plus some things I forgot)

Dante (to be built)

Tycho

Mephiston

Sanguinary Priest x2
Sanguinary Guard x7 with four swords, two axes, one fist, two infernus

Death Company x10 on foot with CC weapons, two axes, one fist

Fragioso x1

DC Dread x1
Tactical squad x10 with heavy flamer and meltagun

Scout snipers x5 with cloaks and missile launcher
Assault squad with jump packs x5 (sarge can take axe and pistol or fist and shield)
Assault squad on foot x5 with two melta guns and sarge with combi-melta

Flamerback x1 (can run as Rhino)

HB/AC land speeder x1

HB/AC Baal Preds x2

Land Raider Redeemer x1

Stormraven x1

Drop Pod x1 (I could borrow a second one from a friend)

I have been kicking around with one idea...

Dante

Corbulo

Sanguinary Guard x5 (3 sword, 1 axe, 1 fist, 2 infernus)

-

Death Company x10 (2 axes, 1 fist)

-

Tactical squad x5

Tactical squad x5

-

Melta assault squad in Pod

-

Baal Pred

Baal Pred

- Stormraven

As you're interested in taking Dante, do you plan on running him as your Warlord? Only this will affect the army you put together. If the answer is yes, you can look to have a larger force arrive from Deep Strike Reserve; if the answer is no, then simply use him as a beat stick and hide him.

From your collection, the only things that will benefit from Dante being your Warlord are the Land Speeder, Stormraven, Sanguinary Guard, RAS and anything else with a jump pack.

To me though, you seem to have the makings of a decent hybrid setup. For example, take the tanks as "rolling cover" and run your Sanguinary Guard + Dante + Sanguinary Priest and the jump RAS behind them. As a distraction, either put the Fragioso or the "Meltacide" in the Drop Pod. Have the Stormraven carry the Death Company Dreadnought (or Fragioso). Stick the Tactical Marines in a Rhino, possibly put the Death Company (seven or so) in the Redeemer and take the Scouts to fill out the Troops section.

• 2 weeks later...

Jolemai, apologies - I only just noticed your reply! Thank you for your insights, that is an interesting alternative to what I had in mind and I will have a go at writing a couple of options based on your suggestions.

I had kind of assumed Dante would be Warlord but I see your point. Back packs on half my DC are magnetised so I can easily stick jump packs on, the others could proxy as jump perhaps...

I've suffered two Crash & Burns with the DC in the Stormraven (mainly due to overly aggressive / foolish deployment on my part) so I am keen to try a different approach there - maybe gunboat only or a cheaper unit riding in it.

Archived