Warlord traits - Dante vs. Veritas Vitae

tjr

In my current list I have Dante and a Priest.

Most games I play use the Tactical Objective cards.

I have one Stormraven in the list and I rarely deep strike.

So the question is:

Who should be my Warlord? 

A Priest with two strategic traits or Dante with Decent of Angels + a tactical trait?

I'm pretty sure you can choose who is the warlord, then again i am so often wrong when it comes to the rules.  Normally i would say go for VV, but with maelstrom and one stormraven i'd lean towards Dante.

With these, I'd agree that Dante is probably the best choice, especially how dependant on skimmers and jump pack troops causing damage the Blood Angels Tactical Objective cards are, you really want them to be on time and on target. 

Why wouldn't he? smile.png

Because most things I'd like to do, are against the rules :P

With these, I'd agree that Dante is probably the best choice, especially how dependant on skimmers and jump pack troops causing damage the Blood Angels Tactical Objective cards are, you really want them to be on time and on target.

I forgot to add: We're using a modified deck without Codex-specific cards. And as I stated earlier, I rarely deep strike in.

Also, I don't have any skimmers (yet).

I find Dante to be a bad choice when it comes to choosing my warlord. He is in the thick of it more often than not so him dying is a good possibility. I never deepstrike and my reserves are generally in pods. Veritas vitae is much more useful in that sense. Conqurer of cities along with 3 infantry unit infiltration is incredibly useful. Landing your jump units into ruins without any dangerous terrain along with +1 to your cover save makes them superbly durable especially if you have a priest with the unit or if the said unit is death company. Three melta bombs is a bargain for such a relic.

Why wouldn't he? smile.png

Because most things I'd like to do, are against the rules tongue.png

I forgot to add: We're using a modified deck without Codex-specific cards. And as I stated earlier, I rarely deep strike in.

Also, I don't have any skimmers (yet).

Then if you have nothing that can take advantages of Dante's abilities...you're just using him as a beat stick.

Is he worth it then? I think A Valours edge, storm shield, combi grav bike captain might be cheaper and only slightly less killy, to go with the priest.

Xenith: Dante is more that just 'Descent of Angels' IMO. And honestly the idea of a biker captain doesn't sit well with my delicate aesthetic sensibilities.

I've been very happy with how Dante has perfomed, the way I've been running him.

Last Q:

If my Sang. Priest with VV is CAD Warlord, does he get to re-roll both his traits, ie. the "normal" one (which he can because of Ideal Mission Commander) and the additional one granted by VV?

I was under the impression that you cannot reroll the bonus trait from VV? My league has stated that clearly so I thought that was how it was in the rule books. Now I am at work and can't check. Anyone able to link the reference that says the VV *bonus* trait can be rerolled?

If I have proof, then I can fight the ruling locally so I can get that nice bonus.

I already use the VV a lot, but been having to accept whatever I roll...

If you are using a CAD as your Primary Detachment, then you can re-roll the result as per the Command Benefit: Ideal Mission Commander. If your Warlord is part of a different Detachment/Formation, then you can only re-roll it if it's a duplicate.

I was under the impression that you cannot reroll the bonus trait from VV? My league has stated that clearly so I thought that was how it was in the rule books. Now I am at work and can't check. Anyone able to link the reference that says the VV *bonus* trait can be rerolled?

If I have proof, then I can fight the ruling locally so I can get that nice bonus.

I already use the VV a lot, but been having to accept whatever I roll...

As per Jolemai, it's in the rulebook that you are allowed to reroll warlord traits as part of the benefits of using a Combined arms detachment.

If you use a Baal Strike Force, then your rerolls are only valid on the BA warlord table, and you get what you roll on strategic.

Tabled some Daemonkin tonight.

Took the Sanguinary Priest with Veritas Vitae for Warlord. I rolled a 1 (Stealth and Move Through Cover in ruins) and a 5 (-1 to opponents reserve rolls).

Number 1 never really come into effect. I had bolstered both ruins in my Deployment Zone and Night Fight was in effect first turn. But I didn't have to take any Dangerous Terrains test when I jumped out of cover.

Number 5 didn't help either. His rolls were either too low (turn 2) or too high (turn 3) to be affected by a -1 modifier.

I think Dante is the way to go.

Archived