Scouts vs Tacs

Well...I think of scouts as the tax for upgrading a demi company to a minimum lion's blade...70 points with sniper rifles and cloaks, and they don't seem so tax-like any more...but really, 55 points naked is pretty good, too!  

I also like the idea of a sergeant with a stormbolter and fist plus a heavy bolter...the squad infiltrates, does one melee, then camps some cover with the surviving models and annoys people.  It worked in 4th and 5th...

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that the scouts really only shine relative to tactical squads outside the context of a lion's blade...in order to get full-BS overwatch, you need to invest so much into power armor that you're not likely to take a horde of scouts...and it's worth the investment!

IMO it really depends on what you want the Troop units to do on the field.  If you want stationary point-defence then Scouts will be the go-to guys.  Flexible AA/AT objective holders?  ML Tacts.  Frontline units to advance and assist in taking objectives?  Plas/Flamer Tacts.  AT (suicide) unit?  Melta Tacts.

They're all different, I'll always take at least one squad of ML Tacts & a squad of ML Sniper Scouts and expand on those as points allow.

Archived