What are the best loadouts for units?

LulleK

Hello!

I'm very new to playing WH40k. I'm putting together a Dark Angels army (Demi-Company) but don't know what weapons to use. Specificaly on devastators and tacticals. I'm wondering:

1. If i field 3x5 man tactical squads, what special/heavy weapons do I want on them? Also, what do I want my sergeants to have? Power sword, chainsword or bolters? I have painted the 10 tracticals from the DV set, so I have one squad with plasma gun and one with plasma cannon. Only one sergeant though, with chainsword and plasma pistol. I dont know if i should change anything with them, and don't know how to build my third squad and sergeants.

2. What are good options for devastators? I'm going to buy a pack of them (or two if I have to, to get weapons). But don't know what to arm them with.

In the rest of the army there is a Dreadnought with Twin linked lascannon (I haven't glued the arms, so I can change that in the future). Just so you know what I have already.

Thanks!

If you are using only 5 men squads, leave the sgts as they are. The squad weapons would depend if they are on foot or transport. On transport you probably will want melta/plasma/grav guns. On foot heavy weapons could be the better choice due to higher range.

As for devs, I heard Grav cannons are very popular now ;), but lascannons or plasma cannons aren+t a bad choice either.

It will depend on what your plan is with the rest of the army.The devs will fill any gaps you might have dealing with the opponent.

Thanks! smile.png

So what heavy weapons are good for the tacticals if they don't have transports? If I understand correctly, both bolt pistol + chainsword and boltgun are 0 Points for the sergeant, so what is the standard loadout there?

Okay! smile.png To be honest I don't have much of a plan, besides that it should be a Demi-Company. I was hoping for an obvious answer like "in a Demi-Company you want THIS", but maybe it's not that simple? Is there anything that is more flexible/jack of all trades that always work?

What I have so far is:

1 Company Master, combi plasma, power sword

1 Dreadnought, lascannon

5 Assaul Marines, Power sword (was going to put flamer on the but was confused if it was supposed to be two handed or one)

5 Tacticals, plasma gun, sergeant with plasma pistol, rhino

5 Tacticals, plasma cannon

So what's missing is:

5 Tacticals

5 Devastators

My advice would be to get some sort of game plan, and then go to army list section and post your army list.

We need to know how many points you are planning and what else besides a demi company you want.

If you have more or less a plan for the whole army then it's easier to get the right/best equipment for it.

Nothing is ever that simple.  Even within the restrictions of the battle company, there are many ways to use units.  Each piece of gear, theoretically, has a purpose.  Some things are more efficient at their assigned task than others, but there is a place for almost everything.  Weigh the good and the bad for each weapon against what role you want that unit to fill.  It might help to make a list of the basic wargear options like the one below until you are more familiar with each weapon.

Ranged Weapons (for Sergeants and ICs)

Boltgun - Pros: Additional Range and Rate of Fire (RoF) Cons: Loss of extra attack from Pistol, no Assault after firing

Storm Bolter - Pros: Additional Range, RoF, allows Assault after firing Cons: Loss of extra attack from Pistol, points cost

Combi- Pros: one shot of a special wepon profile, Additional Range, RoF Cons: Loss of extra attack from Pistol, no Assault after firing, points cost

Grav or Plasma Pistol - Pros: Powerful shot profiles, keeps extra attack Cons: points cost, lowest RoF

There is nothing to say that everything has to be super efficient.  I give all my Imperial Guard Sergeants Boltguns, not because they are a great value, but because I like the idea and the look of them carrying boltguns.  I would personally suggest taking a more minimalist approach to upgrades in general.  Everything in the 40k world dies, so I wouldn't spend too many points on "pimping' them out.  It just makes  it hurt more when the dice are cruel.

May the strength of the Lion be found in your efforts.

P.S. - It may be worth your while to invest in some magnets and take the time to learn how to use them properly.  There are a myriad of options in 40k, and they are always changing.  Your play style will evolve as well.  Being able to swap out weapons will save you a lot of money in the long run.

A close combat weapon only yields an extra attack when paired with another close comabt weapon, for example  a bolt pistol and a chainsword.

So a sergeant with BP and Chainsword gets an extra attack, but a sgt with a chainsword and bolter for instance does not get extra attack.

Same goes for a flamer, however, the sgts cannot equip a flamer, only a combi flamer (bolter with one shot flamer). Only a regular marine can have a flamer.

After playing with Devs some, I am just going to post up a 5man squad with 4 plasma somewhere to take advantage of their range. I use my 3 tac squads to squat on objectives and usually run Flakk missiles to take pot shots. I changed that up a bit and am going to try a tac squad with grav Cannon (since it can still shoot when it moves) in a drop Pod for a bit more aggressive deployment options.

Dual Autocannon on your dread might be something you want to try before you glue the laz on. It's a lot cheaper too and will leave room for options elsewhere, although will not be able to punch into tougher targets.

WellSpokenMan, thanks for the summary! Yeah, I really should buy some magnets! Though I don't know if they work on devastators?

Chaplain Lucifer, that's good to know! The issue I had with flamers was with Assault Marines, not sergeants :) because the codex says you replace only one of the weapons.

seethe, okay! Yeah I've seen several people arming their devs with plasma. Will check it out! Then maybe I can use the gravs from the box for my tacticals.

Will ccheck out the Autocannon for the dread! I wasn't actually going to glue the arms on, so that i can change them :) I realized it was very easy on dreads, even without magnets.

Damn, can't get that quote button to make any quotes :P

Archived