Tried the Ravenwing Strike Force ...

eurieus

And it's AWESOME !! Maybe too awesome really.

This is my second game, the first one was a bit irrelevant since my opponent had a very weak Eldar list and it was the second time he was playing them ( maybe the first time even ) and i tabled him turn 3.

This time it was 1500 pts 2v2 game, i was with a AM player against Tau Empire and some heretics from the local PDF that sided with the foul xenos.

My list was :

Sammael on Corvex

Lvl 2 Librarian on bike ( we agreed on this, since it's obviously a silly mistake from GW ... ) rolling on interromancy

RWCS x5 with champ/apoth/ RW Banner

RWBK X5

2 x 3 RWAS with 2 gravs in each

1 x 6 RWAS with 2 meltas

Ravenwing support squadron with darkshroud and 3 HB/AC speeders.

2X attaque bike Multi Melta.

I deployed on one flank with all my force, on the Tau side. I did'nt really care about the guard player since most of his dangerous stuffs were on the other side.

He had a riptide, 3 large squads of fire warrior, a skyray , 2 squads of markerlight guys , a squad of three DS crisis suits and a tau commander with 2 bodyguards.

It was insane.

He was so scared of the support squadron , he poured most of his markerlights on them, by turn two, his crisis DS'ed next to it, and he basicaly went all out on them , killing the Darkshourd and one speeder.

But even by that time, it was too late, i was inches from his line, with only 3 bikes gone. Rerolling jink was insane on the first turn with the darkshourd and nightfight. I just then proceeded to obliterate everything on his side, destroying the middle, and leaving the rest to my teammate. He was tabled by the end of turn 3 , and we tabled the other player turn 4.

Obviously they made some tactical mistake, forgot to use some rules ( the ignore cover from the guard ) and had really cold dice ( losing 4 pathfinders turn one with a 2+ cover save is rough ).

But in the end, if you dont have a crapload of ignore cover, it's gonna be HARD to counter the RWSF.

You're so resilient the first two turn, and so fast, you're at your opponents throat in no time, and then it's just a walk in the park.

Obviously they had some middle tier friendly game list, but still, it was brutal. It's so good, i will probably not use it as it is in friendly games anymore.

But still, it's good to crush your opponent, and watch how all thoughts of " Dark angels are crap " vanish from them smile.png

Were the attack bikes a single squad or 2 seperate?

How did the intercepor round work out for you.

I just built my first Darkshroud and noticed that the front gun has a huge fire arc.

Which got me looking at my other speeders, the gunner weapon has almost 180 degrees of fire arc.

it just seems to be our driver side and rear which are sometimes undefended.

they were two seperate squad. 

Unfortunately ( or fortunately idk ) my opponent did everything with markerlights to take down the DS, and he did so turn 2, along with another speeder. Still i got to use the interceptor once when et DSed his crisis team next to my RWSS, and i killed two of his crisis with the interceptor :) 

With the Tau your effectively using the speeders as Hull point Shields

I've found the Assault Cannons a bit pricey and out of range a lot when I tried them 24" seems plenty for a unit that are snapfiring quite a bit but the Missiles have more turn 1/2 impact and both are very good Anti Air so still trying both out.

Mission wise these days you need the certainty of coming in Turn 2 with reserves anyone getting a bad role against a Ravenwing Charge is going to find it difficult to recover

Yeah it was definitely a  mistake i made with the speeders placement, he DSed right next to the darkshroud and it was over. 

It was the second time i tried the AC/HB combo on speeders, and i was quite pleased with it, i did not find it hard to be in range with AC at all, and the mass of shots you can do with this combo is really good IMO. But i do agree that the Typhoon is great too. 

And yeah, the first two turns of the new Ravenwing are brutal for the opponent, i f you can't counter it, you're definitely in trouble. 

The 2 * HB ones are pretty cheap for what they give you your saving 60 points on all the models in the formation

I've tried that configuration out as well but if your facing DS armor from say a Drop Pod then you need some more punch though they've glanced a Necron plane to death on interceptor so a bit of creative Librarian twin linking is useful.

Like you I've only really used the DA Psychic powers expect for once when I took the conclave

I had thought about 2 formations of them but the foot print on the tabletop is really big when you factor in the 4" coherency

The Tau player I versed went ape trying to kill it as well, the Fear thing is a big issue for them never mind the kill overwatch stuff. The Psychic stuff just really hurts them, when I played the Conclave it was just bad sauce all round,  I don't do invisibility I think its lame but the ignores cover Psychic test -2 on leadership is brutal from our table as is snap firing even if a Riptide gets buffed by Markers it still can't shoot its blast and the power works on vehicles as well with decent range.

I played against the Ravenwing Strike Force today and I got smashed. Good, it didn't happen in a long time :p

The guy had 10 Black Knights, 2 Dark Shrouds, Samael and a Command Squad. For 40 points per model, with a rerollable 2+ cover with the right support, this is an army that has a lot of advantages with low drawbacks.

I played my first game with the new codex yesterday and I used a RW Strike Force and a DW Strike Force (1850) against Necrons. The RW did so amazing that I feel I could have won without the terminators. I feel I will be pouring all of my funds into RW for awhile.

Archived