Radical Inquisitor, Relictors WIPS

dogfender

So I have been absent from posting my work for awhile, but I have started on a new project.

I have been working on a Radical Inquisitor, which will accompany a Relictors force at some point. I wanted my Inq to be playable or usable to some degree, so I opted for the Terminator armor, psycannon and hammer upgrade. A big challenge for me has been coming up with a way to alter terminator armor to look different than just a standard terminator or GK. The =][= symbol is a huge part of, well being an inquisitor. But I felt the giant symbol over the head has been done to death and I went for a gothic-style arched hood. But the overall aesthetic of what makes a 'radical' inquisitor in itself is open for debate (of course not including the use of a demon weapon). So being an inquisitor, I'm working on making it a unique set of armor, but also 'gothic' looking.

I am not quite set on what to do with his shooting arm. As shown, he will either have a GK styled wrist mounted psycannon (converted from wrist mounted storm bolter) or a side of the arm (with regular sized).

The chest emblem is something I am working on. I have had to cut away a lot of the torso to make room for his girdle/ buckle and I was wanting to incorporate a similar feature on the chest that I did with the legs. Just not sure how it will work with the emblem I currently have or what I could change it to.

The shoulder pads are also on the fence. The tan ones are reversed AoS pads and kind of shown in the second picture are some fantasy khorne pads trimmed up.

There is still plenty of work to do aside from adding all the goodies like purity seals, trinkets and cingulum hanging from the buckle and shoulder pads.

Anyways let me know what you think about the pads, weapons or whatever. Lets keep me motivated! Oh and sorry for the shoddy phone pictures, I have moved and I do not have my camera and booth set up yet.

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/image1_zpswukk7rn3.jpg

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/image2_zpsiogbhnaa.jpg

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/image3_zpsqh7rjlrc.jpg

There is a big bag of popcorn which is going to die as I thoroughly enjoy reading and watching this project. 

No Daemonic weapon count as for psycannon?

Thank you all for the kind words, though if something seems off let me know. Critisms helps shape my work. Besides, things always look different when you step back from them, so others perspectives are always merited in my eyes.

To answer some questions and offer some explinations:

That daemon blade is just superb, I am really wondering how you made that...

KhorneFlakes:

I am really glad you like it. Someone I know said it looked like the 'original' Soulcalibur (from the game) and I got sad lol. I really didn't want to buy or entirely sculpt my own blade so I used a Bloodletter sword I had laying around. From there I just trimmed and chopped up to make room for the details. I sculpted some extra onto the original blade to make it a bit beefier and then just carved away until I was happy. I then made (far too many) teeth and let them cure and added them on before sculpting the 'gums' or area where organic meets metal. I have an array of tools I used, but clay/ color shapers are the way to go for sculpting. The white stuff is Magic Sculpt, the grey/black is ProCreate, for small eyes I used Micro beads and the larger eye is the 'flat' head of pin.

Very nice dogfender. The arch is a touch too high for my tastes, but the overall feel is awesome.

One question... what are those legs from? They are very cool!

Cheers,

Widowmaker

Widowmaker:

The ach is a bit high I agree, and I could lower it (would be a huge pain now, but I might since someone thinks it's silly.... lol) but he would look like a normal terminator. It might be difficult to see but the inside has a gothic arch inside, if I lower it, it may not be as noticable. Also I had considered using a big =][= symbol from the GK box, and with that ornament, it would actually be quite larger, and sillier, not to mention that sorta thing has been done to death for inquisitors. But I will consider cutting it down. Though the extra space inside could be used to have cables going to his head.

The legs are built ontop of GK terminator legs. I just cut away the thigh plates, carve out/ filled all the detailing. Then sculpted on new plates and added rivets (micro beads). Of course the feet were done and the greaves were carved out to create a hammered/dimpled surface. I still need to add some more details like filiagree.

There is a big bag of popcorn which is going to die as I thoroughly enjoy reading and watching this project. 

No Daemonic weapon count as for psycannon?

Lord Ragnarok:

I had not actually considered a count as for the psycannon. It opens up some new possibilities, though I don't want him to be over 'chaosified'. I will have to think what I can come up with.. Though I still don't know if he should have a smaller over the top of the wrist (as shown) mounted smaller psycannon.. or arm at the side with the cannon attached to the side of the arm.

But I am still seeking advice on:

-which shoulder pads to use

-what to do with the chest and emblem

-gun arm pose

The Sigmarite pads look good, but I don't think that they match the lines of the shins and boots. Can we get a front view of the Khorne pads?

The chest emblem is a bit large, and with the collar detail it almost looks like a medal hanging around his neck. This could go away once it's painted, so it may not be an issue.

The Sigmarite pads look good, but I don't think that they match the lines of the shins and boots. Can we get a front view of the Khorne pads?

The chest emblem is a bit large, and with the collar detail it almost looks like a medal hanging around his neck. This could go away once it's painted, so it may not be an issue.

Here is a picture of the original pads, included is a sneak peak of a certain kind of henchmen devil.gif

I agree the chest emblem is quite big, now more so since I have trimmed the underside more to move the buckle up. I will have to come up with something else for it, and I think I would like to add more of the dimpled reliefs. The collar on him is something I liked because it is swung low and doesn't obscure the face (which will probably change). On the HQ I was planning on having a more 'knightly' collar like a BT or GK might have, so I didnt want to repeat that on this character.

Always open to suggestions.

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/image1_zpsnyopc9dr.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well it has been awhile but I am back. Having family come and visit can take a lot out of you.

Anyways, so for those of you that haven't picked up WD Issue #80, A question I had asked Grombrindal was answered. Of course I knew which issue in advance, however I had no idea that they would "paraphrase" *cough* butcher *cough* the main point of my question. Instead I got something else entirely, including them making up my signature..They answered the second half of the main question.

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/8de31171-0736-4b8d-8cdd-73c38191c5a2_zpsx1gjqiqm.jpg

Here is my original sent question. (yes I realize it is very long, but wouldn't have expected the above, really makes me sound like an idiot).

"Oh wise Grombrindal,

My question for you is in regards to the dubious Space Marine chapter The Relictors.

A long while ago they had several installments in the old White Dwarf Magazine, with special rules and war gear. That is long gone and not usable in todays games. Their story has been kind of retconned, where an Inquisitor had a Grey Knight force seek to wipe them out for using Chaos Artifacts (presumably because he wanted it). So the depleted forces scattered.

Within the pages of the new Marine Codex, they are no longer shown in the successor chapters (where it shows chapters and color schemes).

So my question is, Where are they and what have they done with my Marine chapter? Will we see them get a data slate? (would be an easy money grab to just copy & paste old wargear, rules and fluff).

Also on a side note.. if the Grey Knights and inquisition are so adverse to the use of demon weapons, why does GK Castellan Crowe use one and that inquisitors can take them as war gear?
It would seem it is a matter of using chaos to combat itself, which is what the Relictors did, first.

I eagerly await the news, I certainly hope they didn't fall to chaos, or just get left out...

Kind Regards,

Matthew Mandzak"

I guess in hind sight they gave me a neat name, and now I've been published twice in White Dwarf.

On other news, I have been working on my Inquisitor a lot, really just trial and error techniques. Not enough to merit a new picture yet, since it is hard to continue without solving the gun issue. Still haven't come up with what to with the breastplate either. But I'll get a pic up soon.

Quick update on my =][=

I wasn't sure if I liked the shoulder pad 'cingulum' last night when I made them, but they are growing on me. What do you guys think?

I am still unsettled on the shooting arm, and Ive been wracking my brain on Lord Ragnarok's suggestion of possibly making a daemon gun/cannon for count as..

Chest still a big "?"

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/image1_zpsbztlzgpn.jpg

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/image2_zps9a0fsczx.jpg

The pad looks raised over the shoulder, as if there's a blob of blue-tac holding it on. Is there a way to decrease its profile?

For the chest emblem, you could shave a similar icon off of another bit. It would have the same look, without the Flava Flav effect. For example, from a SM backpack.

For the gun... I'm of the opposite opinion. With that fantastic daemon sword on one side, maybe something techy on the other? What about a Phosphor Serpentia from the AdMech line? It's a big, old-timey revolver-flintlock that's jusr weird enough for an Inquisitor.

The pad looks raised over the shoulder, as if there's a blob of blue-tac holding it on. Is there a way to decrease its profile?

For the chest emblem, you could shave a similar icon off of another bit. It would have the same look, without the Flava Flav effect. For example, from a SM backpack.

For the gun... I'm of the opposite opinion. With that fantastic daemon sword on one side, maybe something techy on the other? What about a Phosphor Serpentia from the AdMech line? It's a big, old-timey revolver-flintlock that's jusr weird enough for an Inquisitor.

The shoulder pad is in fact raised, slightly, I used it to attach the cingulum(cinguli?) to it. I see the gap now and it does loot a big odd. Ill have to fiddle with it, though the extra space does allow them to hang, rather than lay flat on the arm; Partly why it was done.

The chest emblem is still odd, i trimmed so much of the chest away to account for the girdle. I think adding hammered metal like on the shins and in the hood might be good. But I also think adding a knightly collar could work.. but depending how I do my Artekus Bardane conversion, I don't want them both to have a similar thing going on.

As for the gun, it needs to be something that can count as a 'psycannon'. The phosphor serpentia might look big on a skitarii, but in the hand of a terminator, might look small. I agree it does look like some sort of archaic device and fits the more ornate and flamboyant/ eclectic equipment of an inquisitor. (again stressing a psycannon apparently turned into a massive gun this time around). Heck if someones got one laying around or anyothing ad mech gun that might fit the bill, I'd be more than happy to give it a go :)

Unfortunately a biproduct of this is that I cannot complete the model without the shooting arm.. lol still need to find a decent head too. Though the fill in one from the original post does work nicely without converting.

On a side note, is taking three servo skulls still a good thing for the inquisitor? I just want to make sure the wargear is represented correctly and viable

I have a spare erradicator beamer bit from the Tech Priest Dominus if you want to go that route. It would need to be grafted to a receiver of some kind. That may be on the large end of the scale, and I don't know if you have a preference for energy vs. projectile weapon.

I have a spare erradicator beamer bit from the Tech Priest Dominus if you want to go that route. It would need to be grafted to a receiver of some kind. That may be on the large end of the scale, and I don't know if you have a preference for energy vs. projectile weapon.

An eradication beamer might be too techy, though the offer is greatly appreciated. I am warming up to the idea of the phosphor serpentia, or maybe another 'chunky' ad mech type pistol.

Those legs... wub.png

This inquisitor is going to be really nice !

I think that adding some sculpt on the shoulder pads will be a great thing ! something like the stormcast HQ ...

Glad you like the legs! I am still debating if i should put that beveled trim on the bottom of the legs. Though in sculpting Ive already run into the issue for painting later, as the skull knee pads go into the hammered metal inserts (both being metal, the clashing or same color will look bad).

Which shoulder pads are you talking about, the ones with the lion/beast faces?

An eradication beamer might be too techy, though the offer is greatly appreciated. I am warming up to the idea of the phosphor serpentia, or maybe another 'chunky' ad mech type pistol.

Here's a Phosphoenix that I kitbashed from a phosphor blast pistol and an Empire Handgunner:

http://i.imgur.com/c9DNY52m.jpg

The Empire pistol is very clunky, and can easily be used as a base for a 40K firearm.

Archived