Radical Inquisitor, Relictors WIPS

dogfender

An eradication beamer might be too techy, though the offer is greatly appreciated. I am warming up to the idea of the phosphor serpentia, or maybe another 'chunky' ad mech type pistol.

Here's a Phosphoenix that I kitbashed from a phosphor blast pistol and an Empire Handgunner:

http://i.imgur.com/c9DNY52m.jpg

The Empire pistol is very clunky, and can easily be used as a base for a 40K firearm.

The Empire could be a good source, I will have to dig through my bits and see what I have. I am trying to find a picture of the gun next to a marine so i can get an idea of what it might be like next to a terminator.

Better yet if anyone has ad mech stuff, and has the phosphor serpentia, please take a pic of it next to a marine/ temie for me =P

Very nice, I love the look of the hood and pauldrons together! Extremely clean GS work also.

I am glad you like the hood and pauldrons, makes me feel good that the choices I've made are coming together.

GS is easy to manipulate when you have the right tools & a BFA with honors in sculpture msn-wink.gif . But I've used an array of different 'clay' in this project so far: GS, ProCreate (gray stuff), Plumbers putty (black), & Magic Sculpt (eggshell).

Yep the beast/lion ones ! i think it could add some baroque style to the armor but eh, that's a question of taste tongue.png

For the trims ... test it ! if it didn't come right, you still can remove them ^^

I will have to consider the beast head. As it is a Radical Inquisitor, I do need to still incorperate/ over compensate the Imperial allegiancy to really phone home the idea that he is good, he is just manipulates the bad. It would also depend on the gun selected and the pose of the arm because it changes the positon of the shoulder pad, and that might be better suited for the right arm where it is better displayed.

Ive thought about it, but for my taste I would want the trim to be similar to the rest, and the bottom edge of the greave to the bottom of the 'hammered plate relief' is thicker. So I would need to cut it down. Then when it comes to painting, all those nice metal areas blend together, and kinda create a troublesome colorscheme. All one color it looks weird, separate and ir clashes. We will see.

Thank you all for commenting, it is keeping me motivated on my project.

• 1 month later...

So I don't have any real update. I have stepped into a new career and am going business trip on Monday I am wanting to put a Bits order in for my return next weekend.

Help me create a retinue!

I am seeking advice on an inquisitorial retinue. I know that the retinue will fill a role in the army, and without a list the contents of said retinue can go in any direction.

List aside, the retinue should be 'fluffy' for a radical inquisitor who is apart of a Relictors force. I already have a daemonhost being worked on (though they aren't good). The inquisitor, as mentioned in earlier posts, is in TDA with psycannon upgrade w/ servo skulls (other wargear tbd).

If anyone has any recommendations of what the retinue should be comprised of please let me know, I would like to have my bits order in tomorrow evening =)

I like 3x Crusaders to stand in front and get shot up, 3x Death Cult Assassins to hang around behind and look menacing, and 3x Daemonhosts to wiggle menacingly until you get into close combat.  I drop these guys in a Valkyrie with my Inquisitor and a Tech Priest Dominus.  Most targets at least look threatened by them.

Just caught up with the thread. Looking really good and loving the level of detail your managing to do.

I'm currently working on some Inquisition and like the look of the older psycannon:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/166568-image/

It's just a long barrelled bolter with a few spikey bits and a big skull on it.

I like 3x Crusaders to stand in front and get shot up, 3x Death Cult Assassins to hang around behind and look menacing, and 3x Daemonhosts to wiggle menacingly until you get into close combat.  I drop these guys in a Valkyrie with my Inquisitor and a Tech Priest Dominus.  Most targets at least look threatened by them.

I am assuming it's best to just leave the crusaders bare bones since they are just meat shields? Unfortunately they won't be flying around with a tech priest :/

Just caught up with the thread. Looking really good and loving the level of detail your managing to do.

I'm currently working on some Inquisition and like the look of the older psycannon:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/166568-image/

It's just a long barrelled bolter with a few spikey bits and a big skull on it.

Ah yes I remember that! It's been really hard trying to come up with a gun or find something suitable for a psycannon. Am I liking something a bit more ornate than the huge bulky cannon that they have made

• 2 weeks later...

Work has kept me quite busy these last two weeks, travel and long days has worn me down. But great news: BITS!

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/IMG_1967_zpsz0nj72q5.jpg

More tomorrow, I'll be flashing and assembling my 'crusaders'.

Though at some point I will be remaking my inquisitor (not that the current one will be trashed). Having just skimmed through the Inq codex, terminator Inq cannot take daemon weapons... So I will be on the hunt for scion bits.

Got caught up with some wood working projects. Started to piece some things together and realized the GK falchions I was going to use have massive terminator hands.

Also why is it that scouts shoot with right and melee with left? Just about every other model is the opposite.. Modeling conundrums ahead..

Here are two quick shots of 1-4 crusaders I am working on. The sword is going to be replaced and is just temporary for getting a pose. The question is a matter of which type of shield: The large AoS one (that is similar to the crusader) or the smaller 'knightly' shield. Both have their pros and cons.

Big Shield

Pros

• nod to the shields used by the current crusader models
  • unique looking
  • more room for freehand/ sculpted detail

Cons

• obscure much of the model
  • doesn't lend it self to alternate poses
  • would make for a great 'shield eternal' on my hq
  • big gap between arm and curve of shield

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/image1_zpsiu8hmza7.jpg

Small Shield

Pros

• allows for more dynamic poses (still limited by shoulder pad/ cloak positioning)
  • 2-3 variants of shields
  • allows more visibility of the model

Cons

• less room for free hand/ sculpted detail
  • need to create handles/ armbraces
  • step away from 'classic' crusader look

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/image2_zpsmq5df5py.jpg

I am planning on using some GK falchions, as they are the easiest in surplus to come by. Unless someone has other suggestions.

I'm definitely digging the tower shield (option 1).  You can counter the coverage of detail on the model and the singular option in shield by using the large empty space on the shield itself to your advantage.  There are many options as far as freehanding/decals/bits to make each shield unique.

Yeah I like the larger shield, but it would make for a great shield eternal. If I use it here I am kinda left with what I consider sub-par options.

I thought about cutting the bottom off and making more like a Roman Scutum

Again though, all will have a static pose if they get the big shield, and I'm really wanting to do what is perceived by other hobbiests as 'the right move'. So please let me know what you think.

Also have bits for assassins and a daemonhost I am stoked to work on.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently ordered some new photo booth equipment, as mine have been long lost. My new tent arrived and I am still waiting for my lights. I was going to wait to post update pictures, but I want to keep things rolling and motivated.

So here are 3 (have a fourth not shown) Crusaders with the two shield options in question. Unfortunately the large kite shield makes the pose with the smaller shields look static, but that can change if those preferred. The sword hands are also a bit loose, so the poisitioning is just how they balance right now. I still need to clean things up with putty, sculpting collars etc. and adding trinkets. Let me know what you guys think. I want to get these models done so I can start working on my daemonhosts and DC assassins! Actually, I'll take a tally, and by the time these are done I will see which has more and I'll work on that project next.

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/crusader%20trio2_zpsvj4v6ljf.jpg

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/crusader%20trio1_zpss3hmcvpp.jpg

• 11 months later...

Slowely rises from the dead...

Well it has been a very long time since I posted, lack of motivation I guess.

I managed to finish putting my inquisitor together and he is ready for paint. The only thing not in the picture is the muzzle I added on the gun. Really looking Forward to disassembling him and getting him painted!

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/image1_zpsvun5ahqs.jpg

To help with my lack of motivation I bought some new paints and will be painted in a similar scheme to the death guard posted below, but instead of green pads it they will be red. Still out on the hammered metal areas since all the filagree and ornaments will be gold.

Suggestions welcome.

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/image2_zpsok6lj3vs.jpeg

Wow that inquisitor is amazing. What happened to the daemon sword? The inquisitor doesn't really look that radical at the moment. What materials are the tabard made out of? And I really like the crusaders you made too. Looking forward to seeing him painted up.

Sorry to say this, bit that inquisitor

...damn looks he good. Damn damn damn. Incredible

Thank you! It has taken a lot of time and re-dos to get him to look 'acceptable' to me.

Wow that inquisitor is amazing. What happened to the daemon sword? The inquisitor doesn't really look that radical at the moment. What materials are the tabard made out of? And I really like the crusaders you made too. Looking forward to seeing him painted up.

I understand your thoughts. Originally I wanted to make a Radical in Termi armor with a daemon weapon. The aesthetic I was going for was going to be contrasting, conveying that this inquisitor was in control of blade (paralleling The Relictors ideologies and practices). So his armor was going to be more a clean slate, something that looked 'holy', so I mixed in some classical Roman and Gothic forms, the reliquary really helps. But much to my dismay, a Termy cant use a daemon sword... I am kinda iffy on using it as a upgrade Force weapon. So I have an alternate Mace, which I think looks pretty BA. He just goes from Radical to generic. I can either A) keep it as is and Save the sword for a different inquisitor that would be more 'radicalized', cool.png Magnetize the hands for either or.... Only problem is that terminator hands are much larger than PA hands, and if I wanted to use the sword on a different model, I surely would want to make a dynamic pose.

The tabard (all the white putty) is magic sculpt, dries rock hard, good for carving sanding etc. Really great stuff.

The scrollwork on that guy's armor is wonderful. Jeez.

Thank you, it took a very long time to get it right. Having to let areas dry before moving to others and if it just didn't look right (which it didn't multiple times, trying to get the same thickness/ forms) I started all over. The hardest part was the breastplate, it got so thinned to accommodate for the large girdle I didn't know what to do!

very impressive, really like the clean greenstuff work, reminds me i need to practice more msn-wink.gif

keep up the awsome work

I sculpt more than painting these days. This will test my painting abilities, long absences usually age my skills like wine, but we will just have to see..

The one thing I am miffed about is after doing all that filagree, it became difficult to place purity seals. I also opted out of sculpting my own because I got lazy, so I hope they work lol. Trying to plan ahead of how to paint the model has also been a boon. A deep red for the shoulders would frame him in nicely, however, I don't believe going the route of how blood angels paint their purity seals is the answer. It just muddles together..

Anyways, the bigger question is on his weapon:

A) keep the mace and save the sword for a different inquisitor that would be more 'radicalized', cool.png Magnetize the hands for either or.

Not sure if upgrading from a d.hammer (comes with t armor) to a force sword is worth it (lol the daemon sword could be a force sword right? lol)

I also couldn't figure out how to attach the book in a clean way (look like its roped or chained on without cluttering) and be able to remove it for painting and applying it back on.. anyone has some last minute ideas, now is the time - this guy is getting sprayed tonight or else lol.

I'd love to see another inquisitor from you so I would say save the sword and make a more radical looking one. If the hands are too big you could use the full terminator gauntlet. Like the hand and the "coneish" part of terminator arms right before the elbow (then use regular power armor arms from elbow upwards if that makes sense). For the book you could just GS a rope on each end of the spine of the book leading up to the torso and then glue everything in place only after painting. 

Really really nice.

I dont usually like Terminator Inquisitors since they just look like terminator marines, but yours has alot of extra detail that really help sell it.

Only thing I could suggest is maybe a smaller head, to convey that mortal man in a huge suit of armour vibe.

That Inquisitor is absolutely incredible, period. As for the paintjob, how about painting his armour plates in a marble effect? That would still stay within the rough parameters of the DG colour scheme, and it's something I know I have wanted to do for a while with a converted Inquisitor of my own.

But seriously: What a brilliant conversion!

Not sure if upgrading from a d.hammer (comes with t armor) to a force sword is worth it (lol the daemon sword could be a force sword right? lol)

It isn't really worth it, no. The hammer has better strength and ap, and has force as well. The only thing the sword has going for it is striking at initiative. But between GEq level initiative and losing your assault grenades with the swap to terminator armour, inquisitors aren't likely to be striking first at the best of times.

If it was a swap between a force sword and a power weapon of some stripe, then maybe, but not with the hammer.

So I went out last night with co workers instead of spraying, and then took my truck in today. So haven't done anything lol.

I'd love to see another inquisitor from you so I would say save the sword and make a more radical looking one. If the hands are too big you could use the full terminator gauntlet. Like the hand and the "coneish" part of terminator arms right before the elbow (then use regular power armor arms from elbow upwards if that makes sense). For the book you could just GS a rope on each end of the spine of the book leading up to the torso and then glue everything in place only after painting. 

The initial concept was the stark contrast between the corrupted blade and a beacon of light. I have tried to do that with the book, and it just clutters the space between arm and thigh =/

Really really nice.

I dont usually like Terminator Inquisitors since they just look like terminator marines, but yours has alot of extra detail that really help sell it.

Only thing I could suggest is maybe a smaller head, to convey that mortal man in a huge suit of armour vibe.

I would love to add a smaller head if I had one that didn't make the model look like hes got a shrunken head. I have some old empire ones, but when they get smaller, details like the eyes just turn into slits =/ Ill have to scavenge through my bits box and see if i have anything more suitable, because I agree about the scaling. Just not sure it is worth it, bad enough with a 'normal' head the shoulders and proportions are already messed up (thanks gw, get your act together).

That Inquisitor is absolutely incredible, period. As for the paintjob, how about painting his armour plates in a marble effect? That would still stay within the rough parameters of the DG colour scheme, and it's something I know I have wanted to do for a while with a converted Inquisitor of my own.

But seriously: What a brilliant conversion!

Thank you! I have actually considered a marble look, Might be harder to pull off with the filigree though, because of the striations in marble the crossing lines might look cluttered.

And thank you, took awhile to get it right. I have a daemonhost I am nearly done with, just figuring out how to make him look floating without a wire, leaping off a rock or too fragile..

It isn't really worth it, no. The hammer has better strength and ap, and has force as well. The only thing the sword has going for it is striking at initiative. But between GEq level initiative and losing your assault grenades with the swap to terminator armour, inquisitors aren't likely to be striking first at the best of times.
If it was a swap between a force sword and a power weapon of some stripe, then maybe, but not with the hammer.

I didn't think it was worth it =/ I really like the mace Ive given him. Shame I really wanted to use that sword but it just isnt making sense to me to use it on this guy right now =/

Archived