Radical Inquisitor, Relictors WIPS

dogfender

Regarding the daemonhost, you could always use chains looking like they were dangling from the model while actually holding it aloft (or covering a piece of wire). Just sayin'... msn-wink.gif

Already have some plastic chains, but the issue is how flimsy they are, especially if I heat and bend them. Casting and putting a strong yet thin and pliable has been proven difficult to get right.

I have also done actual chain that has been glued, but the issue with that is if one of those links break, paint job and model are ruined.. I have tried on other models. Also half the links usually fill with glue, so a good effect they either need to be all empty or all filled.

I might settle with the chains but the daemonhost dragging some sort of 'anchor' around with him.

I have finally begun painting, with the above mentioned color scheme, but deep red shoulder pads instead of green.

With this several issues have come up, which is why I seek some alternative views.

With the 'cream' body and red shoulders I was digging the contrast it was going to provide. Here are the issues:
-Purity Seals: the parchment may already be slightly difficult to differentiate, but it is the seal itself. Red on red never looks good (blood angels with pink seals, no thanks)
-][ Icon: the icon on the shoulder pad present another interesting issue. With so much gold, I think black would stand out.
-'Fringe': If the pads were 'red', the options I am thinking are black or brown, not sure either of those would look good =/

'Cream' shoulder pads:
+ Purity Seals: the seals could actually be red and stand out.
+ ][ Icon: could be red, as could the icon on the buckle creating a nice rule of three, or they could be black or gold.
+  Fringe: all the fringe could be that nice deep red, providing the nice rule of 3.
- Pads: same color as the armor comes off as plain
Black shoulder pads:
+ Purity Seals: the seals could actually be red and stand out.
+ ][ Icon: could be red and really stand out, buckle icon could also be red and create a nice rule of 3.
+  Fringe: all the fringe could be that nice deep red, providing the nice rule of 3, and still stand out.

Lastly, keep the armor clean, or chip and weather it?

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

On clean or dirty: consider this - do you want to play with the models or showcase them?  Although the hobby is not really so binary, the question may help focus.  There is amazing art on this forum and the proof is in the pictures.  Yet, all that detail gets lost on the table.  Just a thought.

As for red on red, why does a purity seal have to be red?  Regardless, what about a burgundy seal?  It'll be darker than red and yet still be "red" ^_^

On clean or dirty: consider this - do you want to play with the models or showcase them? Although the hobby is not really so binary, the question may help focus. There is amazing art on this forum and the proof is in the pictures. Yet, all that detail gets lost on the table. Just a thought.

As for red on red, why does a purity seal have to be red? Regardless, what about a burgundy seal? It'll be darker than red and yet still be "red" happy.png

I don't play, but I like to build things accordingly for it, should I ever choose to pick up the die one day. So to answer, I will just be painting it to the best of my ability, just display.

The conundrum comes from adding a layer of texture/ story, battle worn, or meticulously looks after his armor.

Well lets say I wanted the shoulders to be a 'darker' red. a more vibrant red could be fine, Still the Inquisitorial symbol may look weird as anything but black, and then there are all the Pteruges to consider color for.

Wow. That's gotta be one of the best terminator Inquisitors I've seen. Your GS work is perfect. Can I ask what you used to make the pteruges?

Thank you for the kind words. When you are constantly critical of your own work, doing things over and over is a great way to get results and go crazy lol.

The pteruges are made out of Magic Sculpt, it is like a two part sculpting resin that dries like a rock. The studs are just glass micro beads.

Recently someone called attention to a color scheme I never mentioned doing,, and has cast doubt on the one I have selected more so now because of the 'problems' I have run into. Originally I was going to do Sons of Horus styled colors. I kinda felt the green was going to be a bit odd on it for some reason. And the bone color does make him seem all the more pure.

I'll put it up to a vote I guess!

Option 1: Green with black pads, gold trim/ filigree, brown-red 'fringe'

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspaajxph9.jpeg

Or

Option 2: Bone with burgundy pads, gold trim/ filigree, brown-red 'fringe'

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/image2_zpsok6lj3vs.jpeg

Vote now! Be apart of the project! State your vote and list and reasons

Taking all things into consideration. I don't want to add more layers I don't have too.

The colors above are just for the bulk of the model, not verbatim color scheme with pads.

Option 1: green With black pads

Option 2: bone with burgundy pads

Thank you so far for the time to cast your vote and voice your opinions, keep them coming!

I can honestly say I am shocked at the results. It's not only here but FB and another forum I am collecting data from.

It's close, but still surprised more are voting for the green.

Let me clarify, all the 'fringe' will be a reddish brown, so it could go with either scheme.

Keep those votes coming in! Thanks everyone :)

Thank you all for those who participated in the voting. I will be closing these polls by the end of the day. If anyone has some final input regarding the color scheme leave a comment and I will factor it in tonight.

As of right now, based on the above results, FB, and other forums it's neck and neck, green is ahead by 1!.. Though not many have justified their vote

Thank you all who participated in the voting and making your case. It was a really tight race between the two colors. With the data colored from here, other forums and FB we have a winner, by the skin of its teeth:

Option 2: Bone with burgundy pads, gold trim/ filigree, brown-red 'fringe'

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac50/Pariah-Miniatures/image2_zpsok6lj3vs.jpeg

So painting will continue and I will post an update when something more substantial is done. Weird how initial gut instincts are typically the right ones.

Thanks again!

Archived