How do i beat IG?

Rayray1992

Hi there everyone 

The main person i play is an imperial guard player and in higher points games he always boards me everytime, I've only ever beaten him once and that was on a 750 points game. 

I usually run around 1200 points of ravenwing, 3 squads of bikes , black knights, land speeders and sammy and with them i either support with a few terminator squads or tactical squads and armour.

Just wondering if you have any tips or tactics that could help me beat him ?

cheers!

He usually has a big conscript squad

3/4 platoons with command squad, heavy weapons teams

quite a few leman russes, he sometimes runs about 5/6 bulgrims

a taurox prime (not sure if i spelt that right)

he also uses storm trooper type guys (they can deep strike/ come on reserve)
and he has used Valkyries

He has a pretty well rounded force so any help you can give would be appreciated smile.png

You could go for a combination of flamers an meltas on the bikes and some flamers as well in the termie squads. Also the ravenwing formation with the landspeeder is worth considering if you run termies for the 12" deepstike bubble, when combat squaded you can basically DS your deathwing exactly where you want. 

A lot of lasguns with orders will hurt your termies, your bike not so much but you should hug LOS blocking terrain until turn 2 and alpha stike with the deathwing with lot of templates. If you thin his squad enough, tanks will not be a problem for long. 

3 things will help you tremendously and they all involve assault.

1) 1-2 LS dark shrouds. Prevent the blob squad overwatch of doom when you assault in

2) change black Knights to RW com squad - much better durability for 30 more points.

3) utilize hit and run on your bikes to keep squads safe. Basically, you want to ensure that your bikes are not getting shot at by the more potent shooting options available to the guard. After you shoot and charge in, your opponent loses their overwatch AND shooting phase. Hopefully they're running priests to make the blob fearless. so they don't get swept as you should always win the initial round of combat. Should you make it to a second round of combat, hit and run out, move your Knights to the next group and have other units finish squads off as need be

Other options involve utilizing drop pod allies for a lot of destruction. I would recommend the following allies if you play against foot guard a lot

Ultra marines allies

Tigurius - want to roll invisibility power - 165

5x tac sq - flamer, combi flamer, drop pod, deathwind launcher- 135

5x tac sq - same loadout as above or switch to meltas - 135 or 140

Drop pod - 35

3x cent devs - 3x Grav can, 1x missile launcher, omniscope - 290

It's pretty expensive for allies but those dev cents and flamer squads will tear up foot guard all day. Just keep the cents out of assault range.

So would it be better to run ravenwing backed up with green wing ?

Have some speeders with double flamers for the infantry blobs, attack bikes with multi meltas to go tank hunting 

bikes with meltas and flamers (For both) backed up by darkshrouds negating the massive overwatch they get 

run sammy with a command squad 

and then have a few small tactical squads with maybe missile launchers , and maybe whirlwinds ?

or keep to the RW and DW combo and put heavy flamers/cyclone launchers on the termi squads?

I like a Dread with a TL Heavy Flamer.  Devestating against anything with a 4+ armor save or worse.  With the extra attacks now, they are really hard to tarpit as well.  This is another suggestion for handling the blob.  I would also consider running a Support Squadron with TMLs.  If they get shots on rear armor they'll kill those Russes, and they can also take chunks out that blob while staying safely out of range.

Ravenwing Support Squadron. I'd run 3-5 HB/AC speeders with a dark shroud with AC. That's 25-39 S5-6 AP4 shots which will chew through a blob like it's nothing. That many AC shots can help against Russes as well. The best part is that lasguns can't hurt them so they won't be forced to junk just by having infantry shoot at them.

The Dark Shroud can also allow your BKs to charge without suffering overwatch if needed. Remember, Sammael lets his unit charge an extra 3" so your RWCS should have an awesome threat radius. Use unit coherency to stretch the unit back to within 6". You may lose some HOW attacks, but it's worth not eating overwatch. BKs are pretty outstanding against guard in CC both the infantry and the tanks. Outflank your BKs using the RWSF and they'll come in turn 2 and potentially get rear shots on the Russes with rapid-fire plasma.

Guard seems to be one of the armies that Dark Angels are well equipped to fight. This is particularly true with Ravenwing, just be careful of any ignores cover shots.

Your running an elite army that needs practice he's running a straightforward guard army

Your ravenwing are well capable of getting in the tanks on Turn 2 and wrecking everything, as someone has suggested a DS for support adding to your jink save then murderize them.

Do not nip around the edges go for it from turn 1 you have a elite force the longer the game goes on with no commitment and nipping rod the edges then the worse it will get for you

outflanking multi-melta attack bikes are fantastic for taking out his tanks too.

I'd say DA should have no real problems with taking out IG armour. The infantry blobs are more of an issue though as people have mentioned the ravenwing support formation with HB/AC are great for that - and the ravenwing black knights have hit and run so at least they cant tie you down in combat.

I'd watch out for the ignores cover lascannons - they can get a lot of those, and a lot that are hard to get to (being in infantry blobs etc)

Another option is a demi company...or two.  Nothing deals with massed GEQs like massed boltguns.  Demi company, put four lascannons on the dev squad to plink at his armor, put the assaulters in a drop pod with eviscerators and meltabombs for more tank-popping.  

If you want to keep the ravenwing, give them melta and outflank them to go for the tanks!

whirlwinds are nice, but vindicators have AV13 and the same size blast template, with the bonus of threatening both infantry and tanks.  If you have the models, maybe a hammer of caliban with the vindie option...that enormous blast could remove half of his infantry on turn one, then move on to pile multiple tank hunting demolisher shells onto his armor with the support of the two godhammers on the land raider.

Archived