Terminator librarian loadout ?

eurieus

Hey brothers !! 

Question in in the title really :) 

I'm gonna kitbash a terminator libby and i was wondering what would be the best force weapon for him ? He's likely going to be with a shooty terminator squad but still ... 

Oh and while i'm here, termie int-chaplain with MoR, storm shield or not ? will mostly run with a DWK squad :) 

Brother Eurieus 

I put my libbys with shooty terms too. For cheap points just a storm bolter or nothing is usually what i run cuz its just and extra storm bolter in a squad of storm bolters. Thats not really his focus. Id rather give him a melta bomb for the same points. I also prefer the force axe modeled from the halbred of caliban cuz it looks awesome! Pretty easy to do with the newest termy model and the blood angel libby

Well if it helps at all, this is how I go about deciding on which power/force weapons to give certain models.

Usually I try to see what the unit itself will do and what kind of hitting power it needs, secondly I try to see what kind of defenses the weapon holder has.
So for librarians in power armour I tend to avoid the force axe (due to unwieldy, a 3+ save isnt particularly defensive, so you want the librarian to hit first) So I'd usually go with the force sword on power armoured librarians

(I love to pick the force stave with biomancy librarians though as it works so well with some of the biomancy powers, but we cannot get biomancy so my DA power armour librarians stick with the force sword.)

With Terminator Librarians, however, I feel like their 2+ armour is good enough to take an unwieldy weapon and survive to be able to hit back so I take the Force Axe with them.

But I basically just decide whether the librarian can survive to hit back at initiative 1 or not. If he can, he gets a force axe, if not, a force sword.

I feel like you should really see what you want him to do first, always try to synergise him with his unit.

hah, sorry for that wall of text - hope that helps a little.

With regards to the Int Chappy in TDA. give him the mace, but replace the stormbolter with it. So he has a crozius and mace - that way he still gets the +1 for dual weapons. And the chaplain really isnt much of a shooty model anyway - he already has a 4++ so no need for the stormshield (I don't even think he can get one anyway)

Just remember that for any weapon relics you want on a tda librarian, you would have to first buy a storm bolter (unless you want to sacrifice your force weapon). I like either nothing or combi-weapons for mine as a stormbolter doesn't add much, but a combo might be useful in the turn they come in thanks to vengeful strike.

Given how easy it is for us to have pinpoint DS and since we have the ability to run after DS, I usually take a Combi-Melta to try and one shot a high priority target. Also, I usually take my libbies with my DWKs and go tank hunting.

Thanks for the input guys ! 

I never use weapon relics onthe libby since he never performed well in CC ( at least for me ) , but i always use the MoR on the chaplain. Also never thought about making him pure CC, but again i  never used a terminator chaplain :) 

So i might stick with the power axe with libby then, never thought of using the hallberd of caliban, that's a great idea ! 

Also, the combi weapon on the libby is just a regular combi bolter ? 

well now we're not forced to take a ranged weapon.  I like Conversion Field+Digital Weapons and then either the Force Staff or Axe.  If he's going to be my warlord I'll probably give him the new Shroud of Heroes.

Eye of the Unseen doesn't seem too bad with a Force Staff and in the right group (TH/SS terminators or Knights), you'd drop the Digital Weapons of course.

I always gave my DKW a TDAIC in the old codex...whiffing on smite-mode was just too much of a risk.  Now, though?  I'm not sure I'd do that.  A second librarian would probably be more useful.  If you want a character to go with the knights, I would suggest either a company master or Belial.  More (and better) attacks is more valuable than rerolls, IMHO.  Belial with TH/SS, he's a challenge monkey now, and company master with Mace and SS, he'll get T5 and lay out S7AP3 pain at I5, which is just delicious.

If you are running a storm shield on your CM, then the relic blade is far more points efficient than the mace. You save 20 points by going relic blade. I don't think +1S (when you are already S6), concussive (you already have concussive on all the knights) and blind are worth 20 points. If you have the points to burn and no better place to use them, then sure. Otherwise, I would run him with the relic blade.

The old version of blind that took effect instantly was definitely worth the upgrade. Now that it takes effect at the end of the assault phase (and only forces a single check to boot), not so much.

I always gave my DKW a TDAIC in the old codex...whiffing on smite-mode was just too much of a risk.  Now, though?  I'm not sure I'd do that.  A second librarian would probably be more useful.  If you want a character to go with the knights, I would suggest either a company master or Belial.  More (and better) attacks is more valuable than rerolls, IMHO.  Belial with TH/SS, he's a challenge monkey now, and company master with Mace and SS, he'll get T5 and lay out S7AP3 pain at I5, which is just delicious.

I can understand the Belial recommendation but I'm not sure I follow why you'd add in the TDA Company Master vs a TDA Int. Chappy. 

So let's say Belial is the challenge monkey as you put it - which is a pretty decent use for him actually.

The Int. Chaplain with mace gets the same base attacks as the company master + 1 more for dual weapons (as you'd generally always replace the chappy's storm bolter for the mace)

So the Int. Chaplain is actually hitting more than the Company Master, for the same quality of hits. Then on top of all that he's still giving the whole unit the rerolls (including Belial).

What he's losing in exchange for this is of course the storm shield (which shouldn't matter if he's in a unit filled with storm shields) and the T5 from Fortress of Shields (which again, shouldn't matter if he's in the unit of majority T5 models - Belial's taking the challenges too so the Int. Chaplain wont be singled out)

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something?

I can understand the Belial recommendation but I'm not sure I follow why you'd add in the TDA Company Master vs a TDA Int. Chappy. 

So let's say Belial is the challenge monkey as you put it - which is a pretty decent use for him actually.

The Int. Chaplain with mace gets the same base attacks as the company master + 1 more for dual weapons (as you'd generally always replace the chappy's storm bolter for the mace)

So the Int. Chaplain is actually hitting more than the Company Master, for the same quality of hits. Then on top of all that he's still giving the whole unit the rerolls (including Belial).

What he's losing in exchange for this is of course the storm shield (which shouldn't matter if he's in a unit filled with storm shields) and the T5 from Fortress of Shields (which again, shouldn't matter if he's in the unit of majority T5 models - Belial's taking the challenges too so the Int. Chaplain wont be singled out)

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something?

What you're missing is that I'm not putting two HQs in the same squad.  And WS6 beats the pants off of WS5...WS5 is actually fairly common.  Company masters hit those guys on 3s, Interrogators do not.  

If you are running a storm shield on your CM, then the relic blade is far more points efficient than the mace. You save 20 points by going relic blade. I don't think +1S (when you are already S6), concussive (you already have concussive on all the knights) and blind are worth 20 points. If you have the points to burn and no better place to use them, then sure. Otherwise, I would run him with the relic blade.

The old version of blind that took effect instantly was definitely worth the upgrade. Now that it takes effect at the end of the assault phase (and only forces a single check to boot), not so much.

Technically, you can combine a two handed weapon with a storm shield, but that would be ridiculously unfluffy, and you should get a -1WS -3I penalty for doing so.  Also, I run into more than enough T5 to justify paying for S7.

Yeah that is true, I just assumed Belial would be the one to do that - but I guess the CM could do that and leave Belial fresh for challenges.

What you're missing is that I'm not putting two HQs in the same squad.  And WS6 beats the pants off of WS5...WS5 is actually fairly common.  Company masters hit those guys on 3s, Interrogators do not.  

Right, I assumed they'd be in the same unit. That makes sense then. and as Elios says, the CM is definitely better at tanking.

How you plan to use the unit he is in will definitely influence how you should use the libby in TDA.  Basically, being in a shooty terminator squad leads me to believe that you're most likely not going to be leading him into charges against other independant characters.  If this is the case, the rest of the squad will benefit more from having a few opposing attacks removed and as ap3 is enough to do serious damage to most non melee dedicated units, this would be the ideal weapon.  The termies will do the necessary damage to the squad with their pfists, you just soften them up

If your meta has a lot of multi wound models you need to deal with (nobs, meganobs, TWC, etc.), going with a power axe and *GASP* using the force ability of the weapon can really do some damage and is usually pretty unexpected

Archived