Neophytes & Sword Brothers

minigun762

I'm trying to justify a air mobile templar force, something dropped from low orbit.

Specifically I'm thinking LS Storms, Talons, Ravens and a few drop pods.

My major hang up is the lack of basic initiates. I don't have much of a need for them as my pods will be full of Sword Brothers.

I have two words for you. Marshal's Household. :D I see no reason why a Marshal wouldn't deploy a large portion of his Sword Brethren if the situation called for it.

Explain those two words more, they're new to me...

Marshall's household?

It's actually the name of the organizational element of a crusade that the sword brethren belong to. They are the veterans of the chapter organized as the core of the crusades from amongst which the Marshalls and castellans are chosen.

There are a number of formations in the new codex of all elite units like vanguard veterans sternguard veterans terminators etc that would fit with a simple name swap. Formations like the first company task force and the strike force ultra.

I have two words for you. Marshal's Household. :D I see no reason why a Marshal wouldn't deploy a large portion of his Sword Brethren if the situation called for it.

Ah well since Black Templars have no companies we naturally have no 1st company either. Instead when they are promoted to the rank of Sword Brethren they join the Marshal's Household. All of the Sword Brethren in a crusade are part of the Marshal's Household as well as the chaplains, dreadnoughts, techmarines, etc. Basically it contains all of the command elements of the crusade. Like the rest of the chapter there is no real imposed squad structure and Brethren fight together out of brotherhood. So Sternguard, vanguard, terminators, etc are all just sword Brethren by another name.

Ah well since Black Templars have no companies we naturally have no 1st company either. Instead when they are promoted to the rank of Sword Brethren they join the Marshal's Household. All of the Sword Brethren in a crusade are part of the Marshal's Household as well as the chaplains, dreadnoughts, techmarines, etc. Basically it contains all of the command elements of the crusade. Like the rest of the chapter there is no real imposed squad structure and Brethren fight together out of brotherhood. So Sternguard, vanguard, terminators, etc are all just sword Brethren by another name.

I guess I never really thought of how Sword Brothers were organized outside of the battle field.

I tend to think of them as in charge of a squad of initiates, so I'd image them staying with their fellow battle brothers.

The Marshall's household is sort of our own version of the 1st company. However, templar crusades often do not use the organized structure of the other marine chapters.

So a SB could join a squad of initiates with a few neophytes in tow and be considered fluffy (note he does not take any neophytes under his own watchful gaze). An entire squad of SB could also operate with various weapons (personal taste) as a separate unit from a squad of initiates.

Simply put, there are no squad sergeants in the templar forces, but sometimes a SB will act as one, if the situation demands.

I don't forsee Neophytes working on their own in a Templar force. It doesn't fit with the master/apprentice relationship that the Templars train by.

IMO if a neophyte is ready to be on his own he's ready to be an initiate

Also, the cost of scouts has gone up, but they remain the same cheap cost in our crusader squads, while gaining the boosted stats. Bonus reason to use them in a fluffy way.

In reference to the OPs intent to use scouts, I see no reason that we would not employ scouts, though I doubt very much that ours would be neophytes, but rather initiates in the lighter, more stealthy power armour.

? Scouts are the same cost as last edition, so no price increase. But in any case, Templars don't do stealth, we do brutal forward actions and crush the enemy's resolve with overwhelming force. ;)

Very true but I'm struggling on how to mesh that theme with an airborne force.

Unless I just spam drop pods I guess...

? Scouts are the same cost as last edition, so no price increase. But in any case, Templars don't do stealth, we do brutal forward actions and crush the enemy's resolve with overwhelming force. msn-wink.gif

Very true but I'm struggling on how to mesh that theme with an airborne force.

Unless I just spam drop pods I guess...

Thing about that is , drop pods are fluff safe for templars

that an armored spearheads are like the stuff they do

Archived