Hit & Run - possible uses

LutherMax

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of running Dante for the first time ever and am intrigued by his Hit & Run rule. Reading the rule I can see a couple of obvious benefits:

1) You got charged by something really nasty or blobby and can get out to avoid getting bogged down / smashed to death

2) There is an objective nearby so you break away from combat to score / contest it that same turn

Regarding No. 1, Dante is quite a beast in combat and I would run him with a suitably beastly support unit so this scenario hopefully wouldn't be too much of a problem. I.e. him and his unit should chew through blobs quick, but there are of course things out there that could match / best them.

No. 2 speaks for itself but I'm interested to hear insights into other possible uses / benefits of this rule.

Thoughts?

You're missing the really obvious one which is Furious Charge... if you're in combat on their turn, H&R at the end of it, then come blasting straight back in with the strength buff, extra attack, and initiative buff if you're running a Baal Strike Force.

Also, related to number 2, the Slingshot - if there's an objective you can't reach but an enemy that you can (in the same general direction) then move 12", charge 2d6, pile-in 3", and then hit and run 3d6. Given you only have to be within 3" of an objective to score, it's technically possible to reach something 48" away from your starting point. This is only recommended if you're a) desperate or b ) looking to score a monstrous amount of style points.

I personally think one of the best units for Dante to accompany is vanguard veterans with a few Shields and maybe one or two power weapons, if that. Keeps them cheap, they can tank for him and his 2+ helps out against small arms. Alternatively a command squad works too, with the champion eating challenges and everyone getting FNP.

Dante will chew through entire squads of anything himself, probably being able to slay all but Abbaddon, IH Cheese Master etc in a challenge reliably.

This way you'll do damage, but maybe not enough to warrant the enemy breaking, then you finish them in thier turn and get another free charge.

Also this build rocks MC, especially with a grav pistol!

If you charge a large and/or resilient unit (or you just rolled poorly) with a suffciently resilient unit (e.g SG with priest and/or librarian) you can get the charge bonuses in the "second" round of combat as well.

IMO the best unit to attach Dante to is DC with a Chaplain. Being able to rinse and repeat FC, Rage bonus attacks and the rerolls from the Chappy (& +1I if BSF) is awesome, between the S7 ap2 from Dante, 2 power fists and the weight of ap- attacks means you can handle pretty much anything.

D

If there's anything better than an invulnerable save, it's not even allowing the enemy to roll dice. I think of hit and run not so much as allowing me to get a combat bonus to really annihilate a unit, but rather a means to be in combat during the enemy shooting phase. Don't get me wrong, the above points are very good, but Dante and his unit are a wrecking machine already.

The 3D6 'break away' distance is unreal.  Any special rule, however subtle, that lets you do something in the enemy's phase is a top tier special rule.  Consider this: It's usually at least 2+ free 9 inch moves per game.  In some situations it may also help you catch units that are otherwise faster than jump packs as well (3D6+12" move +2d6 charge).  Likewise, hit and run helps avoid unwanted assaults--Dante not only escapes an enemy killbox, but continues to force the enemy to commit more units and thought towards killing him as he jumps around the table.

Commonly I see the enemy move forward to take objectives, or to hold them for some D3 maelstrom card. Hitting these units (disordered charges if you can, to avoid wiping them out), even if they aren't really key to winning the battle has often helped me move up the table to avoid getting wiped out by a riptide or such. The same can be said for infiltrators, or just poorly placed enemy units on the flanks. 

Thanks for the insights gentlemen!

@ Admenus, that is sneaky but I like it msn-wink.gif

I've never actually pulled that particular one off. The best I've done was even sneakier though... opponent was 1 objective up, with a large unit sitting on an objective. I charged them from the far side, pulling them off the objective with their 3" pile in move, then further off with the pile in at the end of combat, then hit-and-ran past them to take they objective they used to have. The other guy was not impressed...

Been running my BA bikes with hit and run the last 7-8 games, some with Dante and some with a WS chapter master allied. I really think bikes are the best unit for Dante due to t5 against dakka and jink for ap2 stuff. And bikes usually don't overkill so it's easy to stay locked the turn you charge, plus bikes are shooty but they have to jink often. If you hit and run in the end of opponents turn you will be hitting at full BS with your melta/grav. While hit and run is really nice to have for close combat units, it really shines in shooty units(command squad with JP, bikes)

It's fine to run him with DC/SG, but don't expect to hit and run often unless your playing against wraiths or other really tanky/fearless units.

Does a WS IC even work with BA bikes? You then have one model from the WS chapter and  a couple of mpt drawnm from the WS chapter in the unit. Doesn't that count as containing "models drawn from two different Chapters"?

I personally think one of the best units for Dante to accompany is vanguard veterans with a few Shields and maybe one or two power weapons, if that. Keeps them cheap, they can tank for him and his 2+ helps out against small arms. Alternatively a command squad works too, with the champion eating challenges and everyone getting FNP.

Dante will chew through entire squads of anything himself, probably being able to slay all but Abbaddon, IH Cheese Master etc in a challenge reliably.

This way you'll do damage, but maybe not enough to warrant the enemy breaking, then you finish them in thier turn and get another free charge.

Also this build rocks MC, especially with a grav pistol!

I put Dante in Sanguinary Guard for offense, Vanguard Vets w/ SS for survivability (only if I know I face a lot of AP2), and Command Squad w/ 3x SS as a middle ground. VV just seem to get so expensive, not to mention throwing in a SP for even more durability.

As for Hit and Run, it is simply MAGICAL when used with Furious Charge.

Some on the boards may be tired of hearing me state this but Dante+SG w/ Chapter Banner (+1A) + SP has killed Chapter Master Smashf****r who rolled well to have +1 to FNP.

Hit and Run + FC is amazing.

Archived