Kitting out the Sanguinary Guard - who carries the banner?

tjr

Currently I run:

1 with Sword + banner

2 with Fists

5 with Swords

How are yours equipped?

Generally, the guys with Fists are usually some of the last to die. I can't help but wonder if Fist + Banner would make more sense? That way, there'll be one less guy to "protect". However, it's also a lot of points on one model.

Conversely, if I wanted to add some Inferno Pistols, I'd think it would the most sense to have 'em on a swordsman, and kept at the front because of the low range.

I Have 2 fists (one with banner), 3 axes and 5 swords. One plasma, one infernus.

Mix and match these 10 models for whatever size I want. Banner on fist works well for the reasons you've already stated.

I've never had a problem with the banner guy getting sniped early. When the unit comes under attack it's either large amounts of AP2 fire or attacks that usually wipes them out in a single phase.

I used to run two squads with 2 axes, 3 swords, one with an Infernus Pistol, one with Chapter banner. IP with a sword, and Bannner with a sword. Obviously in the second squad I didn't run the banner. These days, I usually run all ten of them in one squad, or one small squad with an IP.

If I'm taking a banner for my Sanguinary Guard, it's usually because it's a larger squad, so I can spare a guardian to sit in the back with no other options. That banner is relatively expensive and it proves a massive benefit to a large squad, so I feel like the banner bearer is on the same level as the power fist guardians in terms of who dies first/last.

Archived