The Eagle warriors have the following gene-seed mutations:

- Prone to just losing it, commiting horrible crimes

- Improved eye-sight, but decreased super hearing

- Higher percentage of the psyker mutation, but have a harder time controling it

- Softer and less resistant skin, thinner but stronger bones.

- prone to mutations in the back, feet and hands, this is completly negated by bionic replacements after gene-implantation on mutated recruits.

The Grave Stalkers have a couple of smallish things:

• Black sclera and irises.
  • Pariah gene.
  • Very low success rate of implantation in non-Kabyiebian aspirants. (Very good success rates from Kabyieb, but the relatively small population still limits numbers.)
  • Particularly well-developed Sus-an Membrane. (Makes the Reapers a viable combat unit as they can effectively live only during battle, greatly increasing their effective longevity.)
  • Deficient Melanchromatic Organ. (Gives marines a pale, ghostly appearance.)

The Iron Bears are a stable gene seed group. Also I never thought of size or enhanced canines as flaws in other legions, just dominate genetic traits from the Primarchs.

Neither do I, but that's what you get from a fast copy and paste job. 

So, I did a little more research, and discovered that the Imperial Fists didn't lose their two organs right away. Instead it seems to have over the 10k between 30k & 40k. Likewise, my research implies the same holds true for the Raven Guard, though it's suggested that this could be because of what happened when Corax used the Emperor's tech to accelerate marine development and the Alpha Legion mucked it up. The pale skin/black eyes seemed to have been there from the get-go.

So, only three legions suffer from critical flaws (Blood Angels, Space Wolves, & Thousand Sons), while a few more undergo aesthetic changes (Salamanders, Raven Guard, Emperor's Children, etc). The rest of the legions typically feature a few tweaks that happen to fit into their legion role (e.g. Death Guard's extra resistance to 'dirty' environments)

A couple of conclusions. If we successfully complete the Insurrection and move onto 40k, gene-seed defects are one possible way of highlighting the differences between then and now and adding more character. 

Insanity seems to be the name of the game when it comes to critical flaws in the BotL-verse. My Wardens can suffer extreme mental disorders & the Eagle Warriors tend to go psycho. I can't remember if I gave a flaw to the Warriors of Peace. I know they had trouble with unstable gene-seed, but I don't think it was an outright flaw. 

In the end, we appear to be more stable physiologically. Of course, we haven't heard from everyone yet, but that's what I'm seeing currently.

62 notifications... screw you guys with your productivity! :wink:

So, I was reading through Sigi's latest narrative, and it struck me. The Halcyon Wardens suffer from a geneseed defect that makes them more vulnerable to insanity. In the canon-verse, Alexandros is able to heal it for the most part, but he is never able to eradicate completely so it's always just beneath the surface. Now, in the canon-verse, it never really comes up again because the Wardens vanish as a lost legion. Here, they're caught in the Insurrection, so I wanted to remind myself and let y'all know that given the chaotic nature of the Insurrection, this is a potential weakness. 

At the same time, I thought I'd ask, which of the other legions also suffer from geneseed defects?

Although I'm a little late to the party, the Dune Serpents have a latent flaw in their geneseed which causes their personalities to divide and multiply like cells leading to an acute version of paranoid schizophrenia.  However, this has to be triggered within each individual marine (which, in the canonverse, Marid Karkadann does by testing his theory out first on Azus to try and seize power - this leads to Azus murdering Koschei.  After he sees how effectively his drug destabilises the marines, he feeds a gaseous form of it through the air recycling systems of a Dune Serpent Battle Barge).  This flaw would not be told to anyone barring possibly Alexos (seeing as the two Primarchs were 'buddies').  There could be something interesting in the Eagle Warriors trying to trigger this flaw to turn the Serpents, as Karkadann is killed HORRIBLY in this universe.  I marvel at the fact I can create a character I hate so deeply.

Here's a more complete version of the CLs gene seed mutations with reference to the various organs affected.

-An over-active Ossmodula and Biscopea, leading to greater bone and muscle growth as well as tougher skeleton.

-A slightly mutated Occulobe, which leads to all Crimson Lions having grey and slightly feline eyes(it's unknown whether this was a deliberate mutation).

-It's unknown why, but an effect of the III legion gene seed is that, in battle, more adrenaline is released than is normal for an astartes.

-The III legion gene seed can also lead to a condition which apothecaries theorise may stem from a derangement of the cataslepsian node. Occasionaly a Crimson Lion will succumb to this and fall into a fury in which his deranged mind causes him to believe that he is in fact an actual Lion. These individuals are normally either given the Emperors peace or allowed one last glorious charge at the enemy.

By the way, have you guys developed Colour Schemes for your Legions yet? I ask because I've seen one or two bits of Legion Badge icons floating around and some Legions (Lightning Bearers, Wardens of Light, etc) already had their schemes pre-developed before the whole Brotherhood of the Lost thing came about, I'm just surprised no-one else appears to have hit up the Space Marine Painter yet (besides the Drowned, cool colours guys).