You know, it suddenly hit me. Because the Halcyon Wardens has an entire cohort to serving alongside the other legions, there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of Wardens who are serving along the Traitor legions when the Insurrection hits...

You know, it suddenly hit me. Because the Halcyon Wardens has an entire cohort to serving alongside the other legions, there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of Wardens who are serving along the Traitor legions when the Insurrection hits...

As do the Warbringers apothecaries in Loyalist legions...

As do the Warbringers apothecaries in Loyalist legions...

Not in mine they dont! Since my boys are essentially the Apothecary Legion :p

Belagos and Garviel circled each other, looking for a weakness in the others defences. Although only training, the weapons they were using were sharp and could kill and draw blood. Here in the training cages they used a sword and a round shield of the type used by the vykingar of old Terra, the ancestors of the first legionnaires of the III, the Blood Wolves. However, neither of these astartes were Terrans. Garviel was a Cthonian, inducted into the Blood Wolves shortly before the primarch was found, and Belagos was a Mycenaean, recruited from the primarchs savage home world. Belagos struck first, swinging his sword in a blow that would have decapitated anyone with human reflexes. However, Garviel just sidestepped the blow, feinting a cut to Belagos' leg with his sword and then slamming his shield into the younger marines face when he moved his shield to block. As Belagos stumbled back, likely with a broken nose, Garviel said "Don't die stupidly little brother". Belagos, who had now recovered himself, snorted and said "I'm not going to die old man" before charging forwards again, feinting a smash to the face with his shield whilst his real blow was a disembowling blow aimed at Garviel's stomach. The older legionnaire spun aside, avoiding both blows, slashing Belagos' arm with his sword as he did so. "I could have swung at your stomach, opened you up and let your guts fall down to your knees. I can kill you at any moment" he said as he backed away, giving his brother space to recover himself. When Belagos did so, he snarled and rushed forward again, thrusting his sword at Garviels stomach. Garviel sidestepped the thrust and punched his shield into Belagos' face and knocking him down to the ground. When the younger Crimson Lion attempted to stand up, Garviel punched the pommel of his sword into his face, knocking him down to the ground once more. Then he followed up with a slash to the younger marines belly, creating a shallow wound. Then he said "I told you. Don't die stupidly". 

"How long have they been at it?" asked Trinnos, Lord of the Inroiar, the invaders. "Eight hours" replied his subordinate, Ekrin, a hard bitten Caraxian. Nodding, Trinnos said "Keep them at it for a few more hours then let them stop. They need some way of venting their frustrations and, while not as good as combat, training will keep them sharp". Ekrin grunted in assent and asked "Any news on how the negotiations are going?" at which his superior just shook his head. Growling, Ekrin said "It's ridiculous. The Warmaster calls for us, the best assault unit in the III, to help his own legion subjugate a rogue empire and then  when we arrive, he says he wants to try and negotiate first. If he wanted a force to simply sit in orbit and threaten them he should have used more of his own legion and let us get on with prosecuting the Crusade. Making idle threats and standing on parade is all the Wardens are good for anyway". Turning, Trinnos smashed one armoured fist into his subordinates unarmoured face, breaking his nose and causing blood to run down his face. The Inroiar were the most hot blooded of Hectarion's sons, quick to anger and ever thirsty for combat and the least self controlled, a temperament which suited their role as vanguard troops, the III legions elite planetary assault troops and so Trinnos would tolerate more disrespect toward the Warmaster amongst them than most other commanders would, his subordinate had gone too far. "You know very well that the Wardens are our equal in war and even if you didn't, the names on their banners should tell you. We have shed blood with them on a thousand battlefields. They are as much yours brothers as the Inroiar" as he turned to leave, his subordinate began to get up. Turning around, Trinnos smashed his fist into Ekrin's face again and then smashed his armour clad boot into Ekrin's chest, possibly breaking a rib or two. "One more thing. When the Warmaster calls, you don't question his methods. He is the one who the Emperor chose to succeed him, not our own primarch, and you will show him the due respect. If he chooses an alternate cause of action to that which you would choose, it's because he's thought it through and believes that's where our best chance of victory lies. Remember that or I'll find myself a new subordinate". As he began walking away, satisfied that he'd made his point, he heard the crackle of a power fist being energised. Looking over his shoulder, he saw Ekrin, a snarl on his face, revealing his blood stained metal teeth(the result of an unenergized power maul in the training cages) kneeling with his power fist energised. "Save it for the surface Ekrin. You wouldn't win and it's no use you getting beat again" whispered Trinnos before continuing to walk away, his chain axe in his fist just in case. However, he needn't have worried. His subordinates anger was already subsiding and he heard Ekrin de energise his power fist and spit blood out onto the deck before marching off, most likely to vent his anger on a practice servitor. 

Trinnos sighed. The Inroair were, by their very nature, the Crimson Lions in whom the molten core of anger that their father had passed onto them burned brightest, turning them into both the deadliest but also the most unstable astartes in the legion, often acting on impulse instead of on rational thought. This tendency made them unsuitable to fight in the shield wall alongside their brothers so they were often the first into a planetary assault, relying on sheer ferocity to carry them to victory, choleric rather than strategic. However, this was something the Inroair welcomed, letting their choler flow through them and harnessing it, focussing it towards enhancing their combat abilities rather than letting it be undirected like the Berzerkers of Uran. They welcomed the role this gave them as vanguard fighters, adding spikes and extra plating to their armour, leaping into battle on jump packs alongside the getae and sperothai or in drop pods, securing a landing site for the rest of the legion and butchering their way through enemy entrenchments with their chain axes. Trinnos relished such actions. Fighting and killing was what he was born to do, what all the Inroair were born to do. He was a weapon. Peace didn't suit him and the other Inroair. They needed to be soaking their weapons in blood. Given this, Trinnos couldn't but agree with his subordinate. If threat was the aim and he intended to negotiate from a position of strength, why HAD the Warmaster sent for them when they were killers, pure and simple?

You know what they say about the Eagles? That their primarch ain't the right one? Well after having served under them for score years, I can tell you that's right. Yucahu's a weird one. He wants a certain order, but he knows his marines just can't. It's in their blood. They do stuff their own way. Now, I won't pretend to read his mind, but I've never seen Yucahu smile. Not even after victorious campaigns or when greeting his brothers. He doesn't even call them that. I'll misquote him, but I remember hearing something like that: "Brothers are bound by blood. If we shared the same blood, then there'd be a single legion and not twenty, like Kozja dreams" That's not even the end of it. He completely refuses to be called 'Lord', insisting that only the Emperor deserves the title. Such a cult of personality around the Emperor, even from someone under His direct authority, is... I don't know, just weird. That's why his ship is full of Raptors and Aquilas too. Banners, doorknobs, lampshades.

But not on the armors of his Astartes. They don't really care about the aquilas. They aren't half as serious as their father. Quite the opposite. They're a merry bunch, these Eagles. Always joking about the last xeno race they drove to extinction, or each-other. True brothers, constantly bickering, like children. If Yucahu doesn't understand brotherhood, then his sons clearly do. They're also pretty laidback among us, poor humans. Sometimes they'll join a squad of auxilia in complaining about the cogboys not doing their work well enough, or in celebrating victory – I still don't know how they managed to find so much Mycenean nerith and bring it back to the Lux. But that's the good face. When we're star-side. I've followed them into battle too many times. Honestly, I don't know how I'm still alive. In battle, they'll just want to blast everything in sight and out of sight. If it's not dust yet, bomb it again. If there were auxilia in the shockwave's range, well too bad for them. And they do all that while still laughing. It's downright scary. They're like the Seventh when fighting, but at least the chains on a 'zerker's armour have symbolism, jail, freedom and all that stuff. A Void Eagle's chains are here so he won't lose his gun in space, or toss his axe at an enemy's face.

Honestly, I should've requested to remembrance the Halcyon Wardens, or Wardens of Light, or the Warbringers. Hekk, even the Fire Keepers would have been less dangerous for my life, and I wouldn't have wasted the rest of my life drinking.

Edited by Skalpynock

You know what they say about the Eagles? That their primarch ain't the right one? Well after having served under them for score years, I can tell you that's right. Yucahu's a weird one. He wants a certain order, but he knows his marines just can't. It's in their blood. They do stuff their own way. Now, I won't pretend to read his mind, but I've never seen Yucahu smile. Not even after victorious campaigns or when greeting his brothers. He doesn't even call them that. I'll misquote him, but I remember hearing something like that: "Brothers are bound by blood. If we shared the same blood, then there'd be a single legion and not twenty, like Kozja dreams" That's not even the end of it. He completely refuses to be called 'Lord', insisting that only the Emperor deserves the title. Such a cult of personality around the Emperor, even from someone under His direct authority, is... I don't know, just weird. That's why his ship is full of Raptors and Aquilas too. Banners, doorknobs, lampshades.

But not on the armors of his Astartes. They don't really care about the aquilas. They aren't half as serious as their father. Quite the opposite. They're a merry bunch, these Eagles. Always joking about the last xeno race they drove to extinction, or each-other. True brothers, constantly bickering, like children. If Yucahu doesn't understand brotherhood, then his sons clearly do. They're also pretty laidback among us, poor humans. Sometimes they'll join a squad of auxilia in complaining about the cogboys not doing their work well enough, or in celebrating victory – I still don't know how they managed to find so much Mycenean nerith and bring it back to the Lux. But that's the good face. When we're star-side. I've followed them into battle too many times. Honestly, I don't know how I'm still alive. In battle, they'll just want to blast everything in sight and out of sight. If it's not dust yet, bomb it again. If there were auxilia in the shockwave's range, well too bad for them. And they do all that while still laughing. It's downright scary. They're like the Seventh when fighting, but at least the chains on a 'zerker's armour have symbolism, jail, freedom and all that stuff. A Void Eagle's chains are here so he won't lose his gun in space, or toss his axe at an enemy's face.

Honestly, I should've requested to remembrance the Halcyon Wardens, or Wardens of Light, or the Warbringers. Hekk, even the Fire Keepers would have been less dangerous for my life, and I wouldn't have wasted the rest of my life drinking.

Wow, I've always had a lot of trouble picturing the Void eagles and suddenly they've come into focus :)

I really like the writing style of this remembrancer. I hope you give him a name, he deserves one.

Wow, I've always had a lot of trouble picturing the Void eagles and suddenly they've come into focus :smile.:

I really like the writing style of this remembrancer. I hope you give him a name, he deserves one.

That was the reason why I wrote that in the first place. To give a clearer vision of the Fourth before I get book-quality fluff.

This remembrancer (and his alcoholism) was initially an excuse for poor articulation of ideas (that's what you get when you write at near-midnight, after completing work at the last minute). But I'm like the point of view. Reminds me of Karkasy in Horus Rising. I may get his vision of the Battle of Malkier, a joint operation between the Void Eagles and Wardens of Light that, although an example in brilliant strategic coordination, resulted in a diplomatic failure due to divergent interpretations of the Emperor's order between Yucahu and Gwalchavad.

Ooh, ruthless Garviel. It occurs to me that we might want a scene to mark the last time the Emperor fought in the Crusade, probably against the Qarith but I'm open to suggestions. I guess we'd want it to be him, Alex and Icarion for maximum drama.

Crimson Fists, Carcharodons (RG predation fleet), Minotaurs (loyalist IW, I'm looking at you Khyr Vhalen!), Novamarines, Blood Ravens also spring to mind ^.^

Also - Skyrars Darkwolves (? spelling?) - traitor Space Wolves who use a lot of old wargear - we also had notes of traitor wolves in Conquest ;)

Executioners, Iron Snakes, Star Phantoms (Their Chapter Emblem is the old Legion Deathwing Emblem), Raptors, Aurora, Silver Skulls, etc.

There are quite a few.

Ooh, ruthless Garviel. It occurs to me that we might want a scene to mark the last time the Emperor fought in the Crusade, probably against the Qarith but I'm open to suggestions. I guess we'd want it to be him, Alex and Icarion for maximum drama.

Not sure, it has been a while since i read through this whole Thread. But I am not sure, if Icarion or Big E are present.

On the more practical part of the hobby:

Which Armor Marks do we have? As we stretched the crusading time, did we reach Mark VII at the time of the Insurrection? Or is our Mark VI Coyote Ugly Armor the most recent?

I just ask cause the new Deathwatch models are veeeeeeery sexy;)

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

Well, if we're going to play on the issues causes by the Boss' absence, we ought to have a snapshot of him doing his thing.

While there are plenty of opportunities to show the Emperor at work late Crusade, if you wanted him and Icarion & Alex, I'd suggest an early Crusade campaign, perhaps before any of the other Primarchs are found. 

Well, if we're going to play on the issues causes by the Boss' absence, we ought to have a snapshot of him doing his thing.

While there are plenty of opportunities to show the Emperor at work late Crusade, if you wanted him and Icarion & Alex, I'd suggest an early Crusade campaign, perhaps before any of the other Primarchs are found. 

Yeah, afterwards the others are way cooler *duck and run*

I second Simisons Idea, cause the quarith triumph was imho to give the other legions more spotlight, especially those who specialized on difficult terrain, if I remember correctly.

I think the important thing is that the Emperor's seen fighting at the height of the Crusade, regardless of which sons he's fighting beside.

In that case, take your pick. Canon-wise, while we know he spent the majority of his time with the Luna Wolves, the Emperor has fought with the other legions from time to time.

It really struck me as weird how, the one time in the Heresy books we actually saw AIs, they were actually under the full control of humans. The question is what form they take, although I'm definitely not going for humanoid.

As a Meshuggah fan, I'm basically obliged to name the ruling robot "Koloss". The campaign may also take place in the " Obzen System".

I think a mechanical death world might be a thing. But with a tempting possibility of SRTs.

As for the machines, can anyone think of some cool totally non-humanoid evil robots besides the Matrix and Edge of Tomorrow ones?

(Google's the Omega replicants) ooh yeah.

Edited by bluntblade