Drowned story incoming

Karrion looked all around him at the abandoned space station. Where others would have needed to change their helm's settings to night vision, the inky blackness that surrounded them posed no problems to the sons of Styx when it came to their vision. They had been born and raised in the never ending, choking blackness of Styx. When compared to the hope crushing darkness of their home, this darkness was nothing.

As he prowled through the winding corridoors of the orbital station, Karrion picked up various smells through his helm's sensors. The most prominent among them was blood and death. Karrion breathed deep. He liked the smells. They brought him comfort, reminded him of home and of a childhood of broken dreams. Don't begrudge misery and suffering. Welcome it with open arms, invite it in as you would an old friend. Only through knowing misery and suffering can strength grow and prosper. The primarch's words and wise words, words with which any who had survived a childhood on Styx would agree. Karrion never understood why natives of other worlds sought to avoid suffering or to lessen it. Suffering and misery were inevitable, why avoid them? Revel in them, grow strong through them. Any who refused to do so were unworthy of the life they had been given.

Looking out through his helm's lenses, Karrion saw one such individual. Lying in front of him was an Imperial Army trooper, his entrails spilling out to his knees and his upper body covered in pus filled boils. There even seemed to be things moving beneath his skin. Without doubt he was in great suffering. A blessing. However, upon seeing Karrion his eyes widened and he opened his mouth to speak. "K-Kill me! Please!" he stuttered out. Karrion couldn't help but sneer at such weakness, such refusal to see the misery he was in for the blessing it was.

Taking his knife from his belt, Karrion slipped its edge between the fool's skin and the muscle beneath. Then he began to peel. The skin came away, revealing the muscle beneath, red and raw. The little man screamed and shreaked in horror and pain, the noises he made music to Karrion's ears. He had known such sounds his entire life. As a youth upon Styx, they were all he had heard, a constant chorus of agony, lament and pain. It had been them or the mournful dirges that passed for song amongst the population of Styx. When he had finished skinning the little man's hand, Karrion looked back down. The man was staring, wide eyes, moaning in agony. Karrion heard his heartbeat. Fast. He was on the way out. Good. Perhaps he had learned something in his dying moments.

"Magnus the Dead". :cussing hell.

For me it's the "Zero Sons" that punched me in the gut... Wow, a whole legion dead ! This is so much more powerful then in Canonverse!

But yeah, great idea Skalpynock :)

Edited by Lord Thørn

Alright, I'm getting pretty confused with all the different legion hierarchy nomenclatures, so I've decided to compile them all in a spreadsheet for authors to fill with their legion informations. Will help greatly regarding ranks as well, when writing inter-legion cooperations.

For the Fire Keepers

Tribe is the largest legion organizational unit, variable in size, entire legion comprised of 12 Tribes commanded by

Chief Captains

Host is a sub division of a Tribe, composed of 2 or more companies, commanded by

Great Captain ( Great Captains may be a praetor in the case of larger Hosts or a senior captain in smaller Hosts)

Company are set at 100 marines, always dedicated to specific battlefield role such as 13th Breacher Company or 55th Tactical Company commanded by Captain

Artillery companies are referred to as Wings, such as the 42nd Artillery Wing.

Now, to be fair Skal, I came up with this system before I knew you. But, there are at least three names per rank, to reflect the three main influences on the legion. 

Here's the standard list, which the Munitorium always works with. 

Legate 

Cohort

Brigadier

Brigade*

*Brigades are temporary groupings of several companies for an operation. They disband after victory.

Captain

Company

Sergeant 

Squad

Now, any Warden promoted can assume the typical title or pick a different one to be known by. This is not reflected on the logistical rolls, except perhaps given a minor mention. These are the titles that are most popular. 

Legate/Raj/Chapter Master/Antistrategos

Brigadier

Captain/Lochagos/Subedar

Sergeant/Lochias/Havildar

Whether or not you include this in the spreadsheet, I leave up to you.

Edited by simison

Been daydreaming titles and subtitles for hypothetical BotL novels. So far I have, in no particular order:

-The Agony of Uran - Fear the Old Blood

-Cadian Gate - Skulls for the Skull Throne

-Dragon's Flight - Betrayal strikes the Iron Bears

-The Hunt for Turrus - Into the Maelstrom

Holy crap if we had novels I'd bust all the nuts.

Agreed, that would be amazing!

Come to think of it, I think the artist who did the cover art for the Space Marine Battles books (Legion of the Damned, The Gildar Rift, Sanctus Reach, etc) has an account on DeviantArt, and I think he may do commissions... ;)

EDIT: Ignore me, brainfart.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

What is his name? Thing is a coverart costs about 600 - no end in sight $. So if nobody wins a jackpot, it will be difficult to own a coverart. By the way: we can commission novels too, i ask my chap sanderson^^

For the wardens:

rise of light - the story of gwalchavad the brave^^

Shining in the Darkness - A tale of Gwalchavad and his brother Koschei where they fight an unknown danger that lingers in the darknesa of the galaxy.

A storm is coming - Icarion has a decision to make which will affect the whole Imperium.

And last but not least: The red wave - how to create a look similar to Alexandros ( this is a hit by imperial aristocrazy the follow up: bulking up - how to become a bear of iron)

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

What is his name? Thing is a coverart costs about 600 - no end in sight $. So if nobody wins a jackpot, it will be difficult to own a coverart. By the way: we can commission novels too, i ask my chap sanderson^^

Nevermind, I think I got Jon Sullivan (the artist I mentioned before) mixed up with someone else on DA who does coloured versions of his art, so that's a dead end. However, there is another artist who's worked for GW and additionally frequents this very board on occasion under the username Badaboom, he even has a gallery thread in the Hall of Honour: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/274800-imperial-fists-deathwatch-apothecary-and-other-artwork/ You can see more of his stuff at his DeviantArt page: http://diegogisbertllorens.deviantart.com/

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

"Do you know the difference between horror, and terror? I'm sure you have your interpretation on it, but here's mine. Terror is the anticipation. Horror is the realisation. Terror for some is the essence, authors in particular. It strings along a story nicely. But Horror? Horror is that gut wrenching reveal. The moment that your heart stops. The culmination of terror amounts to one of two things; a petering out, or the soulcrushing nature of that which you've feared coming true. Being scared means you can attempt to overcome that fear. Horror? Do it right, and there's nothing which can overcome that. Being scared travelling over water in case you fall in and drown is nothing to realising that something has a grasp of your leg and is pulling you down. 

You question who, or what I am. I am a Primarch, and my name is Sorrowsworn Morro. It is both my name and title. But my name, does not define me. For what defines me, if you wish to have a neat little soundbite, I am that grasp pulling you down."

I; All Calm Above 

Of Shattered Souls and Broken Minds

The Sixteenth Legion have been shattered, Cataract Hennasohn, disgraced former Lord Commander of the Drowned Legion and his men were brutally beaten by the newly discovered forces of the Mechanicum Abyssii, a lost outpost of the Omnissiah's will. Blooded, and without support from the rest of their legion as a result of their Leader's insubordination against the genesire, they are forced to fall back to the Carcirynx Nebula. Chased by the Taghmata Abyssii all the way to the staging and rearming point here, they embed themselves within Lord Gwalchavad of the Twelfth as his flotilla prepared to enter the "Abyss", lead by the Drowned.

With the aid of the Wardens of Light, directed by the Drowned as they fought against the forces of Archmagos Mortera, the Taghmata is initially stymied, and upon encountering the elemental force of a Primarch's strength, reversed. With the insight of the Prince of Caerbannog, the Archmagos was allowed to stand her forces down. As an uneasy truce settles on the two forces, neither truly able to back down, neither truly able to push the attack, it took Mortera to offer a surrender, fearing that the damage and losses in production and potential research time as a result of the emotional prosecution of a punitive retaliation against the Drowned would remain as a permanent state of damage and political unrest. Accepting the Archmagos' parole, a gathering of forces was summoned, including the Emperor's Equerry, the Alexandros Darshan von Salim, Primarch of the Halcyon Wardens.

Named as Warmaster, it becomes his first major diplomatic role with dealing with foreign powers, and negotiations are fraught, hindered in parts by Sorrowsworn Morro's seeking of restitution in terms of war material, and his antagonistic relationship with the Wolf King, Leman Russ. As resolutions are drawn to a close, insults and slights, both percieved and real between the Wolf King and the Copper Prince finally bubble over into fighting. At a risk of upsetting the Archmagos even further, Warmaster Alexandros pulls the negotiations to a close, and attempts to appease the two duellists.

Thinking that things have calmed down, he turns his back to leave, only for the Sorrowsworn to charge Russ. Physically checked instead by Gwalchavad, and despite trying to grapple with his brother, Morro evades his grasp, and with a hum of actinic energy, Gwalchavad is forced to activate his elbow blades, the photonic edge scything off Morro's arm above the elbow.

As shock and anger set in, Morro was bundled off Carcirynx Station, refusing the medical aid of all those except that of his legion, within a day, his entire legion went with him, as well as the many Janissary Corps and associated military forces, the Drowned operating as a whole for the first time since leaving the Sol System, and never in such numbers.

II; Harbinger

Angelis Obscura

Having fled from the meet, the Drowned cast themselves back underneath the galactic plane, throwing themselves with abandon into a vast effort to rebuild their strength, and increase the experience of all those in the legion. Coming across an Eldar raiding party, Morro recognises the sights of the Haemonculus who he had dealings with back on Styx orders his capture.

Rakarth is able to not only repair the damage done to Morro's arm, grafting him with the subcutaneous Daemon-larvae Lattice, but improve it. Feeding off Morro's repressed emotions, the daemon larvae hatch from their eggs, and burrow outwards, erupting in a vast cloak or cilia, and various other pseudopods, dripping in venoms, toxins and all other

vile excretions hidden within the nematocysts within. The Sorrowsworn, although initially horrified by these "mutations" also rationalises their strength, and he is able to rip apart an Wraithseer protecting a shrine on an exodite world with ease, the wraithbone disintegrating upon contact with the horrific acids. Seeing the strength that was imbued upon him, Morro elected for more fleshcrafting, and many of his closest advisors and allies did so. Within a legion that had gradually grew to despise their lord for the situation that they were in, and his ever more extreme views on it, the legion began to fracture once more, as the different "Psalida" tendril fleets began to break away and consolidate their own positions, to distance themselves from Morro and his xenos pet fleshwarper.

Then, before it became too late, came a distress call from Molech. Displaced by the Great Crusade, a huge Ork Waaagh had descended on the fortress world, and they were gradually being overrun. Assembling what forces were still around, the legion responded to the threat, and despite a grueling campaign to end the threat of the feral greenskins, whose immense squiggoths were of a size yet to be documented, the mission was a victorious one. The final battle is fought within confines of a cave network, known as the Vestibule of the Last Step. There, they awake a colossal beast, who darts around the caverns, slipping in and out of the shadows to murder those of the Imperial Army and the Legion with unsurpassed ease.

It is only when the being is engaged by Morro does the creature stops; recognising the Daemons within the Primarch's skin, and the first seeds of possession, and it halts its rampage. It announces itself as The First Angel, and takes Morro to see the "true" nature of the Emperor and the Imperial "Truth". Proven right in all of his theories, and with the power of the Daemon-larvae Lattice gorging itself on his repressed feelings, the desire to break away from the Imperium becomes an ever more likely target.

This latest development proves to be too much for Hennasohn, and the rest of the legion who hated the effect that Morro had wrought, and the reputation he had brought to them, and they left to make their own mark. The novel ends with contact being made by a Lightning Bearer warship, who had been sent by their Primarch, whose rebellion is coming true. Seeing the chance to make its opportunity known, the First Angel guides Morro into breaking the prison it was kept in, and also advises the Primarch to return to the side of Icarion. 

III; Ferrymen

We do not kill.

**WIP** The assault on Pionus and the Scions Hospitaller, Pionus' escape from Iona, and the return of Hennasohn.

The subtitle is in reference to "what good does killing everyone serve" and Morro responding "We do not kill. We seek only to claim those who are already dead."

How do those names and plots stand?

Ah :cuss. I tried to find a timeline, but nothing really showed up in a cursory search. Might need to have a rethink about that then.

I reckon you could still have Alexandros & Russ present, it would just have to take place way back before Alexandros's ascension. The Drowned could then go off on their angry solo campaign for a few decades (maybe a century?) after Morro loses his arm, refusing to communicate with others and in turn being left alone by their fellows who think it's probably best to let Morro cool off & work out his aggression via rigorous campaigning. In the meantime Magnus loses his :cuss and both he and Leman go kaput, with Morro slowly returning to the greater galactic stage maybe not long before Alex becomes Warmaster or shortly afterwards, later being approached by Icarion's emissaries.

Does the Third Son count as a novel? With some tweaking, I could bring it into BotL-verse with a little effort.

It's worth a go :smile.:

The biggest scene change I can think of is the first meeting between Primarchs. Instead of meeting with Horus and Russ, Alex will be meeting with Icarion. Everything else will require much more minor fixes.