32mm bases in Horus Heresy

Shogunate

Hey folks,

What are people's thoughts as to using 32mm bases for power armoured Heresy troops? 

I've started a Death Guard army and while I'd really appreciate the extra room 32mm provides, both in terms of the basing opportunities and overall visual appropriateness, I won't upgrade from the 25mm they come with if it means I'll meet resistance from other players who object to how it alters gameplay. I'm also concerned that a 20 man tactical squad would be a lot less manoeuvrable on 32mm bases.

Have any tournaments ruled on this? 

The GW switch to 32mm is purely aesthetic and should be treated as such. No tournament scene (ITC) that I follow along with have ruled anything about base sizes so long as its not Blatant Modelling for Advantage.

...Also, this is 30k. Tournaments aren't the primary focus for the Setting either way.

There aren't "real" rules for bases anymore ;) use whatever you like is GW's new way :P 

That said, 32mm bases are far more awesome than 25mm for Marines imo, and FW uses 32mm for their newer ones^^

32mm all the way. Marines look better on them and there's more space for some nice basing. Besides, as people have already said there isn't really a 'tournament' scene for 30k (that may change), so there really shouldn't be any issues.

The GW switch to 32mm is purely aesthetic and should be treated as such. No tournament scene (ITC) that I follow along with have ruled anything about base sizes so long as its not Blatant Modelling for Advantage.

...Also, this is 30k. Tournaments aren't the primary focus for the Setting either way.

Fair enough. I've never played in a tournament in my life and likely never will, but I'd take any particular tournament rulings as good indications of what could be considered fair. I only ask because if anyone in my gaming group kicks up a fuss, I'd like to be able to point to actual competitive settings as evidence of recommended practice. But if there's not a general competitive consensus on base sizes, I guess I'll go with 32mm! Thanks.

There aren't "real" rules for bases anymore msn-wink.gif use whatever you like is GW's new way tongue.png

That said, 32mm bases are far more awesome than 25mm for Marines imo, and FW uses 32mm for their newer ones^^

Oh wow, Lady Atia responded to my post! Big fan of your intelligence gathering.

I take GW's own attitude towards what makes for balanced gameplay with a mountain of salt these days - I'd much rather put it to the community! Which kind of goes back to what I said about looking for tournament rulings.

FW uses them for their new models though? If that's true then I'm even more inclined to go with 32mm, because as you pointed out they're far more suited for marines.

But does anyone have any experience personally playing with or against 32mm marine armies? Or personal opinions as to how it affects balance?

Its barely a factor. I havent notice it affect gameplay in any way.

And before anyone pulls Template shenanigans on you, if you were prepared for them, the outcome would have been the same: the unit would be spread out and barely hit anything. If youre not prepared for them and clumped up, the result is also the same.

They have both benefits and drawbacks in that templates are less effective on them, but on the other hand they take up more space in ruins and can contribute less attacks in CC. 
Overall I see no issues with them and I doubt other HH players would either. 

The plastic kits will most certainly have 32mm bases...

The only thing I'm unhappy about it having to switch over my existing forces...

i think i saw some third party donut-like base-enhancers (not sure what's the right word for it haha) in the news and rumours section :/ maybe that helps? 

The plastic kits will most certainly have 32mm bases...

The only thing I'm unhappy about it having to switch over my existing forces...

i think i saw some third party donut-like base-enhancers (not sure what's the right word for it haha) in the news and rumours section :/ maybe that helps?

Yeah, I've seen those too but it's not quite the same so I'll probably end up painstakingly re-basing my Heresy forces :-(

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g449/ben_fabz/Mobile%20Uploads/AB6F8335-DA4A-4DAF-B20B-BCA86C1FBFF7.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g449/ben_fabz/Mobile%20Uploads/53BDA3A8-FEC9-436F-84B8-77D209499D40.jpg

I'm just re basing mine, they spread out more on the board, and look a hell of a lot better than before, here's a pic of 25mm, and 32mm bases

Archived