Pre heresy Robes?

Biggysmalls

Hello everyone

Just a quick question about robes? I'm building a Fallen in termy armour model using the forgeworld termies my question is to robe or not to robe?

The fluff I've read says the robes are an inner circle thing was this the case back in the heresy days? I've not been able to find any pics of robed angels from this period. But my Google fu may have failed me.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Acording to the novel Descent of Angels, the robes were a Order thing, adopted by the First Legion after the arrival of the Emperor at Caliban. So i would say robes would be viable, but unlikely to be used by everyone. Just keep it a unit leader / character thing.

His background fluff wise is he was a dark angel captain now turned Chaos Lord. Visually I want him to have a nod towards his dark angel roots.

Might give a robe with green stuff a go and see how I get on as I've never worked with it before.

• 2 weeks later...

~sigh~ Random novelists who don't "get" the fluff have created the belief that robes are somehow an elite thing. You have no idea how many of my opponents have flipped out because I was using robed marines, "clearly veteran squads by WYSIWYG" as tactical squads. For the love of Him-on-the-Golden-Commode Throne, robes are NOT a "deathwing in power armor" thing!!!! They are a Dark Angels thing, with there being some fluff for specific color differences (which I apply to the insides of the robes, the outsides are all the same color: bone!) indicating corresponding cliques orders within the legion. Any given squad could have 0-10 models in robes, although I've found it convenient to go with either only the sergeant of a squad in a robe, or everyone but the sergeant in a robe, in order to set the sergeant apart visually.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, sure, go ahead and robe your heretic captain...when the First Legion catches up to him, they'll bury him in it...after he repents. msn-wink.gif

(unless they feed it to him along the way)

March I believe back in 2nd edition fluff maybe even into third it was a belief most shared that while not in DW armor a member of the order signified his membership in it by wearing the robes. Somewhere along the way...I think it was around the time they started making the regular robed models (the three metal guys) that things changed. Strange how that works.

I started playing right at the beginning of 3rd.  We had crux terminatus shoulder pads available for power armor then, and if it was canon for robes to signify 1st company membership in 2nd (it certainly wasn't in 3rd), then I'm sure someone would have said something when I fielded two of my three tactical squads in robes right after the transition to third (which still used the 2nd edition codex, no?)  In fact, the opposite is true...it wasn't until we got company veterans as a unit that people started talking about robes being anything more than just man-dresses.

Ok opened a can of worms here. But seems robe or no robe both is correct. Still haven't attemped modelling a robe with GS yet as haven't been brave enough. Thanks for all the help though.

Archived