Scouts loadout

Biggysmalls

So I've just managed to find my old carry case from about 10 years ago.To my surprise I had a few random 2nd edition space marines, a bike, some Orks and to my delight a full squad of old metal scouts with 2 shotgun scouts in there as well.

They are the scouts with bolt pistol and CCW. Is this still a useable loadout for scout these days. Most battle reports of seen have snipers or bolters. I play an Angels of vengeance list so no land speeder storm options either

Does anyone run scouts like this and had any tips on best uses.

the bp + chainswords loadout is an odd one for our army its not the worst (that goes to shotgun because we dont get the lss) but it could certainly be better. the pistol + chainsword is really only good if yo want them to leap from some bushes and cc someone or you intend to feed them to the enemy, or you can reliably get them into cc as then their the equivalent to assault marines without jump packs.

bolters are my go to option since snipers cant rend anymore unless your playing cities of death. and its beacsue it makes them a good flanking unit and the HB works well for them in this role from time to time. i also love my heavy bolter scout so i need something to work with him so :P

snipers are only good if you want the missle launcher their useless for anything else now

I'm a noob when it comes to playing but my plan for them at the minute is to infiltrate them and use them to take midfield objectives. Hopefully the lack of "threat" might help them fly under the radar a bit.

That's the plan anyway. But as Patton said " “No Battle Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy”

I'm a noob when it comes to playing but my plan for them at the minute is to infiltrate them and use them to take midfield objectives. Hopefully the lack of "threat" might help them fly under the radar a bit.

That's the plan anyway. But as Patton said " “No Battle Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy”

Are you sure your a noob? That's a pretty solid tactic, don't sell yourself too short msn-wink.gif. I played against a Eldar/Knight army and a lone scout dance around a drop pod to hide and eventually score me line-breaker. His army just wasn't efficient enough to kill it and handle the rest of the threats in my army. I have more tales of scout heroism, but to keep it short, scouts do work. I personally run mine with bolters but I've been wanting to try bolt pistol/CC just to see if I can make it work.

I'm a noob to both 7th ed and DA. I used to play 2nd/3rd ed over a decade ago and then it was blood Angels chopping spree tactics for me.

I'm personally loving the shootiness of DA it's a nice change of pace and my Demi company is brutal in over watch

Are you sure your a noob? That's a pretty solid tactic, don't sell yourself too short msn-wink.gif. I played against a Eldar/Knight army and a lone scout dance around a drop pod to hide and eventually score me line-breaker. His army just wasn't efficient enough to kill it and handle the rest of the threats in my army. I have more tales of scout heroism, but to keep it short, scouts do work. I personally run mine with bolters but I've been wanting to try bolt pistol/CC just to see if I can make it work.

and then you play a guardsmen army with the steel host and wind up starring down the barrel of 6 leman russ tanks

To be fair I'd like to think those 6 battle cannons would be busy turning power armoured marines into pink mist. Against a force like that most of you units are going to have a rough time in the shooting phase no matter how they are armed.

Scouts are great, whatever flavour you may have. Remember, just like ice cream, some things change month-to-month. Now that Scouts got their "boost", so to speak, I can see a lot more people taking them in lists. Me? I've been liking Scout since before they got cool msn-wink.gif.

As has been said before, your tactic for the CCW and Bolt Pistol (with two shotguns, no doubt) variety is sound. They're the mid-field stealers and who is going to pay them mind? When you've got Assault Squads jumping about, Devastators cracking tanks, and Drop Pods full of Emperor-knows-what raining from the heavens, the last thing your opponent is going to do is waste time shooting a Main Battle Tank at your Carapace Armoured troops.

Have you thought about getting a new box of Scouts with Sniper Rifles? If anything, you'll open up new fire lanes on the field and provide great covering fire for little expense. They should be able to cover your mid-fielders pretty well if the going gets rough. They may not have Rending anymore but they still can punch holes through non-vehicle units just as well.

The sniper scouts have always been on my shopping list but these were just a lucky find from my old collection that I thought I had lost.

The snipers would make a handy second unit in themselves and the options of mixing up my current loadout with the rifles or missile launcher. I don't think a 10 man mix and match squad would be something I'll dabble with however.

I like the snipers...I wouldn't spam six ten man squads of them, but if I'm paying the 55 point tax to turn a demi company into a lion's blade, I'm happy to pay 15 points more for rifles and cloaks.  I'm swimming in boltguns, I don't need five more of those, even if they are slightly cheaper.  On the other hand, five sniper rifles is "enough" if there's a reasonable target for them (situational), and since it's only 15 points (including the cloaks), it's not a terrible waste of points no matter what.

I often field 5-men scouts with CC/bolt pistol. Partly because I have the same old models als you, but also because they are pretty effective that way.

Low cost, scoring, great USRs for objective-based play and plenty resilient vs shooting if placed well in cover. The extra attack is actually useful, since it means the enemy will need to send a halfway-decent unit to wipe them out. They are still I4/WS4/T4/S4 after all.

Cheap and effective, whay more could you ask for really?

I'm partial to 5 scouts with 4 snipers and 1 hellfire heavy bolter. Infiltrate and scout usually gets them into a good position, and they are decent fire support, especially for something that can hold a mid-backfield objective with great cover saves

the bp + chainswords loadout is an odd one for our army its not the worst (that goes to shotgun because we dont get the lss) but it could certainly be better. the pistol + chainsword is really only good if yo want them to leap from some bushes and cc someone or you intend to feed them to the enemy, or you can reliably get them into cc as then their the equivalent to assault marines without jump packs.

bolters are my go to option since snipers cant rend anymore unless your playing cities of death. and its beacsue it makes them a good flanking unit and the HB works well for them in this role from time to time. i also love my heavy bolter scout so i need something to work with him so :P

snipers are only good if you want the missle launcher their useless for anything else now

Sniper don't rend but they are still AP2 when you roll a "6" to wound. They did lose their Pinning ability from 6th to 7th though unless you play Cities of Death. Sniper Rifles aren't as bad as you make them sound.

So have them a run out today and I was impressed. Had a unit of 6 of them. 4x bp and CCW and 2x shotguns. With scout and infiltrate got them onto a midfield obj in ruins.

Opponent was using my chaos army. Was worried to start with as he attemped to charge them with berserkers in turn 2, but failed the charge leaving them in a bad spot. My devs and a tac squad dealt with the zerkers.

Later in turn 4 they were charged by a unit of cultists my overwatch was brutal leaving them with only 6 charging in. I won combat killing 4 and them killing 2 and managed to over run them.

Over all they held up well. They didn't contribute much in firepower but with 3 tac squads, plasma cannon devs, company vets and a predator on the board I wasn't short on firepower. They did their job and sat on the objective till the end. I'm happy with that.

Archived