Techmarine

mika_angelus

So what do you guys think about the new incarnation of the techmarine?

He is much better then he used to be, and I was thinking lately about possible uses for him.

What a RWCS needs is a front 2+ save character and despite my prayers, our company master still can't have a bike. So maybe a techmarine?

I was thinking about a tooled  tech for my RWCS.

Techmarine + Bike is the cheapest option, 2 wounds with a 2+ save + fnp from the squad for 85 points is not bad and he does have some bite in CC.

Now the cheapest upgrade I'm thinking of is to exchange his power axe for a lighting claw which would give him some nice attacks at ini 4 and an extra attack from his servo arm if you need something to hit harder. If you also add a conversion field you got a quite well rounded support character for 120 points. I tend to compare him to a tooled SM chapter master which of course is much stronger, but for his points you can get 2 techmarines (or even 3 if you get the cheapest version).

Thats the same number of wound with a worse inv save, but with a few more attacks. Not the same by a long shot but it's kinda all we got :)

You can of course, for 10 points more, just take a full harnes.

Discus :)

I'd either leave him as is or take the full harness.  2 powerfists, a flamer, and a Plasma Pistol for 25 points is a decent deal.  An RWCS is going to have plenty of attacks at initiative.  He gets to fire two weapons in the shooting phase as long as one of them is from the harness, iirc.  What he doesn't do that other HQs can do is buff the unit.  Libbys and Interrogator Chaplains bring more to the Unit as a whole.

drop pod veterans with flamers and or plasma weapons, load him in and you get 2 wounds with a 2+ save that can upgrade to add himself a 4+ invul. in the refractor field. the unit then gets an extra flamer and or plasma pistol for basically free as well as two powerfists.

give them a deathwind launcher and use him to repair it should it take damage and you have a powerful gun platform with a 36" threat bubble

you can also do this with the hammer of caliban formation for impressive synergy granting their land raider bs5 as well as granting them assault vehicle without consuming a precious heavy slot in your CAD.

this however only refects even more on why forgeworld tanks not being allowed in this formation sucks even harder because the deimos predators paired with a land raider prometheus would make for an incredibly killy unit at 36-24" im talking galactus grade killy thats the sort of stuff that levels whole armies.

12 tl HB, a heavy9 blast s7 ap2 is your long range kick which by itself is more than ample to crush basically everything conventional at that range with the infantry tag and then you have 11 guys inside loaded for bare with say 16 powerfists, a plasma pistol, 9 bolt pistols, and a flamer between them all for the modest price of 947 and the funny part is that you can take two of these at 2500p and still have 606 left over for the rest of the CAD you would need to make it legal. and thats an incredible amount of anti infantry that would steamroll basically every teq or meq alive

So what do you guys think about the new incarnation of the techmarine?

He is much better then he used to be, and I was thinking lately about possible uses for him.

What a RWCS needs is a front 2+ save character and despite my prayers, our company master still can't have a bike. So maybe a techmarine?

I was thinking about a tooled tech for my RWCS.

Techmarine + Bike is the cheapest option, 2 wounds with a 2+ save + fnp from the squad for 85 points is not bad and he does have some bite in CC.

Now the cheapest upgrade I'm thinking of is to exchange his power axe for a lighting claw which would give him some nice attacks at ini 4 and an extra attack from his servo arm if you need something to hit harder. If you also add a conversion field you got a quite well rounded support character for 120 points. I tend to compare him to a tooled SM chapter master which of course is much stronger, but for his points you can get 2 techmarines (or even 3 if you get the cheapest version).

Thats the same number of wound with a worse inv save, but with a few more attacks. Not the same by a long shot but it's kinda all we got smile.png

You can of course, for 10 points more, just take a full harnes.

Discus smile.png

I like this idea. If I didn't already have a converted SM CM for tanking I would make one of these guys (I may do it eventually anyways). I've found the lack of 2+ save to be a problem against straight shot weapons that ignore cover (like necron tomb blades or serpent shields).

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that  the cheapest option will the best. If you think about he is no more expensive then 2 terminators, and he is fast plus he got T5 and can go with bikes.

The more I think about this, the more I like the idea of a cheap tanker for ignore cover wounds.

Anyway here is my kit bash of a Techmarine on bike :

http://i61.tinypic.com/fo1ue0.jpg

Now show me yours!!! :)

Archived