Seeds Of Fear

SnakeChisler

How are people treating Deny for seeds of fear?

The power works by having people run away during shooting or Assault the thing that's come up is Ezekiel has been out of 9" range when its cast so no obvious target but turbo'ed (run + Sams Warlord trait of +3) into a crowded area.

If someone has bonuses to dis cast surely they would only come into play if they were within the 9" when it went off otherwise there looking at 6's?

Or is my logic flawed ?

Only Maledictions and Witchfires target enemies. Only then would they get a denial bonus. If I recall correctly, seeds of fear is not one of those two types, and therefore no one gets bonuses to deny it.

Seeds of Fear is a malediction, it only effects those who are within range at the time it is cast, and denial bonuses from those targets apply if they have them (well one unit's bonuses apply). Importantly, even if you then move out of range, they are still affected until the next psychic phase.

Also, it is really hard to understand what you have written. If you get the chance please add in some punctuation and more lines to make it easier to understand.

EDIT: Oops totally remembered things wrong, fixed now.

Yeah I don't get what you are trying to say after your initial question.  Seed of Fear is a Malediction, so it can be cast if locked in combat and can target units in combat so long as they are within the cast range.  If there's an enemy psyker/more mastery levels they'll get the bonus.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about the "shooting running away" portion I don't see how that fits into the power at all.

If you're outside of 9" when it's time to cast the malediction, then you can't cast it...it's as simple as that!

OK I'm confused here

Seeds of Fear doesn't cause Fear, Pinning or Morale Checks it just causes them to be rolled on 3d6 if your within 9" of the Psyker, with shooting run, assault, fall back & regroup you don't have a static 9" bubble. 

Seeds of fear is a malediction targeting all units within 9".
Those units are under its effects until the next turn.
The positions of all units only matters at the moment Seeds of Fear is cast.

in other words:

1. Check to see if there is at least one enemy unit within 9" of the user.

2. Roll to see if you successfully manifest Seeds of Fear. If successful, go to 3.

3. A single enemy unit affected by Seeds of Fear (any enemy unit within 9") may attempt to deny using any bonuses that unit would get. If they fail to deny go to 4.

4. All enemy units currently within 9" of the user are affected by Seeds of Fear until your next psychic phase. (This has nothing to do with what happens after the ability is used, who is affected has already been determined and will not change.)

The positions of all units only matters at the moment Seeds of Fear is cast.

This.  It's not a persistent bubble that potentially affected units move in and out of, if they're within 9" at the moment of casting, they are affected, if not, they aren't.

If you're outside of 9" when it's time to cast the malediction, then you can't cast it...it's as simple as that!

Well, you may be able to cast it (I would have to look at some exact wordings) but it wouldn't do anything.

I dunno...if there are no valid targets within 9", setting aside the wisdom of doing so, can you still cast it?

-snip-

Well, you may be able to cast it (I would have to look at some exact wordings) but it wouldn't do anything.

I dunno...if there are no valid targets within 9", setting aside the wisdom of doing so, can you still cast it?

I would have to check the rules for maledictions, it might matter if you got certain objectives.

Btw, if it instead was a blessing targeting the psyker, it would be a bubble that moves with the psyker and no denial bonuses would affect it. However, it is not, so instead it works like the malediction it is (and therefore basically completely differently).

I think you're confusing psyker powers.  I think you might be combining Dominate from the Telepathy tree and Seeds of Fear into one ability.  Running/Shooting/Assault doesn't trigger a Morale Check/Fear/Pinning test.

If you're saying that if the targets charge or run into 9" when they started outside of 9" then they wouldn't be affected either.  It's not a bubbe like say Telekine Dome or Shrouding.  Those are abilities that are blessings and cast directly on the Psyker and creating a constant 12" bubble.  Seed of Fear has to hit a unit at the time of its casting.

Archived