Outfitting Land Speeders

Ovidius Incertus

So how do you all outfit your Land Speeders?  I currently have one, but will add a full squadron of 3 eventually.  I've got the chin mounted assault cannon and heavy flamer magnetized and I'm trying to figure out a way to get a melta option down there and figure out how to magnetize the co-pilot weapon.

Although magnets give flexibility, how do you run them?  Anti armor?  Anti infantry with flamers or assault cannons?  Or Typhoon?

There's arguments for all the different weapon options, it depends what your last lacks and what is in your local meta.

I'm a big fan of twin heavy bolters though. Just pump out shots from a safe distance and force saves or kill Hordes.

Multi-meltas are usually better on Attack Bikes, in my experience.  I'd agree that Typhoons are the hot ticket for pure mobile fire support, though they will attract a lot of attention after your first few games with them!

Mine are Multi-Melta/Heavy Flamer.

The only times I have used mine has been to DS almost exactly where I want it with Dante's WL Trait to get Multi-Melta hit or a Template just where I want it.

Much debated but that much speedy versatility for the price of a barebones Tactical squad has been fun for me. If you dont expect miracles you will never be disappointed.

I've been considering revamping my two speeders as well. It's interesting to think about having extremely mobile 4x heavy bolters as it is only 10 points more than a dev squad in an almost useless fast attack section. I consider them a bit too fragile for close in work but they are fast so you have that going for them.

I usually see multi-meltas on the guys out in the wild since they are fast. But since massed bolter shots can strip enough hull points to take them out, I don't know if this is truly a good use for them anymore.

Heavy Bolters and/or Typhoons seem to be the best for sure. They really do work on all but the heaviest units from a safe distance. At that range only autocannons and ML etc will be a threat, but if they are shooting at your speeders they're doing it wrong... And you win!

The multi Melta and heavy flamer is a strange beast, but one I think could fill a very specific use, killing orcs, Deldar and Harlequins.

You get close, Fire the HF into the paper transport doing hits to the occupants and the transport and then blow it up with the Melta and watch the rest die in the explosion!

2 Typhoons have never disappointed.  They hover along my back table edge and pop transports or pump out 4 Frag templates.  You'd be surprised on how much damage 4 Frag templates can do. 

I always wanted to try out the typhoon missile launcher on my stormraven but didn't ever want to sacrifice the free twin linked multi-melta for it. 2 Typhoon speeders sounds like a lot of fun tho

• 1 month later...

I've wanted to try out 2-3 Land Speeder Typhoons for awhile now actually. My painting backlog is just so big right now though that it would feel wrong (and be distracting) to buy and build new stuff when I got mans sitting unpainted.

But I have been batting around ideas concerning appropriate fire support units for the fast advance unique to Blood Angels units, and I think Typhoons fit that role well.

I'm a fan of the missiles and bolter to stay back, while you can suicide speeders (and should sometimes) still best to stay out of range of return fire and not be forced to jink.

On the flipside though, I'd they are dedicating fire to your speeders then they're probably doing something wrong...

As for the Raven, a free multi-melta with guaranteed Melta range from zooming is a wonderful thing. Especially with the machine spirit.

You have two roles for your speeders, suicide or fire support.

If you go suicide then you're going to target a specific enemy unit and take it out knowing your speeder(s) will most likely be sacrificed in that action. Meltas are usually popular for this role, or heavy flamers, etc.

If you go fire support then you're speeders are going to sit much further back and use weapon systems such as the heavy bolter and typhoon missile pods to provide support for your forward units for as long as possible during the match.

I use my three speeder squad in the latter role giving fire support for my tactical and sternguard units that comprise my drop pod alpha strike. For the last three games each of my opponents ignored my speeders and instead focused on whittling down my alpha strike much to their dismay. My land speeders with their typhoons and heavy bolters wrecked stuff each round.

They can be used for either role and they both do well at either, but from my experience they mix better with my army in the fire support role. Love it.

You have two roles for your speeders, suicide or fire support.

If you go suicide then you're going to target a specific enemy unit and take it out knowing your speeder(s) will most likely be sacrificed in that action. Meltas are usually popular for this role, or heavy flamers, etc.

If you go fire support then you're speeders are going to sit much further back and use weapon systems such as the heavy bolter and typhoon missile pods to provide support for your forward units for as long as possible during the match.

I use my three speeder squad in the latter role giving fire support for my tactical and sternguard units that comprise my drop pod alpha strike. For the last three games each of my opponents ignored my speeders and instead focused on whittling down my alpha strike much to their dismay. My land speeders with their typhoons and heavy bolters wrecked stuff each round.

They can be used for either role and they both do well at either, but from my experience they mix better with my army in the fire support role. Love it.

This is exactly what I thought speeders would excel at. Glad to hear I wasn't wrong :D

Honestly I've never used Speeders, mainly because I don't own any but they do intrigue me.

From the arm chair general perspective the Typhoon seems the best option. Good range. Decent firepower and as Charlo as eluded to because they're so fragile your opponent will probably commit more than required to take it down. Which the rest of your army will probably thank you for. Also as mwmentioned they do fit the BA theme rather well whilst offering some long range support.

I'd consider the dual MM/ Dual HF if running Dante as my warlord but otherwise they seem like an unimpressive throw away unit. MM bikes are, IMO the best MM delivery syster, we have bucket loads of flamer weapons and anti infantry so the other variants seem obsolete in the context of our book.

D

I'd consider the dual MM/ Dual HF if running Dante as my warlord but otherwise they seem like an unimpressive throw away unit. MM bikes are, IMO the best MM delivery syster, we have bucket loads of flamer weapons and anti infantry so the other variants seem obsolete in the context of our book.

Oh that's a good idea. Descent of Angels makes DSing speeders with MM and/or HF waaay more of a threat. They are probably the best way for us to get HF and MM in the back lines considering our other DSing options.

I can sort-of live with the difference in price between BA and Vanilla Land Speeders (1 melta bomb), because we have Decent of Angels.

Though DoA cannot be guaranteed without the Dante tax...and SM get their chapter chapter tactics for free, so why should our units be priced differently based on a random variable?

D

1 HB per speeder. That's all I have painted and it's cheap enough to be annoying while looking good. My favorite setup (used in BT) is MM/HF. Deadly at any job and even a little paper plane warrants attention when armed like this.

Archived