My Dark Angels force - Work in Progress

Attias

hi guys,

Just a quick note to share a couple of "Work-In-Progress" snapshots of what I have so far in my Dark Angels force.  I have been focusing on getting my Greenwing up and running first since I'm new and they are a bit more forgiving of errors.  I also had a lot of assistance from a friend at my local club who helped me with getting some basic basing done and the more complex stuff like banners, etc.  My big thing that I'm learning to use now is working with washes for shading areas - some of my guys in the pics are a bit darker than others.  I'm also going through them to correct areas I missed (for example I have to touch up the eye areas on some of them like in the Devastator photo).  Anyway, it's coming along slowly but surely.  I would value any feedback or pointers you guys could offer.  Thanks and enjoy !

PS - Thanks to Epher for helping me figure out how to post pictures here !

Azrael And The 5th company Dark Angels   WIP

Devastators WIP

They are looking pretty good! Great work on the HQs. It looks like you put in a lot work into them. Glad to be of help with the pictures.

Progress for the First Legion!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. 

Well, I've been up to my eyebrows with work and exams lately, so while the painting has ground to a near halt, I have not been entirely idle either.  I've been working at getting some stuff built with the hopes of setting some time aside this month (or next) to basecoat/prime everything in one go.  It's a long winter ahead and I want to be ready !

I have been dabbling for the first time with magnets, conversions and the like (with varying degrees of success), but I've learned much along the way too so that's good (even despite my failures).  Anyway, please feel free to check out my pics if you like in the gallery; I'd value any feedback I can get.  thanks !

Great conversions!  I especially like the chaplain with the power fist.  Now, would the bike require upgraded handle bars or is the tech marine there to repair on march?  That is also a fine looking bunch of Dreadnoughts.  I was planning on making a slew of Mortis patterns but with the new rules and 4 attacks I had to make my mortis dread an arm with a power fist and heavy flamer. 

Keep up the great work!  Looking forward to seeing some paint on the new models!

Attias:

Not only is that a great looking force, but I really like some of the work you've got slated for winter, especially the bike mounted chaplain and tech marine. I'm looking forward to seeing your force continue to grow, along with your already solid hobby techniques; the commentary in your gallery is a nice touch as well.

Thanks for sharing.

FC

Thanks so much for the kind and encouraging words guys, i appreciate it. 

Dillithium, to answer your painting question, the green was done with Army painter "Angel green" for primer and then highlighted with GW "Snot Green/Warpstone Glow".  They were next washed with "Coelia Greenshade" and then darkened around the lower areas with  a mix of Caliban Green and Abbadon Black.  The higher areas were rehighlighted with "Warpstone green" again that was then blended up to "Scorpion/Moot Green".  This was a painting plan used by a fellow in my local club whop was incredibly helpful with helping me get going with this army and most of my tacs and heroes are done this way.  It's lighter than usual, but he made the case that sometimes, DAs tend to end up looking almost black on the table if their green is too dark.  While he has a point; I still found the green a bit bright - a bit too Salamanders - so when I got to my devastators, I washed them all down again with Nuln oil.  It's significantly darker; but that's my preference I guess; I like my DA green to be very bruised-looking and I rely on the white of their heraldry and to an extent - their red to offer contrast.  (Although I do like my reds dark and gritty too). 

As for the Dreadnought, yes, I certainly do love them as a concept so I was pleased to see that we can squad them now.  Forgeworld stuff is overpriced and a pain to work with (I have found that I dislike working with resin), but I'm a sucker for their custom accessories.  As for devastators - yes, I do like them as well - especially running them up to 10-mans.  I just think they look cool and since marines are generally a low-model count army anyway, I simply feel better about having as many miniatures on the table as I can.  That's not to say I don't like tanks or artillery; quite the contrary; but there's something about having a lot of individual little guys on the table with gigantic guns for low point costs that I find reassuring ; )

Thanks again everyone for your support.

Thanks so much for the kind and encouraging words guys, i appreciate it. 

Dillithium, to answer your painting question, the green was done with Army painter "Angel green" for primer and then highlighted with GW "Snot Green/Warpstone Glow".  They were next washed with "Coelia Greenshade" and then darkened around the lower areas with  a mix of Caliban Green and Abbadon Black.  The higher areas were rehighlighted with "Warpstone green" again that was then blended up to "Scorpion/Moot Green".  This was a painting plan used by a fellow in my local club whop was incredibly helpful with helping me get going with this army and most of my tacs and heroes are done this way.  It's lighter than usual, but he made the case that sometimes, DAs tend to end up looking almost black on the table if their green is too dark.  While he has a point; I still found the green a bit bright - a bit too Salamanders - so when I got to my devastators, I washed them all down again with Nuln oil.  It's significantly darker; but that's my preference I guess; I like my DA green to be very bruised-looking and I rely on the white of their heraldry and to an extent - their red to offer contrast.  (Although I do like my reds dark and gritty too). 

As for the Dreadnought, yes, I certainly do love them as a concept so I was pleased to see that we can squad them now.  Forgeworld stuff is overpriced and a pain to work with (I have found that I dislike working with resin), but I'm a sucker for their custom accessories.  As for devastators - yes, I do like them as well - especially running them up to 10-mans.  I just think they look cool and since marines are generally a low-model count army anyway, I simply feel better about having as many miniatures on the table as I can.  That's not to say I don't like tanks or artillery; quite the contrary; but there's something about having a lot of individual little guys on the table with gigantic guns for low point costs that I find reassuring ;

I would have to agree with you, dark and gritty looking troops are the way to go.  Despite the military myths, shiny boots do not help you help in the trenches or on the front line. Plus, dark Dark Angels tie in a little better with their black Ravenwing Brethren.  Also, the more models on the table, the better.  More chances of capturing objectives and divides the firepower of your opponent over more units.  Forward units can also act as a screen for the guys behind them.  There is nothing like jinking speeders blocking incoming LOS on your devastators.

Archived