Deathguard project 30k (new to the forums)

Valdred

Greetings,

Figured I could share my current project with you all. I'm hoping to have these done in a month or so. Progress depends on the nocturnal status of my 7 month old though tongue.png

I picked the models up on ebay, figuring I could just add white (they were a tan color) but I decided it would create too much fidelity loss (plus some remodeling was in order). So... I just sprayed em down with white some white and started over.

I did a test pilot earlier this year on tjem, and went with the scheme as shown below (the completed guys). I opted to freehand the squad/legion markings because I thought it looked a bit more charming.

Getting started:

First, some coffee....

gallery_87590_11239_101059.jpg

What lies before me....

gallery_87590_11239_72899.jpg

The completed guys (Test Scheme):

gallery_87590_11239_1832.jpg

WIP now:

gallery_87590_11239_62399.jpg

Updates to follow

Here's the second test mini (the scheme I went with minus the metal color face grill being the standard uniform). These were done earlier in the year.

http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/uploads/gallery/album_172/gallery_3574_172_331416.jpg

Then me deciding whether or not to weather :p (photo is a bit bright)

http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/uploads/gallery/album_172/gallery_3574_172_1459859.jpg

Great start brother and welcome to the forums, us 30k folk are always welcoming any questions or comments are always welcome in the age of darkness forum.

Great to see another XIVth legionary

smile.png Thanks, and I appreciate the other welcoming comments too.

I am fairly attached to the deathguard atm but I'll most likely sell these on ebay when I'm done. I've got a very large 30k Iron hands heresy army that is currently my munition go-to models.

I was posting this log on http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com but they look to be a bit inactive now compared to this forum. I want to hear a bit more feedback msn-wink.gif

Welcome to the forum. Excellent start !

I find the weathered Mk II better than the one on the right. It's not too much weathered like we can sometimes on DG marines, but enough to be "realistic" (I hate that word^^).

They're looking really good. Looks like you've found a method that's both pretty fast and gets decent results.

I prefer marines a bit cleaner (like these). I think too many people overdo the weathering, especially as marines are supposed to clean and repair their armour.

I knocked out a lot of the shading. Next will be the metalics and greens (then blending). Naturally I keep forgetting to bring my metalics to work, so I'll be needin to grab them on my lunch break.

I decided to just go ahead and airbrush the Loken model and standard bearer.

I'll probably look at doing the tank once I've got these fellows mostly done.

Pics incoming. For some reason my browser only likes to paste the link than the image.

I've also made the realization that its easy to miss modeling issues (like flashing) on 'used' models. I have a few areas on my dreads in particular that need a little knife work.

Playing around with blending on the praetor and did a bit more literal shading with this contemptor:

gallery_87590_11239_79433.jpg

gallery_87590_11239_291905.jpg

They're looking really good. Looks like you've found a method that's both pretty fast and gets decent results.

I prefer marines a bit cleaner (like these). I think too many people overdo the weathering, especially as marines are supposed to clean and repair their armour.

Thanks smile.png As far as it being fast, well, its a lot slower than I care to admit. The time spent policing the wash has been new (like what I did on the contemptor), just a tad time consuming - since I'm only after hitting nooks, crannies and undersides. I have yet to start the blending between the shaded and light areas - to add a pleasant gradation. I didn't even do that with my test scheme so much, but I also didn't have to worry about a more porous spray that would soak the wash - thus creating even more a pronounced delineation in the shade gradation.The first batch had a less porous surface (because it was done via airbrush), so the wash had more of a tendency to go back into the crevices.

I guess the next time I have this happen, I'll be hitting em with a gloss varnish (with a matte finish after painting).

Yea, when I was looking around on the interwebs to get some ideas in regards to schemes, I noticed that some people's weathering approach was too much for me. I want to maintain that wargaming look (adequate/exaggerated colors) with some of the gritty, muted modeler goodness (light, 'consistently random' sponging).

these look lovely. whats the Armour recipe?

Essentially sprayed white (I recommend non primer for final coat), agrax earth shade diluted with lahmian medium (50/50 methinks would be fine). Only hit the cracks. Afterward blend/square off excess shadow. Paint details in between these steps. Sponge on weathering somewhere in there too - a very light load - chaos black.

Since this already has shades of brown all over, I would refrain from any sort of brown weathering, as I think it would be too redundant.

Hope this helps ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived