Corbulo Far-Seeing Eye question.

ÆtherOwl

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't the time to reply in depth to the above yet but if you read Captain Karlaen's Warlord Trait (Strategic Genius), one of the things it allows is +1 to any Seize the Initiative roll. The key word here is any as surely this is precedence to modify your opponent's Seize roll?

The inclusion of the word 'any' does seem intentional, but why would you want to +1 your opponent's seize roll? I mean, I'm sure there are scenarios where you might want your opponent to go first, but if they saw no advantage in doing so themselves wouldn't they just, not roll..?

Additionally, i'm not touching your dice.  You're the one re-rolling it.  Corbs' ability just allows me to get you to do that. 

Nope. "may be used to […] re-roll" can only mean the owning player is the one doing the rolling. You're the one using, so you must be the one rolling. There's nothing in there about forcing anyone else to do anything.

And the definition of a re-roll is:

In some situations, the rules allow you to re-roll a dice. This is exactly what it sounds like – pick up the dice you wish to re-roll, and roll it again.

Which means a re-roll has to be the same dice, and you're rolling it "again". If you didn't roll it in the first place, you cannot possibly be rolling it again.

That may be semantic quibbling, but it's rock :cussing solid compared to what you lot are claiming.

Additionally, i'm not touching your dice.  You're the one re-rolling it.  Corbs' ability just allows me to get you to do that. 

Nope. "may be used to […] re-roll" can only mean the owning player is the one doing the rolling. You're the one using, so you must be the one rolling. There's nothing in there about forcing anyone else to do anything.

And the definition of a re-roll is:

In some situations, the rules allow you to re-roll a dice. This is exactly what it sounds like – pick up the dice you wish to re-roll, and roll it again.

Which means a re-roll has to be the same dice, and you're rolling it "again". If you didn't roll it in the first place, you cannot possibly be rolling it again.

That may be semantic quibbling, but it's rock :cussing solid compared to what you lot are claiming.

But it still says re-roll "a" dice. Once a dice is rolled, it's rolled regardless of owner. There is no ownership applied to it. Frankly, your quote taken in a vacuum would justify me picking up your dice to re-roll them. It's not precisely clear since no ownership it applied to the words. Your assumption is that you can only ever re-roll your own dice.

It's ambiguous since there is no qualifier like "Re-roll the dice for a friendly army/unit" or "To a army with the Blood Angel faction". By your meaning, if I was playing a doubles match, I could not re-roll my team's Seize the initiative roll because it is implied it is only for my own roll, not my team. The context is oddly missing which is why we are even discussing it.

A better way to signify it would have been to state "Re-roll ANY dice" since that is clearly defined.

Better to check with your gaming group and come to your own consensus.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting discussion... Any further update on the whole issue? Would GW bother replying to an email on the matter?

Nope. Their standard email response is: Thanks for the email. We wont answer your question, but may bear it in mind for a future FAQ.

Archived