Starting Deathwing.... Again :)

Darth Ghandi

So it has been a couple of years since I played 40k and I went out today and bought the DA dex.

Last time I played I was mostly playing DW with BA models since I loved BA and terminators. But during my research I saw DW knights and the new flyers and thus sold my old BA armies :)

From what I have gathered it is a excellent idea using RW support before teleporting DW guys, and after looking at the new FW outriders the idea is even more appealing. 

But all the different formations and such if making an old timer like me a rather confused.

I have been eyeing the RWAS coupled with DWRF, but my concerns are that my DWK won't see combat cause they are walking and that I can't use the pretty flyers, are these assumptions correct?

I want to make a 1000 list first then scale it bigger once I have more of a idea of the game. So any suggestions on do's and don'ts are welcome.

First of all, welcome back to the First Legion!  Going from 6th edition to the new codex was a little confusing for me too.  So we will see how well I have grasped the concepts.  I hope someone corrects me if I am wrong.  So here I go!

First of all you will need a primary detachment, that is where your warlord goes.  The Ravenwing Attack Squad and the Deathwing Redemption Force are formations.  You should use the Ravenwing Strike Force and Deathwing Strike Force to accomplish your list.  Now this is a question for someone with more experience with the rules, if you take the Deathwing Strike Force could you then take other formations from codex, like the Silence Squadron or Ravenwing Attack Squad? 

Now your poor Deathwing Knights, I am in the same boat as I just painted a squad of five and a Land Raider Crusader, you cannot use them with a Land Raider unless you use a Combined Arms Detachment.  You could put them in the DWSF and deep strike them in but they won't get to swing at anything until turn three. 

As for the fliers, if you have three then you could run them as a Silence Squadron formation with any of the other detachments (although this may require clarification as I am not sure if you can use that formation apart from the Lion's Blade).  They could be used with a CAD which would work well if you had your DWK in a land raider.  The other option would be to have a Ravenwing Strike Force with Sammy in Sableclaw with your fliers.  They would auto arrive on turn two. 

The biggest challenge is creating a list at 1000 points.  DWK's in a land raider is almost 500 points and so is the Silence Squadron.  At 1000 points it may be worth running a CAD, this will allow you to field your knights, a flier or two, a few bikes, HQ's on bikes and some terminators.  You will also need some marines too.  Here is a sample:

CAD

HQ: Level 2 Librarian on bike

Troops: 2x 5 man tac squad

Elite: DWK w/LRC

Fast: 2x 3 man bike squad

There is a little wiggle room for upgrades but it is a low model count army but could be fun to get the knights out to make things go splat.  If you drop the land raider then you could have more bikes.  I hope this helps!

-E

Correction, you want either the RWSF or the DWSF, you don't really need both.  I am a huge fan of the RWAS, due to its 12" telehomer bubble.  That leads me to prefer the DWSF, since that combines the 12" bubble with electively passing or failing reserves rolls...you get the DW stuff you want where you want it when you want it.  It's beautiful.    You do give up some shooty benefits of the DWRF, though...which is fine with me, the only gun any of my termies carries is a heavy flamer.  The aforementioned precision deepstrike shenanigans increase the value of a heavy flamer exponentially!

At 1000 points,  I would recommend a beefy RWAS with 6 bikes (2 grav guns) and a tornado, a ML2 termie libby, a DWT squad with 4 thunderhammers and a heavy flamer/chainfist, a DWK squad, and a TLLC dreadnought with obligatory drop pod.  

The dreddy's drop pod, being the only one, automatically comes in on turn one, so bear that in mind...could be an advantage in blasting rear armor on a demolisher or drawing fire away from the bikes...could just thud in and die for no gain.  You could take 3 extra termies instead...

Many thanks for the help guys.

Atm it looks like i will be building a DWSF with a RWAS.

I'm very sad that I can't use my LR in this formation, but I'm hoping that my mates won't mind me starting the game with it on the board with my DWK inside. 

Sounds reasonable?

Archived