Lions Blade - double demi - 1500 (road to Nationals)

Morticon

Love the batreps and congrats.

What would you have added at say 1750 or 1850? RW Support jumps to mind.

I think i would have traded out the scouts for RW support - almost definitely. 

I would have also likely have thrown in another dread, and possibly even a libby - points dependent.  I love the DA psychic powers.

at 1850 - probably this:

Venerable dread - hf  (Free Pod)

Libby - level 2

2x Attack Bikes - mm

1x Typhoon Speeder

Morticon, you'll only get free transports for parts of the demi-companies, not a venerable dreadnought. Besides you'd need to add a CAD or DW formation/detachment to add him, or have the whole army unbound. In which case you can't have free transports, and end up playing 2300-2500 points instead.

Regular dreadnought tho... I love em =)

Yep, you would have to have a non-venerable dreadnought to give him the free drop pod.

That's a very interesting difference. The Astartes get a choice of 3 dreads with free pods from their Demi-Co. This is something I didn't realize until now. (And for comparison I do have to admit using 2 Ironclads w/Pods in a Battle Co is quite decent with 5 attacks.)

• 5 months later...

Sorry if this is an obvious question, I just picked up my DA codex last week. I have also searched for this answer but couldn't find anything:

If I run a Lion's Blade with two Demi-Companies similar to what the OP describes, do I gain the command benefits of both the Lion's Blade SF and the Battle Demi-Company Formation? In other words, do my marines gain Company Support, Supreme Fire Discipline, and Objective Secured? 

Thanks.

Hope no one minds if I chime in here with a few more noob questions. I am absolutely wanting to build up my collection to play this double demi-company style of list. 

I may have missed it but I didn't ever see a post where the OP explained what he ended up taking to the tournament. The OP mentions really liking the 2 Grav Cannons in Rhinos vs how he originally posts his list where the Dev Squads are in Drop Pod or Razorback. Morticon, if you're around and you don't mind posting what you used, I'd love to have a look. I'm in Utah USA, by the way, so I'm not attempting to hijack your list and sabotage you in an event or anything like that ;)

Also in the original post on this thread the 1st HQ is "Captain" with "Mace of Absolution."  I may be blind but I can't find anything in the codex that is called a "Captain." Do you mean to say a "Chapter Master?" My understanding is that for a Double Demi to work there must be Chapter Master in one demi and Chaplain in the other.  And also, I can't see how the Mace of Absolution is an option for an HQ. I can only see that it is available to DW Knights. Do you mean to say "Mace of Redemption?"  

And finally, when I add up all the points for the list on the original post, I get 1,480...so I'm not sure how you have 100 points left over to play around with for weapons load outs. If I'm miscalculating can someone enlighten me please?

I'm going to be building up to 1,850 so I would definitely be wanting to drop the Scouts and follow the suggestions to do RWSS or another Dread...something along those lines.

Thanks.

Here's my crack at the answers:

• Pretty sure Morticon ended up going for 2 x Grav Cannons in Rhinos, but now that I've said that I'll be wrong. Note that while the list is good and obviously performed well, it's not the final word on dual demi-company Lion's Blade lists, as I'm sure Morticon will agree. Have fun coming up with your own combos rather than necessarily copy/pasting Morticon's.
  • He meant 'Company Master' not 'Captain'. DA call their captains 'Company Master' and aside from DA specific rules (Deathwing, Grim Resolve etc.) and wargear they're essentially the same as SM captains. You're right, a double demi-company requires a Chaplain (not Interrogator Chaplain) in one company and a Company Master in the other. Also, DA don't have the 'Chapter Master' upgrade to their captains the way SM do. Instead we get Azrael as a very sub-standard separate special character.
  • You're right, the 'Mace of Absolution' is wargear for DW Knights. He was referring to the relic 'Mace of Redemption' found on pg. 155 and available for purchase by most ICs.
  • It really depends on your meta. I'd be throwing some Ravenwing in there because dreads don't last long in my group. For me the options are an outflanking RWAS with MM bikes and a MM/CML Land speeder or a RWSS with HB/AS speeders and a Vengeance. Just remember Ravenshield only applies to Ravenwing units, so you're not getting the full benefit of the RWSS (but will still get BS5 against most targets).

...Note that while the list is good and obviously performed well, it's not the final word on dual demi-company Lion's Blade lists, as I'm sure Morticon will agree. Have fun coming up with your own combos rather than necessarily copy/pasting Morticon's.

Nice, point well taken. Thanks for the responses! :)

• 2 weeks later...

...Note that while the list is good and obviously performed well, it's not the final word on dual demi-company Lion's Blade lists, as I'm sure Morticon will agree. Have fun coming up with your own combos rather than necessarily copy/pasting Morticon's.

Nice, point well taken. Thanks for the responses! smile.png

Sorry for the delay! Didnt spot this.

Saphrael summed it up really nicely. And he was right about the Mace and the Captain things.

I'd love to have a look. I'm in Utah USA, by the way, so I'm not attempting to hijack your list and sabotage you in an event or anything like that

I dont mind at all dude! Ideas are for sharing! The list is on the first page. Though, I honestly cant remember if i wound up going 1 or 2 Gravs in the Rhino.

I did a 1850 version of this list, and it was one of the strongest lists i've ever played. I had a crappy game in the finals vs. another double-demi player -but, that was because I made a lot of mistakes and was rattled. Other than that, the list just completely stomped face.

I think i posted it here- was called "battle of the bay". I had 2 dreads and a RWSS - the RWSS was UNREAL. HIGHLY recommended at 1850. Pricey tax though at 295 points.

This was it:

So, i'll be taking the Dark Angels (counts as Children of Sanguinius).

Following list:  (Lionsblade double-demi + inquisition)

Captain - Mace of Awesome (s7,ap3, concussive, blind), Auspex

Chaplain - Auspex

Inquisitor - 3xSkulls, RadGrenades, PsychotrokeGrenades  (Likely to be warlord for reroll on Inq table hoping for Orbital )

Corteaz  

Dreadnought - MM

Pod

Dreadnought - MM

Pod

5x TAC  - MG, Cmbi-melta

Pod

5x TAC  - MG, Cmbi-melta

Pod

5x TAC  - MG, Cmbi-melta

Pod

5x TAC  - MG

Razor -las/plas

5x TAC  - MM

Razor -las/plas

5x TAC  

Razor -las/plas

5x ASM - MB, Flmr

Pod

5x ASM - Flmr

Razor -las/plas

5x DEV - 2GravCan

Pod

5x DEV - 1GravCan, 1MM

Rhino

Ravenwing Formation - 3x Speeders + 1x DarkShroud  (3MM, 3HBs)  (unit has scout, shroud, intercept, strafing run, 6" bubble stealth, as well as grants Fear to DA in 6" and prevents overwatch on units within 6")

List plays simply.  No real gimmicks or tricks.  7 pods, 4 razors, 1 rhino and 1 speeder squad.   Full BS overwatch.   Nice little counter charge unit in the pod as the characters join up.  Stealth support provided by DarkShroud and intercept protection from that suad and Corts, also helping with my alpha on account of the reroll.  

Archived