Question about Troop Tax

LutherMax

Troops have their uses of course and that's why the 'tax' is there but I have a question 'just in case' msn-wink.gif

A dedicated transport takes on the unit type of it's contents, right? So if I had a tactical squad in a dedicated Rhino does that fill the two obligatory troop slots in a Baal Strike Force? Or, at the risk of answering my own question, no, because the Rhino doesn't take up a slot?

As above, dedicated transports do not take up a slot, however count as the slot the unit came from.

Or you could drop the 40pt rhino and take a 55pt unit of scouts.

Or take 2x 5 man tactical squads instead of 1x 10 man.

I thought as much... I looked into FTSF but I much prefer the command benefits you get with BSF.

2x 5-man tactical squads is what I'm planning currently having had lack lustre results with my sniper scouts. I might make some CC scouts in the future but they are very much back of the queue at the moment!

In numbers with cloaks, CCW and a fist with a combi the scouts are ridiculously effective. They go from "ignore" to "legitimate threat" for the opponent after they suddenly ransack an unsuspecting unit.

For shooty scouts the hell fire shell heavy bolter is fun too, 2+ poison blast! Although you should avoid shooty ones really for us as they are BS3

The problem I find with heavy weapons in scout units (and sniper rifles are also 'heavy') is that you can't move and shoot. If the whole unit has them and you have a good spot with line of sight / range to enemy units, maybe on an objective it's okay but otherwise I've found it restrictive.

+1 for CC scouts. I've been fixing to test out 10 w/cloaks and a v. sergeant with a fist for awhile now. If I get to try them soon, I'll bump with thread with my feelings about it.

That being said, I haven't found sniper scouts to be as ineffective as everyone claims. And the possibility of getting to pick out a model from a unit shouldn't be ignored either.

The problem I find with heavy weapons in scout units (and sniper rifles are also 'heavy') is that you can't move and shoot. If the whole unit has them and you have a good spot with line of sight / range to enemy units, maybe on an objective it's okay but otherwise I've found it restrictive.

70pts for an objective sitter with a 3+ cover in ruins isn't too bad.

It makes your opponent come to you, which is something we want. They may not achieve much, but it's a small investment.

Hmm... maybe I'm regarding my snipers unjustly. Weirdly my opponents often target them (as they do with empty drop pods) before other more juicy options – so even for the purpose of drawing some fire they can be useful, especially for the price.

I might try them again and be more considerate of how I use them.

I will do some CC scouts at some point because, well, as a Blood Angel CC is in my, well... Blood..!

I use both cc and sniper scouts regular.

They both had their highs and lows.

But most of the time they do something great.

Snipers shot a Blood Thirster his last Wound off. Cc Scous with meltabomb blew a already wounded prince back into warp. :)

Scouts in a raven are incredibly potent. They are cheap so it doesn't matter if they're blown up with the Raven, they can drop out via skies of fury with no risk due to move through cover, and by doing so they can grab a late game objective.

I haven't tried scouts yet, but Im having a decent amount of success with tacticals. I don't know how well they'll keep working once the surprise factor of having tacticals charge instead of shoot wears off, but for now it's working very well.

My tacticals that made it into combat (damned overwatch shooting!) last game managed to take out a 10-strong sternguard vet squad which more than makes up for the cost of their upgrades (power sword, heavy flamer, flamer, hand flamer, vet sergeant)

Scouts can at least infiltrate and grab an objective early, which very useful especially if it's a maelstrom mission, then if CC can act as a counter charge unit.

In my last game where I ran an SoB CAD with a BA CAD, I infiltrated 2 5man scout squads onto objectives. One didn't move all game but sadly the objective card never materialised. The other squad charged a tac squad with a captain attached and ate the overwatch so my DC could also join the fight without eating overwatch, then my Scout Sgt bravely accepted the TH captains challenge as I didn't want to risk my Chappy or St Celestine. Overall I was very pleased with the Scouts.

D

70pts for an objective sitter with a 3+ cover in ruins isn't too bad.

It makes your opponent come to you, which is something we want. They may not achieve much, but it's a small investment.

This is how I use them.  Just sit one or two squads of sniper scouts (sometimes with Heavy Bolters) at the back on objectives while they take pot-shots at the enemy.  Last game I played they took out the Ork Warboss while harvesting objective points.  I count on them being ignored because for me the point investment is in the guaranteed VP's they get from sitting on objectives at the back.  I really don't want them to be shot at.  

I may try a CC group of scouts next, they sound like a different set of tactics.

Archived