SW1's Tale of 18, =][= and allies. ;)

SW1

Ok ... Time for some WIP pic's of the rabble of Priests. I still need to source (I'll have them somewhere in the bits boxes) a load of holstered pistols but they're mainly done.

gallery_25187_11316_313282.jpg

And now time for some close ups:

Hidden Content

gallery_25187_11316_76971.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_230246.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_232901.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_315477.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_355213.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_362917.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_292932.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_69270.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_100835.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_394158.jpg

Raided the bits boxes successfully, finding more than enough bits to kit out all of them with purity seals, webbing and holstered guns.

gallery_25187_11316_330684.jpg

Having flowing rags (I want to say robes but let's face it they're not) I had to do a fair amount of chopping, cutting an filing to get things to fit. I'm now happy with where they are and they've been undercoated ready to take their place in the painting queue. While undercoating the priests I also finally undercoated the pads/backpack for Illa. I'm hoping I can finish painting her tonight/tomorrow. thumbsup.gif

Before spraying i bluetac'd them onto bases to see what they look like alongside Illa I have to say I'm really pleased with how they have come out. They all share a look of forward momentum with her in comparison to the squat shooting stance of my previous Inquisitor.

gallery_25187_11316_209507.jpg

I'm hoping I can follow these up with more henchmen with a similar asthetic. smile.png

The individual pic's seem to have come out much clearer than the group photo. Not decided on names for all of the priests yet but working on it. I'll come back and name them when I've decided.

Father A:

Hidden Content

gallery_25187_11316_16689.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_250660.jpg

Father B:

Hidden Content

gallery_25187_11316_263450.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_40927.jpg

Father C:

Hidden Content

gallery_25187_11316_23370.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_227098.jpg

Father D:

Hidden Content

gallery_25187_11316_555710.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_482431.jpg

Father E:

Hidden Content

gallery_25187_11316_119964.jpg

gallery_25187_11316_43879.jpg

I think my favourite has to be Father E at the moment. Working out my fluff for this month I think I'll try and squeeze in painting the current batch of Priests as well as finishing Illa.

That being said they are the first batch of Priests as I've found another bunch of bits to convert some more. There's nothing better than overkill. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a bit of a break from this and starting to get fired up again to crack on.

Currently trying to work out if I can shoehorn in some of the models I got with the HH box. They're a great bit of kit and I really want to make use of them asap. But I am probably better off using up the models I already earmarked for deathwatch duty.

I also need to go back through the main thread and remind myself which chapters I'm meant to be doing pads for. :)

Those guys look like they're doing the Emperors work, I'd say with some zeal...*coughcough*Zeal!.... I guess only Templars can do that....

Moving on, Father B rather scares me in a strange way, I can just see the fervor in his posing and choice of head, if that makes any sense.

Altis: cheers mate I am of a mind that they will be painted in December. Using my month off to get as many models preppet as possible and sorting out the hobby space.

Dantay: I have a few extra bodies that I was waiting for inspiration to use. I think you may have provided it for me. :tu:

November: I know what you mean. It's the baseball bat hold he has combined with the direction of his head. He's just getting into a full swing. Lol ... And that ZEAL you mention these guys have some spare buckets full. The Templars can have some if they run a bit low. ;)

great stuff SW1, father G with the red is my fav,although they are all exceptional, please do them justice with the paint, they deserve a stirling effort thumbsup.gif

Mithril

Don't worry Mithril, I've just ordered some new brushes. The first thing they will be used on are the priests and finishing up Illa.

A small child decided to play with daddy's brushes and wrecked them so no painting for a short while. :(

I've picked up some nylon brushes for the kids to use so hopefully this shouldn't happen again.

great stuff SW1, father G with the red is my fav,although they are all exceptional, please do them justice with the paint, they deserve a stirling effort thumbsup.gif

Mithril

Don't worry Mithril, I've just ordered some new brushes. The first thing they will be used on are the priests and finishing up Illa.

A small child decided to play with daddy's brushes and wrecked them so no painting for a short while. sad.png

I've picked up some nylon brushes for the kids to use so hopefully this shouldn't happen again.

yeah i take my lil guy to my mates on weekends and he sits at his painting table and pretends to paint his undercoated figures, he's quite diligent in his pretending..I think the paint force may be strong with that one thumbsup.gif. although my brushes are kept well above his reach at home tongue.png

i got some W&N series7 when my wife and i went to England/London several years ago(gee that seems like a lifetime ago) im still not sure what i want to use em on yet laugh.png

what brushes are you getting???...

cheers, Mithril

I'll be trying out some of these in the 2/0, 0 and 1:

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/watercolour-brushes/pure-red-sable/pointed-pure-red-sable

It's just £7.50 including postage and a mate has had good things to say about them.

Normally I'd go with these other ones but I know a certain jolly fellow is bringing some in December:

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/watercolour-brushes/pure-kolinsky-sable/pure-kolinsky-pointed

The rosemaryandco series 33 are about on par with Windsor and Newton series 7 but at a third of the price. Think it's due to rosemaryandco being brush makers selling direct to the public.

The kids are getting some of these:

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/watercolour-brushes/golden-synthetic/series-313

And we're also trying out one of these:

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/watercolour-brushes/golden-synthetic/golden-extra-fine-detail

Of course daddy will get to try out the brushes and the synthetic might actually be better for painting the resin scenery I've cast for my brother. There can be the odd sharp edge with resin which could possibly cut natural hairs.

Hey nice looking brushes, I may have to check em out...

Sorastro's painting on youtube(star wars mini's) uses these too...

I like the 33 series wub.png although the Size 20 must be Massive..at $452.13 Australian!! a rich guy's terrain brush maybe tongue.png

that last one in your list is for eyes right eek.gif that's a super fine brush!!

cheers Mithril

I think the size 20 is used for painting huge water colour paintings? These are primarily artist brushes and we just use the smallest sizes they produce. I had a chat with them via the chat function on the website when I first came across them. There was so many different brushes to choose from I didn't know where to start.

The support is great and they hand make the brushes so if you have a question they actually know what they're talking about. That's something I appreciate as we seem to get more and more removed from producers.

The last one on the list will be to try out some script. At £1.80 I'm not going to expect miracles. But saying that the brushes from them up to now have far exceeded similarly priced ones from everywhere else I've tried and even exceeded much more expensive ones. :tu:

Well those brushes were ordered about 12:30 yesterday and they've already turned up in the post! Really need to have the final sort out so I can get on with the important creative side of things.

That said I decided to chop up the plastic contemptor not realising the brushes would be so quick to see if it's possible to make it any more dynamic. There's now rotation at the hips for both legs and the body can now be rotated as well. I really don't want to loose any of the parts so I think I may carry on with that before painting anything.

Hmmm ... Someone got a bit cocky with the saw and decided to play about with the arms as well. :)

Edit: pic is up in my HH gallery will post it tomorrow when I can get on the laptop. ;)

Here's the body in lots of pieces ...

gallery_25187_9829_76090.jpg

Which gave me plenty of movement in the body but the arms were a bit off ...

gallery_25187_9829_549989.jpg

So I've now chopped up the arms to get this ...

gallery_25187_9829_282647.jpg

gallery_25187_9829_201136.jpg

Not sure how to squeeze this into the tale of 18 yet but I'm working on it. ;)

I ended up getting a bit choppy with the Chaplain as well ... Not so sure about the blade now its been GS'd to the arm:

gallery_25187_9829_783.jpg

gallery_25187_9829_224395.jpg

gallery_25187_9829_175886.jpg

Really need to get back on track with the =][= stuff now.

Both are really nicely done. The sword looks pretty cool on the Chaplain. Is he going to be a Blood Angel?

The only thing I would say, is that the first dreadnaught picture, it looks to be leaning back a bit. Your rechopping of the arms has certainly given him a pose which shows dynamic movement. I think you also dipped the torso forward slightly to convey that as well as if he is leaning into a run or a shoulder charge.

Graet job so far... Are they joining your Inquisitor for next months challenge, maybe wearing Deathwatch black? 

They're just held together with bluetac so slipped a bit while the pic was being taken. I'm going to need to fill around the joints with GS so I have something to pin the model together with.  I can't get the surfaces flush enough to just rely on plastic cement to hold it together.  I've also found that the metal TDA cyclone missile launcher looks fairly good sat on top of the Dread so I'm looking at sourcing another of the Kheres Ass Cannon's and making it a mortis.

Part of me wants to include these as part of the challenge and another part really want's to kick start my HH train journey.  So these may be my reward for getting the =][= stuff done. The character is probably going to be an Emperors Children Praetor.

This coming month will see me get twelve priests done to go with Illa.  I've also just found the missing arm to a WHFB Witch Hunter conversion I did which will be a basic Inquisitor.  I'm now thinking of just doing loads of different Inquisitors and having lots of random backgrounds.

Having lots of Inquisitors with small retinues would be cool, and game legal, as you run them a separate detachment/allies smile.png

I think it would be quite a cool idea. A bit like a conclave of Inquisitors meeting to discuss an impending treat to the Imperium. A bit like the conclave held in the 1st Eisenhorn book, when they discuss Traitor Inquisitor Quixus, I think.

Keep going with the Space Marines too, as if you start to feel a bit of burn-out on the Inquisitors, you have another project to fall back on.

Cheers for the vote of confidence. I've enjoyed doing something a bit different. Not quite mentally ready to try the purple of the EC on mass. Though I may try an Inquisitor in purple. What I'm liking is no two members if the =][= are the same so I can try lots of different colours out with them that I don't normally paint. For example I've not painted anything green up in ages so I had fun painting my first Inquisitor.

Illa has had her head finally fixed in place after finding it again. I couldn't find it after dropping it on the floor so a little walk around with bare feet was in order. Lol ... I found it quite quickly after getting a few other bits impailed in my foot.

Think I'll separate the HH stuff out of this thread and start a thread for them when I get round to doing more with them. So back to =][= stuff. While sorting out my hobby space I've come across several models that could potentially be Inquisitors. I just need to get them all cleaned up and will then work through them. :tu:

Archived