So, if I want to assault...?

Fahlnor

I've got a tournament coming up in a few months that I'm building a new army for. I've recently got rid of pretty much everything for my hobby and I was originally planning to make a new Blood Angels army for the competition. Then I started thinking "oh, but this is a shooting game, blah-blah-blah, Crimson Fists, yada-blah" and changed my plans.

Now, I haven't played the game in a long, long time, so I decided to get some practise in, playing some teeny-tiny games with a friend using some Tactical Squads and an Assault Squad I painted up for the painting competition here (for which I still need to add my danged banner!).

Turns out, I really don't want to stay still and shoot. My Tactical Squads were advancing forwards as much as possible and looking for charges while my Assault Squads soared gloriously through the skies, descending on wings of fire, bringing the word of Sanguinius to the traitorous foe.

Which brings me back to writing a Blood Angels army list for the competition. I'm basically looking for any general thoughts or advice. My own thoughts to date are that I tend to prefer infantry over vehicles, I want to be looking at charging, jump packs are cool and I get twitchy when I consider using special named characters.

I was considering (in very basic terms), something like this:

Sanguinary Priest

10-man Tactical Squad

- Heavy flamer

- Melta

- Combi-melta

- Drop Pod

10-man Tactical Squad

- Heavy flamer

- Melta

- Combi-melta

- Drop Pod

10-man Assault Squad

- Jump packs!

- Meltas everywhere

10-man Assault Squad

- Jump packs!

- Meltas everywhere

10-man Sanguinary Guard

- Banner plus upgrades

10-man Death Company

- Jump packs!

- Special weapons

Extra Drop Pod

That roughly falls in at about 1,600 points with upgrades to units. The tournament is 1,650 points. I can easily work in the points to hit that pretty neatly, but I'm just wondering what my brothers' thoughts might be about this list? Given a predilection for charging and assault and close combat and hitting things with sticks, what changes would you consider for this list?

I'm itching to get building and painting as soon as possible. Heck, I'll probably get on with my Death Company for now. In the meantime, all feedback is appreciated!

Thank you, brothers!

Note: I'd quite like to fit a choppy Captain into the list, if possible!

Do you know what the meta is like?

Sanguinary Priest

Best give him at least a bolt pistol and melta bombs. It's also worth using his WS5(6) so consider giving him an power axe (if with a squad that has a Sergeant) or a power sword/maul. Possibly consider a grav pistol here.

10-man Tactical Squad

- Heavy flamer

- Melta

- Combi-melta

- Drop Pod

Looks fine. Melta bombs?

10-man Tactical Squad

- Heavy flamer

- Melta

- Combi-melta

- Drop Pod

Looks fine. Melta bombs?

10-man Assault Squad

- Jump packs!

- Meltas everywhere

Looks fine. Melta bombs and something for the Sergeant?

10-man Assault Squad

- Jump packs!

- Meltas everywhere

For this one, consider dropping the jump packs to make use of that extra Drop Pod. Here, give the sergeant either two inferno pistols, one inferno pistol and one grav pistol, or a combi-melta. Add melta bombs to taste.

10-man Sanguinary Guard

- Banner plus upgrades

With the Priest being here and a large squad of Death Company offering an equal threat, consider dropping down to 7/8 models as you'll end up with an overkill. Perhaps 1/2 axes and a fist. Only add a pistol if you have the points to spare.

10-man Death Company

- Jump packs!

- Special weapons

Again, maybe drop down to 7/8 models. Consider a fist (with a bolter!) and a power weapon every 4 models or so. A maul might be a good choice too. Possibly add a second bolter to the mix

Extra Drop Pod

See above. If you *really* want an empty Drop Pod, at least give it a deathwind missile launcher.

Concerns would be anti-air and no rolling cover - so you'd need to be smart with placement. Possibly go for a refused flank?

Do you know what the meta is like?

Sanguinary Priest

Best give him at least a bolt pistol and melta bombs. It's also worth using his WS5(6) so consider giving him an power axe (if with a squad that has a Sergeant) or a power sword/maul. Possibly consider a grav pistol here.

10-man Tactical Squad

- Heavy flamer

- Melta

- Combi-melta

- Drop Pod

Looks fine. Melta bombs?

10-man Tactical Squad

- Heavy flamer

- Melta

- Combi-melta

- Drop Pod

Looks fine. Melta bombs?

10-man Assault Squad

- Jump packs!

- Meltas everywhere

Looks fine. Melta bombs and something for the Sergeant?

10-man Assault Squad

- Jump packs!

- Meltas everywhere

For this one, consider dropping the jump packs to make use of that extra Drop Pod. Here, give the sergeant either two inferno pistols, one inferno pistol and one grav pistol, or a combi-melta. Add melta bombs to taste.

10-man Sanguinary Guard

- Banner plus upgrades

With the Priest being here and a large squad of Death Company offering an equal threat, consider dropping down to 7/8 models as you'll end up with an overkill. Perhaps 1/2 axes and a fist. Only add a pistol if you have the points to spare.

10-man Death Company

- Jump packs!

- Special weapons

Again, maybe drop down to 7/8 models. Consider a fist (with a bolter!) and a power weapon every 4 models or so. A maul might be a good choice too. Possibly add a second bolter to the mix

Extra Drop Pod

See above. If you *really* want an empty Drop Pod, at least give it a deathwind missile launcher.

Concerns would be anti-air and no rolling cover - so you'd need to be smart with placement. Possibly go for a refused flank?

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply!

In terms of specific load-outs for units, I hadn't really worried about what was going into the squads. Most of the stuff you mention is stuff that would be going into the army for definite. Sprinkling of melta bombs and gear on the Sanguinary Priest, for example.

The empty Drop Pod is a 35-point tax (could happily add a missile launcher to it!) that allows me to put 100% of my army on the table turn one. I prefer not relying on reserve rolls to bring in units later in the game.

What I'm mostly wondering is in more general terms, what you think about the army concept. Anti-air is obviously an issue. Do I need anti-air, or can I hug cover and hope for the best? Do you think the army can make it across the board and cause damage when it arrives? Am I spending too many points on Space Marines and not enough on vehicles?

Dropping the Death Company and Sanguinary Guard to smaller units is absolutely fine by me, and would conceivably free up the points I need to fit in a choppy Captain. I can start working on specifics, I guess.

:)

Thanks again!

Quick thought: I, personally, love to give a Sanguinary Priest the Valour's Edge AP2 Sword. AP2 at Initiative can not be underrated. SP's are not the best CC units in the game (or codex) but they are no pushovers. And again, AP2 at Initiative 5+ is worth considering.

That being said it's all about how you want to use the SP and if he's truly just support those pts can be spent somewhere else.

To keep in line with forum rules, I posted my actual list in the army lists subforum.

As I said, a lot of the specifics that were mentioned I already planned to include in my list. I'm curious about the flyers issue - can I afford to ignore flyers for the most part? I'm thinking a fast-moving and hard-hitting army that relies largely on jump infantry can contest and hold objectives a lot better than a flyer-heavy list.

Sure, they can shoot me down somewhat, but let's be honest - there's only so much damage that a flyer can actually do, and if I'm locked in combat with his army, then they're even less useful than they might otherwise be.

Genuinely would appreciate thoughts.

Archived