Ravenwing Strike Force Question

DarkAngeal

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but I can't find it.

If you take a flyer in a Ravenwing Strike Force detachment, does the entire detachment have to start in reserves? Or does the starting on the board turn 1 overwrite the fact that flyers must start in reserves?

The exact wording of the "Strike as One" rule states that all the units must be placed in reserve or deployed as normal.

Some of us disagree what "deployed as normal" means in regards to flyers.

The "normal" rules for flyers say they can not be "deployed" but must be kept in reserve.

So the argument is does "deployed as normal" mean that everything has to start on the board.

I am in the camp that says that they flyers start in reserve no matter what.

If the rest of the RWSF is held in reserves, then everything, including the flyers will enter on turn 2.

If the rest of the RWSF is deployed as normal, the the flyers will have to roll for reserves starting on turn 2 and will only come in on the normal reserve roll.

We'll know for certain when we get the FAQ... Heck, it might even end up that "Strike as One" over rules the flyers must start in reserve rule and they begin play on the board.

Flyers are never deployed "in play" in the set-up portion of the game, but always deploy from Reserves.  That is what "normal deployment " for Flyers is.  Some untis may make use of either option (i.e. deploy "in play" during set-up, or deploy via Reserves in some way), or only one of them. It is a catch-all rule.  It just offers different deployment parameters, not anything else.

Archived