Question about cypher rules

DarkAngeal

Recently I received a fully painted cypher as a gift at my bachelor party. Obviously I can't play him with my dark angels, and I don't play chaos at all, so here's my question. If I take cypher in a list, what faction does he count as? Can he join squads from that detachment?

Per the Dataslate and the included Cypher booklet in the Limited edition Reclusiam edition he can have either the Chaos Space Marines faction or the Dark Angels Faction, your choice. In a battle-forged army he can be included in a Chaos Space Marines Detachment or a detachment from one of the Armies of the Imperium. However as we know, he cannot be taken with any other models that have the Dark Angel Faction.

He operates as an IC so he can join squads or run with the 1-3 units of Chosen that you can take with him.

he can join your army if you go unbound and tbh if you do your in for a treat because cypher is argueably the best independant character of all the dark angels offerings

hes 190p he has gunslinger on a pistol 2 plasma pistol that doesnt gets hot, he has EW, he has a 4+ invul, and he has fear and fearless. cypher hits about as hard as any company master can and he has EW something that up to the point where battle forged ends was only on sammael who is absolutely worthless if your not going to take many ravens

Play your da as an unbound fallen army.

How can you include Cypher with DA in an unbound list? His rules states that he can never be fielded in an army with DA, and even the unbound rules don't state that they bypass this rule.

his rules and i quote:

"IF SELECTING A BATTLE FORGED ARMY:

cypher may be included in a chaos space marines detachment or a detachment from one of the factions of the imperium. cypher cannot, however, be included in a BATTLE FORGED army that includes any models with the dark angels faction. cypher does not take up any slots on the detachments force organization chart"

AT NO POINT does his dataslate in its current form from the LE codex does it have a verdict regarding unbound armies and as a result he can be included in ANY unbound army, even xenos, even chaos daemons, even dark angels and nobody can stop you.

furthermore because you can do this AND still choose between his factions he can be a battle brother meaning he is effected by our magic, he is allowed to ride in friendly transports, and he can be attached to dark angels units just like any other IC our codex offers. treat him no differently than any other HQ in an unbound army beyond the rule that he cant be your warlord.

this also has interesting implications for fighting with deathwing as he grants your deathwing flat hatred against all enemy units in addition to scoring d3 vp if he survives the match for your army despite him being a member of your own army, in addition you could kill him with his own unit (no rules against attacking friendly units) and thus gain the d3 vp if you feel your going to lose him anyway as a result of the enemies turn. 

pairing him with deathwing knights is the dream youve basically secured yourself d3 vp regardless of win/loss parameters ad you are giving the knights hatred against any foe on the enemies army

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-clJvNf_xM8

How can you include Cypher with DA in an unbound list? His rules states that he can never be fielded in an army with DA, and even the unbound rules don't state that they bypass this rule.

his rules and i quote:

cypher may be included in a chaos space marines detachment or a detachment from one of the factions of the imperium. cypher cannot, however, be included in a BATTLE FORGED army that includes any models with the dark angels faction. cypher does not take up any slots on the detachments force organization chart"

AT NO POINT does his dataslate in its current form from the LE codex does it have a verdict regarding unbound armies and as a result he can be included in ANY unbound army, even xenos, even chaos daemons, even dark angels and nobody can stop you.

furthermore because you can do this AND still choose between his factions he can be a battle brother meaning he is effected by our magic, he is allowed to ride in friendly transports, and he can be attached to dark angels units just like any other IC our codex offers. treat him no differently than any other HQ in an unbound army beyond the rule that he cant be your warlord.

this also has interesting implications for fighting with deathwing as he grants your deathwing flat hatred against all enemy units in addition to scoring d3 vp if he survives the match for your army despite him being a member of your own army, in addition you could kill him with his own unit (no rules against attacking friendly units) and thus gain the d3 vp if you feel your going to lose him anyway as a result of the enemies turn.

pairing him with deathwing knights is the dream youve basically secured yourself d3 vp regardless of win/loss parameters ad you are giving the knights hatred against any foe on the enemies army

You really just blew my mind here.

his rules and i quote:

You really just blew my mind here.

indeed you can also take chaos chosen in our army as a result and buy them a drop pod with an FA slot or a land raider, its not really useful but you can do it. a bit silly i know and it would do nothing to further the jokes that "dark angels are all traitors"

I just looked at my data slate again and it says "Cypher can be selected as part of a primary detachment from the following codexes:(goes on to list all imperium ones minus DA) Cypher does not take up any slots from the primary detachment force organization chart. He may not be included in any army that includes models from coded:Dark Angels" it's printed on the same page as his stat line at the top. Where are you getting your info from?

I just looked at my data slate again and it says "Cypher can be selected as part of a primary detachment from the following codexes:(goes on to list all imperium ones minus DA) Cypher does not take up any slots from the primary detachment force organization chart. He may not be included in any army that includes models from coded:Dark Angels" it's printed on the same page as his stat line at the top. Where are you getting your info from?

You can download an update for Cypher Dataslate from Black Library. The part you mentioned is no longer in. It has been replaced by the part mentioned by  aura_enchanted

You can download an update for Cypher Dataslate from Black Library. The part you mentioned is no longer in. It has been replaced by the part mentioned by  aura_enchanted

indeed, i own the physical copy included in our codex limited edition if u'd like i can provide a photo (warning 56k!):

http://i.imgur.com/2PKgSEI.jpg

Archived