The Hawkshrouds of Boar's Rock - A Knight Titan Project log

Macloren

@jefftibbetts excuse me while I have a total fanboy moment!!! That's high praise indeed coming from you, glad you like my humble offerings! I followed your Queen Bee project, man that's a beautiful piece of work. The ankle joint is actually made from dolls eyes. They come with a loop on the back which I clipped off, but it's a 12mm half-sphere, so it's pretty perfect for the job.

@pearson73 Thanks, I'm quite pleased with how the weathering turned out.

@colhertford Glad you think so man. I'm enjoying watching all the knight projects on here come together.

@kba Cheers man, glad you like it so far. I like the montage feel of the progress shots! :-)

So! That's the carapace all done, the rivets are finished and I can move on to something else.

http://imgur.com/ycyADAL.jpg

I'll go from the top to the bottom I recon and do the basing and feet next, but I thought I'd leave you with Lord Robear's reaction to young Trystyn's folly.

“Thou foolish, inconstant whelp, dost thou not grasp the consequences of thy words? Thou hast thrown away thy place in this house to satisfy thy vain glory, and no doubt broken thy Lady-mother’s heart to boot. Remember, ‘what is said cannot be unsaid’ Trystyn, dost that refrain mean nothing to thee? Cast not thy miserable countenance upon me boy, thou hast brought this upon thy own head, t’is too late for thy remorse. Thy heraldry shall henceforth be cast in a new aspect, the crusader cross thou holdest in such esteem shall adorn thy chest in place of thy honour, and thy succession shall be rent. No scion of the house may inherit while he be beholden to an outsider, even one belonging to such an august organisation as the legions Astartes. Now remove thyself from my presence Sirrah, thou art in disgrace, I would have words with these thy new masters, and whenst we return to the Rock, thou canst explain to thy Lady-mother what thy rash tongue hath wrought thee.”

Attributed to Lord Robear Hawkshroud, to his son Sir Trystyn in the presence of Imperial command elements after the cleansing of site DGT/55478.

I know what you mean about GW's painting, it feels very cartoony in comparison to how Forgeworld have been painting their stuff in the last few years. I've been playing a lot of Heresay era gaming for a while now, so I strangely feel somewhat detatched from 40k an with Fantasay going the way of the Dodo, I haven't really looked at much of the recent releases. I'm officially a hoary old gamer! ;-)

But I digress! I mentioned a while ago that I've had to re-work the original fluff I came up with to fit the split from house Hawksroud proper into the 30k setting so I could add them to the overall narrative my group have running. Part of that was to shift the personal heraldry I'd done for Lord Robear onto Sir Trystyn, explaining the shift in Trystyn's heraldry as a consequence of his vow of service to the Imperial Fists. In the original history I'd worked out for the 40k setting it was Robear who swore service to my BYO Chapter the Argent Crucifers, but that's all 'alternative reality' stuff now! So here's the second half of the fluff piece for Sir Trystyn's Folly.

Sir Trystyn:

It is said that when the young Sir Trystyn was unleashed upon the defiant forces of the Drummondii, he was filled with a giddy joy, several times ignoring tactically sound orders in favour of closing with the foe in vainglorious charges into the thick of the fighting. Lord Robear had instructed his cool-headed son Sir Aldred to watch over his brother during this, his first conflict, but all too often, Ire Aeternae’s rampaging took the young knight into dangerously exposed positions leaving Sir Aldred and his own mount PeritumVenator sorely pressed to defend his brother.

It was during one of these rampages that Sir Trystyn first met with the sons of the great Primarch Rogal Dorn, ultimately leading to his ill-conceived oath of service to the VII Legion. The brothers had received a call for assistance dealing with a detachment of heavy armour in a nearby habitat district. Sir Aldred advised his brother to advance with caution as a built up area would likely hold unseen perils. Sir Trystyn however ignored his brother’s wise council, charging headlong into the narrow boulevards of the high-rise habitation blocks in order to relieve their allies as swiftly as possible.

Sir Trystyn broke the back of the enemy armoured assault, but at great cost to himself. Without the support of his brother, Ire Aeternae was quickly surrounded in the enclosed arena and suffered grievous damage. By the time Peritum Venator had fought its way through the streets to his brother, Ire Aeternae was slumped against a building, surrounded by wrecked armour and slain foe, the young knight was bloodied buy exultant and kneeling before a force of Crusader Brethren under a Captain Richter of the VII Legion. Captain Richter had become separated from his armoured elements and been pinned down by massed enemy fire, and it was from these worthy warriors that the call for aid had been received. When the fury of the Ire Aeternae had relieved them, the warriors of the VII were free to counter charge, unmolested by enemy fire and save Sir Trystyn from destruction, though not before his noble steed had been savaged by enemy fire.

It is likely, that Captain Richter did not grasp the significance of the young noble’s oath of service to his Legion, else he may not have been so quick to accept the offer. It is said that the normally cool-headed Sir Aldred, flew into a rage when he discovered what his brother had done and had to take his leave of the field for fear of adding further infamy on the day by striking a sworn ally who he blamed for accepting Tyrstyn’s oath.

http://imgur.com/qJTHuz5.jpg

Lord Robear Hawkshroud’s response was no less wroth, he had Sir Trystyn struck from the line of succession of the Lordship of House Catharus. As the boy had sworn himself to the service of the sons of Rogal Dorn, if he were ever to come to rule it would place the forces of the entire house irrevocably under the control of the VII Legion, an occurrence which could not be risked, no matter how unlikely. Lord Robear further commanded his wayward son’s heraldry amended to mark his separation from the line of Baron Edwyrd, the quartered Crimson & White was amended to display a Sable field with a white crusader cross in the top right quarter in place of the Crimson and white crossed keys of his mother’s house, heraldry that has been used by Sir Trystyn’s descendants in all the long years since and is now seen as a further offshoot of the Hawkshroud tree.

Extract from “A Hawk Among the Stars” by Silace Gloomenthrope.

A little update tonight. I've been working on the bases.

All browned up:

http://imgur.com/TglYMF3.jpg

http://imgur.com/CR016Ak.jpg

http://imgur.com/5t5z9wA.jpg

There are a few stages between there and here, but if just gets progressively lighter, you know how it works! :-)

Base highlights done:

http://imgur.com/HuLmnMa.jpg

http://imgur.com/rVklDMd.jpg

http://imgur.com/Pp3cGZ4.jpg

I went ahead and finished the feet on Sir Baldwyn, with weathering and all:

http://imgur.com/XD4WAxJ.jpg

I'm gonna finish up the feet of the other two next, add the tuft grass etc.

Thank you chaps!

@Ovidius Incerus: The dark brown sections are Scorched Brown up to Deneb Stone, and the lighter parts are Snakebite Leather up to Deneb Stone. The running legs took a bit of fiddling to get them to work, he looked like e was tripping over for a while! :-)

@Col.hertford: Glad you like them, I've not really gone to town on the bases so I was worried they'd be a bit boring. However, they're supposed to be in an area of desert/waste land, so too much stuff might not have worked. Also it still feels like I have loads to do!

Okay chaps. A friend of mine is at the HH weekender currently and sent me this pic of a new knight Titan that FW will be releasing soon.

http://imgur.com/xQqdx3C.jpg

I like the loadout and I'm thinking that I should be able to convert one so that Sir Baldwyn can be armed in this way. Tempting tempting!

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the radio silence. I had to down tools for a bit, but I've made a little progress now so see what you think.

I did the white on Trystyn & Auldred's feet. So now they look like they have new sneaks on!

jWHySab.jpg

quTxq76.jpg

I also did some work of the weathering on Trystyn's placard shield.

tK2KKnv.jpg

And finally I had a go a heat staining the cowling on Trystyn's melta gun.

aeuEaTs.jpg

Gotta say, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome of that. So I'll be using the technique on other elements in this project and probably every other project I ever do again!

Thanks, the heat staining is pretty simple, though I have since discovered that it doesn't work so well on larger barrels like the Battlecannon, it works great on the stubbers and melta.

It just takes tree inks. Red, Purple & Blue. First paint about two thirds of the barrel red, while that's still wet, paint about half the barrel purple, while that's still wet paint the end of the barrel blue. I'm gonna try adding a little black perhaps, for scorching, see how that looks.

I finished the feet & basses off, too. So pleased as I hate painting Titan toes!

TkNzPCb.jpg

wlJ4GUu.jpg

Next up is leg plates I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Raktra, it's the only good one! This one is dead twice!!!

@Fab Gen, thanks man they're coming slowly together, a scrap with your Eaters would be grand show of white on white violence! (That sounds worse now that I've written it down!)

Update time!

I often struggle with motivation, this project has been no different so I've procrastinated ALOT in the last couple of weeks. I managed to get my mojo back in the last couple of days though, and make some decent progress.

I started painting the markings onto the plates.

ZN2LB2m.jpg

xeRyEBh.jpg

UctsTPl.jpg

I masked up and even managed to paint the knee pads and one of the placards.

zPuRiet.jpg

This will be Aldred's plackard. It'll get decals next and needs a heraldic label across the top to indicate he is his fathers heir.

jidUT9w.jpg

ORkQUYW.jpg

H0t1Oqi.jpg

Last night I didn't make quite a much progress as I accidentally put something with subtitles on so ended up getting distracted a lot! Anyway, I finished the rest of the masking, so next is a whole lot of white paint... Joy...

f9acUKU.jpg

We'll see if I maintain the momentum on this. I find that I often work best with a deadline approaching, and I've arranged an event in a couple of weeks that will see around 30 knights on the table, so it would be somewhat embarrassing if I'm the only one with my knights unfinished.

Thank you Col. I'm getting momentum back into the project now that I'm at the cool bits. ie the heraldic plates and stuff.

Small update today chaps. I finished the base heraldry on the rest of the placards and the shoulders which will have the colours of the Hawkshrouds of Boars Rock.

xe9syA2.jpg

Nice smooth white.

ThhXxkn.jpg

My favourite bit, taking the masking off, suddenly it all starts to come to life!

I'll be doing the shin plates next, hopefully tonight, then I'll ping up some pics of the whole Knights as they stand. See what you lovely lot think.

Archived