The Hawkshrouds of Boar's Rock - A Knight Titan Project log

Macloren

@Thousand Eyes: Thank you, glad you like my hobby offerings! It's not something I would do again I think. I have a Lancer on the back burner who will be my Baron but I couldn't face doing all four at the same time! :-) it'll be nice to concentrate on him once I finish his kinsmen.

@Col: I love a pun, me! I know how the lure of other projects can be a big old conflict, I've tried to focus on my Knights as much as possible, but I have tinkered with other bits and bobs too.

Right, so update time!

Some more progress last night. I finished the white on the greaves off, so I'm at a point now where I can do the decals next. I still have some white to do in some of the plates, but I wanna do something interesting next.

BOPWfZC.jpg

n5TYFet.jpg

I've sharpened up all the plates that have been masked etc. and I thought it might be good to show you chaps where the three Knights I'm mostly working on are as a whole rather than just individual plates.

fOQ7AVN.jpg

Sir Aldred

eRVjRzg.jpg

Sir Trystyn

X0D5Ldv.jpg

Sir Baldwyn

So that's where I'm at up to this morning. I might need to take some time out from painting in order to get the construction on the baron finished in time for next weekend, but I'll share whatever progress I manage.

Cheers boys!

@Dragonlover, thank you, I'm pretty happy with how the scheme has come together. And Young Trystyn is a bit of a favourite of mine too. The youngest child is always the favourite!

So I finally got round to doing the decals on the grieves and placards.

pxgS319.jpg

Decals all trimmed.

14U7oFq.jpg

The difference the decals make to the overall look always takes me by surprise.

I'm off to Cardiff tomorrow. We've planned a game with a load of knight Titans, I believe 25/30 on the field, should be a blast. Need to sleep now though! I'll make sure I get some pics of the game.

Shaping up Great! I love seeing a knight house come together well! I have a couple questions for you, did you secure the knight with one foot off the ground with pins or just glue? Does it feel stable with the one foot attached to the base? I have been wanting to do a running pose with my cerastus knight but I worry quite a bit about all of the wait on a single ankle joint. I know the Forgeworld knights are a bit different but do you have any tips for that kind of posing? 

@Luna707 thank you, I can see the end now, I'm really looking forward to having them all done. Sir Trystyn, dose have a little bit of flex in him, where his back foot isn't attached to the base. As he's a plastic kit, I didn't pin him. The weight of the kit is much less than the forge world ones, so I didn't feel it warranted the additional support. But if I was going to be doing it with a Cerastus, I would definitely pin the crap out of it! ;-) I think I would go as far as running a pin up through the foot, through the shin and into the knee.

@Col, thanks, the shoulders really bring the knight together I think. And don't worry, I'll make sure I get a bunch of pics.

The Monday after a wicked weekend is always a total downer, but alas my weekend of alcohol fuelled gaming fun is over and it's back to the real world with me.

The knight bash was a huge success, as a five v five game using a modified version of the Triumph & Treachery system. Everyone had five Knights each, so that's twenty five Knights in the field!

Here's some pics.

SuvMlfZ.jpg

DmHGxCC.jpg

MbXWGoK.jpg

hih7HnK.jpg

mKZBESK.jpg

95x1Toe.jpg

Yeah, that's Angron facing off against them! Poor old Angron, doesn't know when to quit!

The game was a lot of fun, with a suitable amount of carnage, at one point three Knights were destroyed my a single shot, one of my Knights lost his final hit point and exploded, taking another of my Knights with it, that Knight staggered into one of my opponents and the resulting explosion also killed his knight! Brutal, and silly! I loved it!

SFpC8ld.jpg

rVr6yXQ.jpg

B2zLmaH.jpg

kugWbAS.jpg

jGfQIj7.jpg

DSIzqYi.jpg

YEoALdK.jpg

I think I'll be taking a break from my Knights for a bit, in order to work on my other projects which I've been neglecting of late. Check out my Iron Warrior plog if you like that sort of thing.

Awesome work throughout the plog, man!

Your Knights have a great war torn look. They definitely look the part of a centuries old battle engine.

Also, that pic of Dad facing down a field of 25 Knights was pretty stellar.

Hey guys & dolls, thanks for the positive vibes! The knight bash was a lot of fun, and if you are ever anywhere near Cardiff (Wales) make sure to check out Firestorm Games, that place is HUGE!!!!

@Rangaman: yeah, seeing 25 Knights all arrayed like that is something else!

@Col.hertford: don't worry bro, I'm not abandoning them or anything, I just want to do some work on my Iron Warriors and other mini projects for I28 and the like, I have some true-scale marines I've been fiddling with for a while too. :-)

@kassell: that's really nice of you to say man. Thanks. :-D the game was ace, can't wait to give it another go.

@Flint13: thanks, glad you've liked it. I'm pretty pleased with how the weathering has worked out. Angron is insane at wrecking Knights, I played a game where he killed I think it was five or six Knights on his own!

@Ovidius Incertus: yeah man, seeing them all together was something else! Well pleased.

@zefig: muchos thankos, man. The repositioning of the legs is something I'm pretty pleased with, the only downfall of the GW kit IMHO is the static leg position.

• 1 year later...

Hi all! I haven’t posted anything for a while, on any of my projects. So with Forgebane dropping and the imminent release of the 8th edition Knights Codex, it seemed like a good time to pick up the Hawkshrouds of Boar’s Rock again.

FR7cASH.jpg

I have wanted some light scout Knights for ages now and even went as far as to start scratching one together, but that never panned out so it sadly got shelved. Happily now I don’t need to be sad at my lack of mini-Knights thanks to the new Armigers! Yay GW!

MVDDOql.jpg

I love the new kits! But there are a couple of things that irked me about them, so they require some minor tweaks to make them more to my Imperial tastes. First off, I don’t like the Mechanicus cog-teeth on the shoulder pad rims, happily that’s an easy fix, quick trim and file, jobs a good-un!

wWwHqAs.jpg

The second thing I want to change is the face, which is somewhat more problematic. The Imperial knights have great medieval looking face plates, so I want to mirror that to make them look like mechanical men-at-arms. That might need some greenstuff and plasticard, but who knows?!?

Anyway, I have two and I’ll post updates as I progress. Who knows, I might actually finish one of my big Knights!

Great start on the Armiger, I’ve done the same with the shoulder pads for my corrupted ones. I’ve been struggling with the faceplates as well. The gaps between the face/head and the cowl is very tight so adding a full faceplate like the larger knights is tricky.

Great start on the Armiger, I’ve done the same with the shoulder pads for my corrupted ones. I’ve been struggling with the faceplates as well. The gaps between the face/head and the cowl is very tight so adding a full faceplate like the larger knights is tricky.

Thanks man. Yeah I was figuring that I’d need to work out some sort of cheek guard configuration to cover the face rather than a full face plate. I’m thinking that the Defiler head might offer a good option. Hey, if you’re doing corrupted knights, the deamon heads from the Defiler are a good size.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update to go with my little progress. I’ve been working on different options for making the head more medieval man-at-arms looking, but that’s all proving to be a little tricky, so no progress to share there. Anyway, I made some progress on another element of the project so here it is. The Chainlance

r78cD8k.jpg

Inspired by a member of Apologist’s Facebook group, I’ve tweaked his design slightly. But I still have a fair amount of work to go on it. Green stuff cables etc.

Anyway, what do y’all think?

Archived