Iron-Bound & Fury-Borne - A IV Legion Project Log

Macloren

• 7 months later...

Hey guys,

So I've not been terribly active recently with other projects, real-life commitments and general procrastination, but it's a new year, so I thought I should probably get some work done on some of my long running projects.

I bought two sets of the Mars pattern Heavy bolters ages ago, with a view to making a Legion Devastator squad with Shrapnel rounds. I love the idea of a load of Legionnaires laying down covering fire for the guys charging the breach.

hKtUtuJ.jpg

Anyway with the Burning of Prospero box I got for Christmas, I thought it would be a good idea to use one of the MKIII sets to field my Shrapneleers!

YklPhgu.jpg

I had saved the heads from my Breacher squad for this unit and I'm pretty happy with how they came out. They look suitably heavily armoured.

Anyway, I still need to tackle those pesky anmo-belts. Wish me luck!!!

Thanks Dallo, glad you like them, it's good to be being productive again, I've been somewhat uninspired for the last few months.

This has been a unit I've wanted to do for ages. Heavy Bolters are just cool, and the idea of a whole unit of Astartes unloading a hail of explosive bolts is only made cooler with the image of those explosions spraying razor sharp shrapnel all over the place! Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with how quickly the unit came together, although the ammo belts initially gave me some trouble, I even managed to snap one 'test bending' it without hearing first like a muppet!

MvA80bt.jpg

I initially tried hot water to bend the belts, witch worked well enough, but I had to dip it several times to get it to go in the right place and I still ended up with annoying kinks which spoiled the look. One of my Brother-Warsmiths recommended using a hairdryer for the bending and happily my wife has hair, so I didn't have to go buy/borrow/steal one! :-)

p660Ttw.jpg

The hairdryer worked loads better than the hot water and meant that I could get the belts to hang in a natural way, I even managed to fix the annoying kinks in the Sargent's belt. So yeah, I'm feeling pretty well equipped handle any more power cable/ammo feeds I need to.

OTlI8xD.jpg

I think the Sargent works well, I was gonna stop with the little scanner fixed to the grip of his Heavy Bolter, but I figured, he's earned his crest like any other Sargent, so he got one too.

Anyway, they're done apart from their bases, then they can get sprayed up. Not sure what's next, possibly crew for my artillery? Who knows! I'll see where the muse takes me!

• 4 months later...

Sergeant Hauldren Wyborn of the 19th Grand Company’s 3rd Squad smirked inside his helm as he viewed the disciplined ranks of Terran soldiery advancing towards his concealed position in a smashed Administratum centre. They came on in lock step, las-locks held across their breasts with parade ground precision, trumpets blaring and pennants flying, their pristine azure uniforms at odds with the destruction around them. Wyborn found the Terran’s apparent disregard for the hellish warzone they found themselves in utterly bemusing, no advanced scouts or skirmish line had been set, and they had marched blithely into the open boulevard with no apparent consideration being given to cover. A derisive snort came over the squad com-link, followed by Legionary Dunga’s amused drawl.

“What would we call that Sergeant? Courage or foolishness?”

“Oh make no mistake lads, that is very much the latter, what is marching towards us is arrogance in the extreme. They believe that because this is their city, they have nothing to fear.” Wyborn glanced at the readout of his Auspex unit seeing only the mass of flesh advancing towards them and a single stationary machine return two streets to the South, no armour support either. He judged that two thirds of the column were now within effective weapons range.

“3rd squad, it’s time to teach these toy soldiers the error of their ways, weapons hot, on my mark.” He stood, and with him the rest of his squad emerged from concealment in the rubble, a cascade of debris falling from them as they brought their weapons to bear.

“Mark!” The throaty roar of ten heavy bolters heralded mass slaughter, a heartbeat later the opening salvo struck the front ranks of Imperial troops in a cascade of percussive booms as the flechette cluster at the heart of each Bolt detonated on impact, sending a ripple of shrapnel spinning through the surrounding soldiers. The Terrans were simply torn to pieces. Wyborn felt his cheeks pull into a gleeful grin as he played his Heavy bolter back and forth across the stunned Imperials, a dark joy always filled him at times like this, feeling the rhythmic pounding of recoil as his weapon barked out round after round, seeing the blossoming fireball as his bolts detonated against their target, the way the expanding shockwave of shrapnel bloomed from the impact like crimson-laced flowers, the horrified expressions on his foe’s faces as their bodies twitched and contorted like comical dancers. It came then, as it always did, The Laughter. He felt it uncoil in his stomach seeking freedom like a nest of hatching serpents, it bubbled up his throat and into his mouth, worming its way past his teeth where it emerged as a wet snicker. Once freed, the flow of mirth could not be contained, his snicker became a giggle, at which point Legionary Dunga joined in with his distinctive snorting guffaw, and as one the rest of 3rd squad exploded with hooting laughter. The squad vox was chocked with the sound of it and their booming laughter became a counterpoint to the shrill screaming of the Imperial Army forces being decimated in the street below. Wyborn let The Laughter flow from him, losing himself to the joy of slaughter.

gMWX30S.jpg

Well that's nearly half a year since my last post! I figured it was probably time to pick up the Iron Warriors again, I've actually been pretty productive on this project over the last month or so, getting several units constructed and sprayed up to a base level, ready for proper painting. I'll post up pics of my other units as I finish their little fluff pieces. One that I'm super excited about gets a little nod in the above piece, (what could that large stationary machine return be on Sergeant Wyborn's personal scanner?!?!?) but I'll post proper pics shortly.

Cheers chaps,

Mac.

The city around him was dead, they had engaged and eradicated Imperial forces here, the guns of the 19th Grand Company leaving the area in ruins, evidence of the one-sided battle surrounded him. Soldiers of the Imperial Army in the hundreds, blue dress uniforms splashed with crimson gore lay sprawled in the wreckage, knots of victims surrounding the burning hulks of their armoured transports. He had been personally responsible for a great many of those dust-chocked corpses and had made a total of seventeen armour kills in the engagement. He did not know the name of the regiment, nor did he much care, his purpose was simple, to engage and destroy enemy elements, he had acquitted himself admirably. After the engagement, the main force pressed on while he had been commanded to hold the area in support of 3rd squad in case of Imperial reinforcements arriving, and so, he waited. According to his internal chronometer two hours, twenty-three minuets and nine seconds had elapsed since his watch had begun when his long-range Augury scanners registered a positive return on a large troop movement approaching from the West. He hailed 3rd squad on the command channel.

+Sargent Wyborn. Respond.+

+3rd Squad responding.+ The sergeant's perpetually amused voice came back immediately.

+Look to the west lad, long range scanner returns show troop movement inbound. Be ready to receive them.+

+Yes Grandfather, all received.+

In life, he had been called Titus Vespasian and it had been his honour to command the 19th Grand Company under Warsmith Bonfort. That was before his interment in a Dreadnaught sarcophagus following the disastrous Drakkahl engagement, now he was called ‘Grandfather’ by the warriors of the 19th Grand Company. The IV Legion was famously unsentimental, so he was an anomaly, he knew this. He knew also that he was favoured by the Warsmith, who had commanded his Forgemaster to construct his old friend's new body to be truly formidable. The Forgemaster had excelled himself, for Titus towered over others of his kind, and his steel and ceramite frame sported weapons of enormous power, able to lay down a blistering avalanche of ordinance. For the moment though, he was content to stand in the rubble of a dead city and listen to Sargent Wyborn's mawkish lunatics fill the vox with their mirth while he awaited the arrival of a more meaningful foe.

Sbr1cbQ.jpg

Love the use of breacher helmets on the heavy bolter squad!

Thank you! :) yeah, I'm really pleased with how they look. I'm currently trying to rustle up enough to do another squad, possibly with las-cannons.

I thought a better pic of Wyborn's squad would be an idea, the filters are cool, but you can't really see what the unit actually looks like so far.

eET40Gs.jpg

Also a few of Grandfather Titus from a couple of different angles.

8JglhH4.jpg

If you look back over this plog, you'll see that I ran Titus as a Deredao when they first came out, but I always thought that it didn't quite look right in an Iron Warriors force, the aesthetic was just off to me, I wanted something more heavily armoured, so when the Leviathan Siege dread was released the idea for a hybrid pattern popped into my head so I got the Lev body and started re-work on Titus. I got frustrated with the project when I couldn't get the arms to work, but then mega-las for the Deredao appeared and the whole thing just fell into place. Anyway, hope you guys and gals like him as much as I do.

Archived