Of Knights and Angels

Montuhotep

Apologies if this has come up before - what are pople's views on Imp. Knights as an adjunct to a BA force - are they worth the points outlay and if so which one to go fo

As I run a severely assault-heavy list I'm tempted either by the Gallant to steam in alongside my Death Company and assault squads or a Crusader for all that lovely heavy firepower support.

Opinions?

Both are valid options! A Gallant is cheaper and can act as a distraction to ensure your DC/ SG/ Vets make contact with the enemy or the Crusader can give us exactly what we lack - a BOATLOAD of AP3 with Bolt Cannon, Battle Cannon and Rocketpod!

Just used a knight crusader against a chaos marine/daemon nurgle force. It was absolutely devastating. Alongside a jump pack and predator heavy force it was able to provide my army with the strong long range firepower that my BA sorely lack. I found that to get the most out of its weapons however, you need to provide the right supporting fire for taking out transports so that the knight can get to the goodies inside, which we can get through our easy access to melta weaponry. 

Despite it only being 1 game, I can see that the stormspear rockets are almost an auto-take on the knight crusader. Being able to shoot 3 strength 8 ap 3 shots per turn at 48 inch range is excellent for killing elite infantry and light to medium vehicles and has very good synergy with its other weapons, allowing to threaten another target or finish off the last few remaining models from a unit that was shot by one of the other knight weapons.

With all that firepower in one place, it is almost worth getting a cheap Divination librarian to buff him with Prescience.

The Crusader does seem to fill a valuable niche in dishing out large amounts of AP3. This allows them to threaten MCs and large tough units like Necrons and MEQs. This leaves our gravs/plasma/melta free to target the very tough stuff while DC and heavy flamer tac squads can mulch light infantry.

Archived