Templar Icons Graphic

Firepower

So I recently brought up the question of making stencils for Templar iconography in the P&M subforum, and our friendly neighborhood forumite CarbonBased kindly worked some of my ideas on to vector art to submit to a particular custom stencil company.

It's a splendid piece of work, and could be used for decals just as easily, so I decided to post it here for general consumption. Enjoy it as you will! smile.png

http://i.imgur.com/Pm6eojy.png

Although I am left wondering about stencil issues. O's, p's, and the like in text aren't exactly stencil friendly. I hadn't thought of that when I sent CarbonBased the idea. I'll let you all know what the stencil company says whenever I get around to contacting them.

Your plan was to make that whole sheet into a stencil?  How would that work out for painting?

Here's an idea I am gonna ask a friend about... What about having that sheet cut into like a vinyl sticker type sheet.  Then you could peel off portions to put on your models as a masking.  Spray then peel to reveal the image/words underneath.  Could that work?

Here's an idea I am gonna ask a friend about... What about having that sheet cut into like a vinyl sticker type sheet.  Then you could peel off portions to put on your models as a masking.  Spray then peel to reveal the image/words underneath.  Could that work?

Absolutely, I do that all the time when I want to put a Maltese cross on a large flat plane.

Absolutely, I do that all the time when I want to put a Maltese cross on a large flat plane.

Care to elaborate as to how this is done, so I don't have to pay some company $35 to do it for me? :D

I think the easiest way to use this is to print it using sticker paper. This allows you to create as many of these decals as you have sheets of paper, it's good quality, easy to use and not too expensive.

here's an example I have just found, probably best to find reviews from other players though.

http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Sticker-Paper-Inches-53202/dp/B000XALDGM/ref=sr_1_3?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1441982293&sr=1-3&keywords=printer+paper+sticker

yeah depending on the paper, some are for inkjet and others are for laser printers so just check whichever you buy. Any Library or printing shop can do it for you. 

Here's a quick example of how they work, they are larger than we would use obviously but remember they are clear where you haven't printed anything onto them. This means you cannot print white/ very light colours as most printers don't use white ink. 

Care to elaborate as to how this is done, so I don't have to pay some company $35 to do it for me?

Absolutely.

The concept itself is fairly simple, which is derived from the idea of "starting with the end in mind". In the following example, I wanted a white cross displayed from a black (or my armies definition of black) background.

Step 1 Spray the area the color you want shown last, i.e. the Maltese cross

gallery_15184_7227_48836.jpg

Step 2 Mask off the color you just applied. I generally do this for our crosses, but it can work with any shape

gallery_15184_7227_1016226.jpg

Step 3 Spray the background color

gallery_15184_7227_602306.jpg

Step 4 Peel the mask off

gallery_15184_7227_424622.jpg

Here's an example of the reverse, a black cross on a white background.

Step 1

gallery_15184_7227_245629.jpg

Step 2

gallery_15184_7227_380900.jpg

Step 3

gallery_15184_7227_501715.jpg

Step 4

gallery_15184_7227_80402.jpg

Because of the shape of the cross I use, I have to cut out each cross arm, which seems a little tedious, but after you pull the mask off and see all those straight lines you didn't have to paint by hand, then you don't even think about the Xacto work.

gallery_15184_7227_577408.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_29012.jpg

Bonus Caestus

gallery_15184_7227_650489.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_541527.jpg

Cheers,

Care to elaborate as to how this is done, so I don't have to pay some company $35 to do it for me?

Absolutely.

-snip-

Actually, I was asking about the "vinyl sticker type sheet" bit...whoops blush.png

A bit annoying really. I'd strongly prefer a stencil over a 'negative' stencil in almost any situation. It'd still be possible using the self printed stuff, of course, just by cutting out around the shape, sticking it on, and cutting out the shape itself second. I don't like cutting on my models, but I don't know if that material would be strong enough to peel from its backing once the shape has already been cut out, without tearing or ripping or warping.

Well no one said painting was supposed to be fun. Except some silly Air Force nutter in an afro. teehee.gif

Going through the discussion it becomes painfully obvious that a stencil is not what I though it to be. Firepower, would you are to elaborate on how you would use this ?

If it was a template to airbrush a shape, you wouldn't need multiples of the same cross, i guess.

The main perk would be that the symbol is already drawn on to the vinyl, rather than having to do it with each masking tape application.

Does this mean that you were considering leaving the vinyl sticker on the model?

If so, I don't think that is going to give the effect you are after. Even some brands of decal are too thick and end up looking like toy insignia. Vinyl is even thicker.

So like Ciler I am curious how you were thinking you'd use this.

Cheers,

Kind of amazing how confusing this has all gotten. laugh.png

My intent was/is to use the stencils as stencils. I'd cut the cross off of the sheet: not cutting out the shape, but cutting it out in a segment, as one would cut out a square around a decal. Apply said square of vinyl somewhere on the model. Once applied, cut out and remove the cross. Alternatively, cut the cross out before applying the vinyl to the model, depending on the durability of the vinyl material. Paint, peel away the vinyl, done.

The advantage to using this is that the shape is already drawn, so I would not have to measure out and draw one every time, as I would have to with basic masking tape. Also, the vinyl itself being clear gives me an advantage, because I will be able to see and match the shading of the symbol to the paint around it, rather than simply making a flat black or flat bone cross.

My intent was/is to use the stencils as stencils.  I'd cut the cross off of the sheet: not cutting out the shape, but cutting it out in a segment, as one would cut out a square around a decal.  Apply said square of vinyl somewhere on the model.  Once applied, cut out and remove the cross.  Alternatively, cut the cross out before applying the vinyl to the model, depending on the durability of the vinyl material.  Paint, peel away the vinyl, done.

You could have said this in the beginning and saved a number of us several hundred keystrokes. :P

Now, I'm with you.

My intent was/is to use the stencils as stencils. I'd cut the cross off of the sheet: not cutting out the shape, but cutting it out in a segment, as one would cut out a square around a decal. Apply said square of vinyl somewhere on the model. Once applied, cut out and remove the cross. Alternatively, cut the cross out before applying the vinyl to the model, depending on the durability of the vinyl material. Paint, peel away the vinyl, done.

You could have said this in the beginning and saved a number of us several hundred keystrokes. tongue.png

Now, I'm with you.

Not my fault you can't understand English, Mr. Snarkypants :P

• 1 month later...

Archived