Armies on Parade

march10k

Although I have no hopes of making it anywhere near nationals, I figure why not?  I was considering a valkyrie, a stormtrooper squad, and a commissar, using the crashed aquila scenery, theming the display "crash site secured, sir!  No survivors..."

But...that small number of models would be absolutely swallowed up by a 24"x24" display board, so I've shifted to a different idea..."The quality of quantity."  In four square feet, I'll pack in a shadowsword, seven russes, nine chimeras, two griffons, two hellhounds, four sentinels, and five fliers (four valks and an avenger).  I found some stuff at michaels to make the board, four 12"x12" birch plywood boards on 3/4" frames (I guess intended as a wooden "canvas" for painting?), some rounded edging that's the perfect width, a mitre box and saw to make the needed 45 degree cuts on the edging, four 12"x12" cork mats 1/4" thick to cut out holes for the bases of the fliers and sentinels, and wood glue.  Oh, and some bits to reinforce the joins among the four boards.  Pics up soon! 

I had to order the four boards, they only had three in store, but I've already set the models in place, traced the bases, and cut the cork.  

Ok! The boards arrived, and construction has begun...wood glue+only two clamps means slow going, but here are the first WIP pics. In the one pic, you can see the cork is cut for the flier and walker bases to sit in 1/4" depressions.

gallery_13203_9402_17199.jpg

gallery_13203_9402_72539.jpg

This is looking like a great start to the build of the board. The wooden things are mounting frames if I'm not mistaken. It's amazing what you can do with a bit of thinking outside the box. :tu:

Well, it's coming along nicely!

Here's what it looks like with the cork in place, before I put the edging on:

gallery_13203_9402_117499.jpg

And here's a shot of why I'm putting an edge band on. I don't like the seams between the four boxes, and I don't like the 1/4" plywood being visually separate from the frames (I'm not worried about the boards I used to strengthen the four seams):

gallery_13203_9402_47415.jpg

So here's a shot of the first of four edge pieces applied. The edging is flat on one side and rounded on the other, so I mitred the pieces. It worked out very well. After getting all four on and puttying the seams and gaps, it should look pretty decent under a coat of paint!

gallery_13203_9402_109746.jpg

Very nice clean start to the board, it looks like you have it well thought out.  It sounds like there is going to be a lot going on, do you have a rough sketch of how you are going to fit everything into the given space?

Look forward to seeing more.

Actually, the board itself will be kept clean, available for re-use in future projects...everything will be on these 1/4" thick cork mats that I found.  As for the "given space," there will be a few square inches not covered by flier/sent bases or the hulls of tanks...but only a few, given the theme.  I have one chimera to repair and one russ to finish (needs a turret and paint), but the meat of this project is the board...which is actually more technically interesting than visually interesting.  But I'm hopeful that the end result (cramming six billion points worth of vehicles into a thimble) will look good, even if the naked board is kind of boring.

Well...I got the cork mats spraypainted...then realized that the cutouts for the bases were too small!!! Had to shave them down. I'm also thinking that once they're flocked, I'll flip them over and join them by gluing the seams, then gluing paper over the seams to make a single mat that then can sit on the board...making it easier to recycle the board into a future display!

gallery_13203_9402_327933.jpg

Well...I made a big mistake...wrong gravel!!!

gallery_13203_9402_56235.jpg

Wrong size, wrong shade of gray. And it took me 20 minutes to find the container with the right blend in it when I discovered the error. No matter, I'll just have to spend a few hours I don't have gluing gravel onto gravel! ~ugh~ /edit/ on the plus side, this will double as an opportunity to cover the seams between the four cork mats (they would have been mostly hidden by vehicles anyway...mostly.

If you apply a 50:50 PVA/water mix and slap it over the wrong grit and then slap a different grit over the top you should get a decent layer of the right grit. It'll also help hide any joints if you've applied it to anywhere else.

Just make sure you seal over with a thinner layer of PVA/water mix to seal everything together 24hrs after.

Archived