Honor Guard and Company Champion

Arkangilos

Hello!

So I bought some forgeworld stuff today, and I have some plans for them! I'm not going to go into what the Blood Angel upgrade plans are, though. I've got a more important question to ask.

You see, I also bought the Centurion, who is going to be my Space Marine Master of the Fleet. His personal command squad (I still call them Honor Guard), is going to be a Breacher Squad. However, since 40k does not have breacher squads, I was going to turn them into a command squad. The breacher shields are going to be storm shields, they will all have bolters (or maybe spears?!). 

The thing is, it says, "All Veterans can upgrade to a storm shield" but the Company Champion has a separate profile. Do veteran upgrades also apply to the Champion? 

I mean, it really doesn't matter all that much (I haven't even gotten the Breachers yet. I totally forgot when I placed the order earlier).

What do you think?

The big debate is "but I can give a veteran a storm shield and then upgrade him to an apothecary surely?" as the rulebook doesn't state what order upgrades are applied to the model. It's one of those weird loopholes that yes, may be more of a rules as implied than rules as written thing.

Fluffwise, it makes sense to not upgrade them - the apothecary is busy helping the fallen and the champion has a champion load-out (if you can call a 6++ a champion load-out... Really GW?!?!)

As for the other veterans, breachers make for a fantastic Honour Guard with storm shields, though i'd definately suggest some special weapons though as the other 3 guys can lay down some Grav/ Melta/ Plasma/ Flamer into the enemy.

If you kit out your Master of the Fleet for combat they make a great supporting retinue, granting him multiple 3++ bodies with FNP with a challenge monkey in the guise of a champion. A lot of people on the boards have has success with a 3 plas/melta squad with shield and attached Mephiston in a drop pod. The guys keep Mephy alive from shooting and next turn he gets to destory a backfield unit :D

There is no apothecary upgrade option for BA. The BA command squad is comprised automatically of three "veterans", a "company champion", and a "sanguinary novitiate". It then goes on to say that any "veteran" can be upgraded to have a storm shield. 

It's really quite clear.  If any of the models could be upgraded, it would say any "model" can be upgraded to take a storm shield, not "veteran".

It's generally assumed that the Apothecary and Company Champion cannot take upgrades, as they aren't "Veterans".

GW haven't addressed it in several editions of FAQ requests.

thats because there is no assumption, no grey area, nada.

a sanguinary novitiate is not a veteran, neither is the company champion.

Well three of them could take the shield and bolter(or other guns), and the champ could have the sword and a shield. inally you could still model the novitiate with a honkin white shield to differentiate him and just not use its rules depending on your local group people may or may not accept that?

Archived