Why aren't terminator helmets gold?

Josh84

Back in 2nd edition days only certain special captains wore the golden armor, there were no golden helmets if I remember correctly. In fact I think Dante's honor guard had yellow helms (I need to check on this when I get home..). Then the color scheme overall changed a bit (less yellow, more black, golden helmets for power armored veterans etc.) for 3rd+ editions. I still paint my red guys close to 2nd edition schemes.

Here is an example of the 'legacy style' I've painted (love the model, it's from GD2012 and represents the 2nd edition starter box cover art).

Games Day 2012 Captain

I sadly missed out on that chappie Sivox. That's a nice paint job you've done there :) I personally like my models to look dark and gritty. I feel that even the dirt in the 41st millennium needs extra dirt!

And Paikis, you know how to make me blush like a little school girl! I'll pop a picture up when they're done.

What was cool though was that Fahlnor found that six minutes after Josh84's post about missing out on it smile.png

This has been a great thread though. Never would have thought to paint terminator helmets gold if you all hadn't asked the question. I'm totally won over though. Someday, when I finally get my hands on a box of BA assault terminators, I'll know without question that their helmets are going to be painted gold.

I think Tycho has golden armour due to how his 'history' came about. 

Back in WD issue 139 there was an article by Andy Chambers on the studios Blood Angel army, and a panting section by (I think) Tim Prow. To make the Commander stand out from the rest of the army it was painted in a (what we could probably call proto) NMM scheme and was named Tycho . When 2nd ed dropped the battle report in WD (166?) had Blood Angels vs Orks. The Blood Angels commander was the same mini used in the 1st ed army, again they used the name Tycho and he ended up getting 'killed' by an Ork Weirdboy. Tycho's fluff picks up after that point with the old phantom of the opera mask and his hatred of greenskins. I think the golden armour was a natural progression to the awful NMM scheme that came before. 

Thanks for the kind words.

SlaveToDarkenss; I didn't know all that about Tycho being gold.  Having only recently picked up the Blood Angels I've been absent from their history within the hobby.  When I raised the original question about helmet colour it occurred to me that its only a couple of the special characters who wore gold, yet none of the other HQ models did.  When I come to paint my HQ I shall have to decide if I shall paint him red or gold.

I dunno, call me old school space hulk, but BA terminators have always been red giants. So much so that the gold helmets look almost comical. Which is strange because I love the look of BA veterans in power armor with gold helmets.

I guess I'm a little old school when it comes to BA terminators :0

Archived