Blood Talon rule clarification ....

Helias_Tancred

Hail Noble sons of Sanguinius.

I was arguing that right now BA players get a little hosed on their dreadnought's # of attacks since in the C:SM and C:DA their's has been increased to 4, which is a big boon to dreadnoughts in general. I said there should be an errata update etc but announced that if I'm playing a BA player I'd feel douschy not giving their Furioso 4 attacks like my dreads.

Well lo' and behold a local genius spoke up about this is "as designed" by GW since BA dreads get the blood talon or blood claw option. Now I know it can be a very nice CC weapon on a dreadnought but its not anywhere OP or anything last I knew?

This guy actually is the local village idiot so I took it all with a grain of salt. But just checking here.

Blood claws are nice. I can't tell you the number of times I roll the "1" to wound. Being able to re-roll those 1's in key situations is golden. 

However, the blood claws don't make up for not having 4 attacks. One thing that does help make up for it is casting the quickening on a Furioso Librarian or Cassor the Damned. 

It can be a slippery slope. Are you also going to give the BA player BS/WS 4 on their scouts? Purchase terminators for 5 less points per model? Allow their Vanguard vets take power weapons for 5 points like the vanilla codex instead of the 15 points in the BA codex? Lower the cost of their command squad by 10 points? Force the BA player to spend 65 points on a techmarine instead of 50 points?

I love my BA, but I play them as written in the codex and wouldn't allow any opponents to cut me slack just b/c the vanilla codex has some advantages over the BA codex. 

It can be a slippery slope. Are you also going to give the BA player BS/WS 4 on their scouts? Purchase terminators for 5 less points per model? Allow their Vanguard vets take power weapons for 5 points like the vanilla codex instead of the 15 points in the BA codex? Lower the cost of their command squad by 10 points? Force the BA player to spend 65 points on a techmarine instead of 50 points?

I love my BA, but I play them as written in the codex and wouldn't allow any opponents to cut me slack just b/c the vanilla codex has some advantages over the BA codex.

This. Just grin and bear it, one day GW might get their act together and sort us out.

D

Yes I would.  As far as points go I haven't considered that aspect. I do however feel strongly about the # of attack increase for dreadnoughts and the stat line increase for scouts, which used to be a shared stat line among astartes codices.

You may consider it cutting slack, and I respect that, but I also consider it an honor issue given a situation for which GW should have issued an errata.

Ultimately I would give my blood angel opponent the choice to use 4 attacks for his dreadnought and the increased BS/WS for his scouts. I feel that is fair and honorable. Call it a "Gentleman's Agreement". ;)

And we sons of Dorn hold our honor above all else :)

Shred on S10 because reasons?

Probably because they are giant lightning claws - in which case that logic would imply that they would be STR 6.

Would you accept five attacks base for the Death Company Dreadnought, with strength six and Shred for Blood Talons in a future update? Maybe with the removal of the points increase...

You could, of course, drop your stats down to their previous level msn-wink.gif

Also, they are Blood Talons! Looking at the title keeps making me wonder why we have a Space Wolves thread on our board tongue.png

I was so confused to begin with laugh.png

For points purposes I see Talons as worth it, re roll that pesky one and win the game msn-wink.gif

Props for being honourable with the askew stats though - we who defended the Palace need to stick together.

It does make me laugh though that Bjorn has 4 attacks and that was considered amazing. With an update he'd need to have 6 at least.

...Also dreads should get a stomp or something, but I digress ;)

You could, of course, drop your stats down to their previous level msn-wink.gif

Also, they are Blood Talons! Looking at the title keeps making me wonder why we have a Space Wolves thread on our board tongue.png

I was so confused to begin with laugh.png

For points purposes I see Talons as worth it, re roll that pesky one and win the game msn-wink.gif

Props for being honourable with the askew stats though - we who defended the Palace need to stick together.

It does make me laugh though that Bjorn has 4 attacks and that was considered amazing. With an update he'd need to have 6 at least.

...Also dreads should get a stomp or something, but I digress msn-wink.gif

Agree and agreed. And aye brother, we who defended the palace have bonds which can never be severed!

Archived