Mud weathering in DA Codex

Dillithium

Greetings,

If you'd be so kind to turn to page 134 of our current DA codex, I have a question about the Whirlwind painted by GW.

I'm very curious as to how the mud weathering is achievend on the hull. Does anyone have an idea? My local GW said a layer of Rhinox Hide with a highlight of Gorthor brown, but I feel that it may be typhus corrosion?

I really like the look of the mud weathering on that whirlwind, so I'm looking to recreate it. Any tips or advice how to achieve this would be appreciated. I posted it here, rather than PCA because you need the DA codex for the example.

I'm not a fan of using pigments, so I hope it's not that.

Thank you in advance!

Looks like a scrubbed on drybrush of dark brown, followed by a lighter shade of brown put on more lightly using the same technique. Use a larger, low quality brush to do this, as you will be abusing the brush to achieve this look. I would recommend putting some mud on the tracks too, rather than leave them spotless as they are in the pic (silly "Eavy Metal team). tongue.png

I use a sponge.

Scortched brown base, bestial brown mid coat, graveyard earth top coat. Each layer is applied progressively lighter and as shabbadoo says... Don't forget the tracks too :)

Archived